Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is this lighting system good?

Is this lighting system good?

Graytown

Hi guys,

I have seen this system on Ebay that I'm keen on buying.

But will this serve my interests well if I were to use it for tabletop
photography or shooting say a hotel room?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll...tem=3831242709

Thanks

Rohit

dadiOH

Graytown wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have seen this system on Ebay that I'm keen on buying.
>
> But will this serve my interests well if I were to use it for
> tabletop photography or shooting say a hotel room?

I'm not familiar with the brand but offer some general comments...

1. Watt seconds is a poor measurement of light emitting capability but - for
"studio" strobes - it is very low. Keep in mind that soft boxes/umbrellas
will also decrease the effectiveness of raw light output by a couple of
stops.

When I was in the biz - mostly portrait - I used Balcar stuff. Had 4 -
1200ws power packs, total of 4800ws. Mostly used 400 ws per light and shot
at f 8 with ISO 160 Vericolor, main light with umbrella/softbox maybe 5-6
feet from subject.

2. A 50 watt modeling light would be useable if the room you are shooting in
has no other light; otherwise, you might as well turn it off. My Balcar
heads had 150w quartz bulbs and I always turned off all room lights to see
effectively with them.

3. I see no mention of reflectors other than the softboxes. Nor of other
available light modifying accessories such as grids, barn doors, diffusers,
gels, etc. Umbrella/softboxes are extremely useful; however, their
popularity over the last 25-30 years means that many photographers do not
know about nor how to use "hard" reflectors and light modifiers. A real
shame because their use not only helps create striking photograps but also
teaches one about how to *use* light.

4. Portability. That aspect seems good. If schlepping a bunch of stuff
around can ever be considered "good". I had a couple of small, similar AC
units and one AC/DC unit for "away" work though I often used the Balcars
too.

5. Price. Lord knows they are cheap enough. Lord also knows that there is
no free lunch, that one gets what one pays for. Not saying that these are
bad because I don't know but if I were going to set up shop again (no way,
50 years was plenty) I would seriously consider White Lighning
equipment...good, reliable, useable stuff and decent prices. No where near
as inexpensive as the eBay lights but inexpensive for pro grade equipment.
http://www.white-lightning.com/

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Randall Ainsworth

> When I was in the biz - mostly portrait - I used Balcar stuff. Had 4 -
> 1200ws power packs, total of 4800ws. Mostly used 400 ws per light and shot
> at f 8 with ISO 160 Vericolor, main light with umbrella/softbox maybe 5-6
> feet from subject.

Jeez! You don't need to blast 'em with that much light. I used to do
it with maybe 100W on the main light at the most.

Gene Palmiter

Looks like a decent place to start. You are going to make mistakes the same
as you did with your first camera. Not that its bad...just that it won't be
good enough. But until you buy something and find out what works and what
doesn't how will you know what you like? I have a couple of cheap
strobes...and I need more. My next ones will be better but I will still find
uses for my older ones.

"Graytown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%XmSc.2122$(E-Mail Removed). rogers.com...
> Hi guys,
>
> I have seen this system on Ebay that I'm keen on buying.
>
> But will this serve my interests well if I were to use it for tabletop
> photography or shooting say a hotel room?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll...tem=3831242709
>
> Thanks
>
> Rohit

RonFrank

For this price, IMO purchase one Alien Bee monolight, or a White Lightning
monolight with stand and umbrella and softbox.

There is an old saying measure twice, cut once. In this case I suggest
making a purchase that you will not have to duplicate.

The kit you are looking at is rather junky, and the lighting included lacks
some of the most basic features found in most all lightinig, even low end.
I would suggest purchasing one monolight at a time if money is the issue
rather than buying a VERY low end kit.

Thes units do not offer evan the basic ability to alter the light output. So
you can not achieve even the most basic of lighting ratios without having to
move the lights away from the subject.

Ron

"Graytown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%XmSc.2122$(E-Mail Removed). rogers.com...
> Hi guys,
>
> I have seen this system on Ebay that I'm keen on buying.
>
> But will this serve my interests well if I were to use it for tabletop
> photography or shooting say a hotel room?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll...tem=3831242709
>
> Thanks
>
> Rohit

Tony Spadaro

Those cheap heads sell for well under 100 dollars new (the small one goes
for about 25 bucks) and last a few months. You can get a better price off
the ads in Shutterbug.
White the heads areey are junk of the lowest order. I can't comment on
the stands or softboxes as everyone I've known who wasted money on that
junk - which is available under several brand names - has not had them last
long enough to accessorize - but in general cheap lights come with very
flimsy stands.
Instead of doing it the dumb way (ie picking out a POS and then asking
everyone about it), why don't you get smart, do some research and then see
if anyone is selling something worth having on ebay. Or better yet buy from
Paul Buff and forget about the junk.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Graytown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%XmSc.2122$(E-Mail Removed). rogers.com...
> Hi guys,
>
> I have seen this system on Ebay that I'm keen on buying.
>
> But will this serve my interests well if I were to use it for tabletop

Graytown

Thanks a ton for all the good advice.

Here's what I think so far....

1. One gets what one pays for. So obviously I'm not getting top quality
stuff at this price.
2. As would be evident, I'm just starting out using lights and this would be
my first purchase. That's why I asked around as I didn't even have a
starting point to begin with on what's "good" or "acceptable". And so, I
will learn more as I go along with "any" first set - and more after I make a
few mistakes.
3. I would tend to go with Ron's advice about purchasing something basic
(but half decent) and working my way up. Ron, any suggestions on a reliable
source to buy these from? Considering I'm in Canada, it would need to be an
online source.
4. DadiOH, thanks for the terific advice.

Clearly, considering that I was totally clueless about this 24 hrs back,
thanks for giving me a starting point.

Rohit

--
http://www.graytown.ca
Design - Photography - Hospitality Marketing Solutions

"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rgpSc.5411$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Graytown wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I have seen this system on Ebay that I'm keen on buying.
> >
> > But will this serve my interests well if I were to use it for
> > tabletop photography or shooting say a hotel room?

> I'm not familiar with the brand but offer some general comments...
>
> 1. Watt seconds is a poor measurement of light emitting capability but -

for
> "studio" strobes - it is very low. Keep in mind that soft boxes/umbrellas
> will also decrease the effectiveness of raw light output by a couple of
> stops.
>
> When I was in the biz - mostly portrait - I used Balcar stuff. Had 4 -
> 1200ws power packs, total of 4800ws. Mostly used 400 ws per light and

shot
> at f 8 with ISO 160 Vericolor, main light with umbrella/softbox maybe 5-6
> feet from subject.
>
> 2. A 50 watt modeling light would be useable if the room you are shooting

in
> has no other light; otherwise, you might as well turn it off. My Balcar
> heads had 150w quartz bulbs and I always turned off all room lights to see
> effectively with them.
>
> 3. I see no mention of reflectors other than the softboxes. Nor of other
> available light modifying accessories such as grids, barn doors,

diffusers,
> gels, etc. Umbrella/softboxes are extremely useful; however, their
> popularity over the last 25-30 years means that many photographers do not
> know about nor how to use "hard" reflectors and light modifiers. A real
> shame because their use not only helps create striking photograps but also
> teaches one about how to *use* light.
>
> 4. Portability. That aspect seems good. If schlepping a bunch of stuff
> around can ever be considered "good". I had a couple of small, similar AC
> units and one AC/DC unit for "away" work though I often used the Balcars
> too.
>
> 5. Price. Lord knows they are cheap enough. Lord also knows that there

is
> no free lunch, that one gets what one pays for. Not saying that these are
> bad because I don't know but if I were going to set up shop again (no way,
> 50 years was plenty) I would seriously consider White Lighning
> equipment...good, reliable, useable stuff and decent prices. No where

near
> as inexpensive as the eBay lights but inexpensive for pro grade equipment.
> http://www.white-lightning.com/
>
> --
> dadiOH
> _____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
> ____________________________

Crownfield

http://www.alienbees.com/

> [...]

> > too.
> >
> > 5. Price. Lord knows they are cheap enough. Lord also knows that there

> is
> > no free lunch, that one gets what one pays for. Not saying that these are
> > bad because I don't know but if I were going to set up shop again (no way,
> > 50 years was plenty) I would seriously consider White Lighning
> > equipment...good, reliable, useable stuff and decent prices. No where

> near
> > as inexpensive as the eBay lights but inexpensive for pro grade equipment.
> > http://www.white-lightning.com/
> >
> > --
> > dadiOH
> > _____________________________
> >
> > dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
> > ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
> > LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.

Charlie Self

Graytown asks:

>Thanks a ton for all the good advice.
>
>Here's what I think so far....
>
>1. One gets what one pays for. So obviously I'm not getting top quality
>stuff at this price.
>2. As would be evident, I'm just starting out using lights and this would be
>my first purchase. That's why I asked around as I didn't even have a
>starting point to begin with on what's "good" or "acceptable". And so, I
>will learn more as I go along with "any" first set - and more after I make a
>few mistakes.
>3. I would tend to go with Ron's advice about purchasing something basic
>(but half decent) and working my way up. Ron, any suggestions on a reliable
>source to buy these from? Considering I'm in Canada, it would need to be an
>online source.
>4. DadiOH, thanks for the terific advice.
>
>Clearly, considering that I was totally clueless about this 24 hrs back,
>thanks for giving me a starting point.

Go to www.alienbees.com and check out their Busy Bees package. $599, two B400
units, two light stands, two umbrellae.

I've got one White Lightning, old style, and a new B800 Alien Bee light.
Excellent products at better than excellent costs. Reputable company that has
been around a while--I bought my first WL back in '84 or '85.

Charlie Self
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
Baker

leo

"Graytown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%XmSc.2122$(E-Mail Removed). rogers.com...
> Hi guys,
>
> I have seen this system on Ebay that I'm keen on buying.
>
> But will this serve my interests well if I were to use it for tabletop
> photography or shooting say a hotel room?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll...tem=3831242709
>
> Thanks
>
> Rohit

Why do you choose Strobe over Continuous lighting? The places you describe
would have power sockets.

Lighting having no effect Dave Java 0 04-13-2006 06:36 PM
Point and shoot that will work with pro lighting system? Samson Digital Photography 6 04-10-2006 02:57 AM
Window Engraving and Lighting nickbird Case Modding 4 01-09-2006 12:08 PM
Meridian XCLIO Aurora+P Lighting Mouse Pad Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-29-2005 05:33 PM
Need suggestion for basic lighting system for taking portraits at home with DSLR Mike Digital Photography 19 06-20-2004 11:06 PM

Advertisments