Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > diminishing capacity of CF cards

diminishing capacity of CF cards

imbsysop

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in message news:%9qSc.3371$(E-Mail Removed)...
> imbsysop wrote:
> []
> >> The other thing to check is the ISO setting you have. The number of
> >> pictures indicated diminishes as the ISO is increased.

> > care to explain that statement ? given the nature of an ISO setting in
> > digital the correlation you make escapes to me ..

> I wondered about that as well - more ISO, more noise, less effectiveness
> of JPEG compression, larger file size, smaller capacity.
> Some cameras do reflect this when making a free sapce estimate.

ok thnx .. seems very acceptable as an explanation but I still wonder if the
noise effect would have such drastical effect on jpg compression ?

David J Taylor

imbsysop wrote:
[]
> ok thnx .. seems very acceptable as an explanation but I still wonder
> if the noise effect would have such drastical effect on jpg
> compression ?

In my experience, the manufacturers (or ratherm the firmware designers)
tend to be conservative in their estimates. Why not try taking a photo
with different ISO and test for yourself? My ISO 800 pictures are
certainly bigger than my ISO 100/200 ones, and not surprisingly the come
down in size when processed for noise reduction.

Cheers,
David

JPS@no.komm

In message <411a24bb$0$307$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"imbsysop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>care to explain that statement ? given the nature of an ISO setting in
>digital the correlation you make escapes to me ..

Compressibility is dependent on high-frequency detail. High ISO images
tend to have more noise, and therefore, more "detail", even if it isn't
detail from the real-world scene that was photographed.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Keith Nuttle

I do not experience any loss of space. However there have been a couple
of times when I stored a non image file on the card, forgot about it and
was surprise when the card capacity decreased.

Also on my Olympus, the pictures are placed in directory that is nested
two deep. If you put pictures in one that the camera is not aware of it
will appear the the card loses capacity.

schuetzen - RKBA! wrote:
> Canon 300D
> Large Fine jpeg
> Sandisk Extreme 256mb cards
>
> when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
> capacity of 77 pix
>
> after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64
>
> what is going on? How can I recover that capacity??
>
> thanks
>
> --
> chas
> The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

schuetzen - RKBA!

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:25:43 -0500, schuetzen - RKBA! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
>capacity of 77 pix

I always format in the camera, regardless if there are 10 pix on the card or 77.
good point on the ISO, will check that. could be exactly the problem.
really appreciate the help, good people here.

thanks
--
chas
The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

Phil Stripling

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, schuetzen -
RKBA! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>SNIP<
> when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
> capacity of 77 pix
>
> after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64
>SNIP<

Are you formatting the cards in the camera? If not, try that.