Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > diminishing capacity of CF cards

diminishing capacity of CF cards

schuetzen - RKBA!

Canon 300D
Large Fine jpeg
Sandisk Extreme 256mb cards

when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
capacity of 77 pix

after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64

what is going on? How can I recover that capacity??

thanks

--
chas
The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

Bob Williams

schuetzen - RKBA! wrote:
> Canon 300D
> Large Fine jpeg
> Sandisk Extreme 256mb cards
>
> when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
> capacity of 77 pix
>
> after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64
>
> what is going on? How can I recover that capacity??
>
> thanks
>
> --
> chas
> The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

If you are DELETING ALL the images to refresh the card, try re-formating it.
Have you changed the degree of compression of your saved images?
Bob Williams.

Robert Austin

"schuetzen - RKBA!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message > Canon 300D
> Large Fine jpeg
> Sandisk Extreme 256mb cards
>
> when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
> capacity of 77 pix
>
> after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64
>
> what is going on? How can I recover that capacity??

The other thing to check is the ISO setting you have. The number of
pictures indicated diminishes as the ISO is increased.

Robert.

HRosita

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
>capacity of 77 pix
>
>after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64

Assuming nothing else has changed, the number is really only an estimate that
changes as you take pictures.
How long since you have reformated the card? Sometime space gets lost.
Reformat and see what happens.
Rosita

imbsysop

"Robert Austin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "schuetzen - RKBA!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message > Canon 300D
> > Large Fine jpeg
> > Sandisk Extreme 256mb cards
> >
> > when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed

> > capacity of 77 pix
> >
> > after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64
> >
> > what is going on? How can I recover that capacity??
> >

> The other thing to check is the ISO setting you have. The number of
> pictures indicated diminishes as the ISO is increased.

care to explain that statement ? given the nature of an ISO setting in
digital the correlation you make escapes to me ..

David J Taylor

imbsysop wrote:
[]
>> The other thing to check is the ISO setting you have. The number of
>> pictures indicated diminishes as the ISO is increased.

> care to explain that statement ? given the nature of an ISO setting in
> digital the correlation you make escapes to me ..

I wondered about that as well - more ISO, more noise, less effectiveness
of JPEG compression, larger file size, smaller capacity.
Some cameras do reflect this when making a free sapce estimate.

Cheers,
David

Bill Hilton

>> The other thing to check is the ISO setting you have. The number of
>> pictures indicated diminishes as the ISO is increased.

>From: "imbsysop" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>
>care to explain that statement ? given the nature of an ISO setting in
>digital the correlation you make escapes to me ..

Higher ISO means noiser files. Noisier files mean the jpegs don't compress as
well.

Robert Austin

> > The other thing to check is the ISO setting you have. The number of
> > pictures indicated diminishes as the ISO is increased.

> care to explain that statement ? given the nature of an ISO setting in
> digital the correlation you make escapes to me ..

The original poster has a 300D like myself and I have found this to be the
case. I assume it is, as other posters have said, that higher ISO files are
noisier and therefore the remaining shots estimate takes into account that
JPEG compression will be less effective.

Robert.

Dave Cohen

HRosita wrote:

>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
>>capacity of 77 pix
>>
>>after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64

> Assuming nothing else has changed, the number is really only an estimate that
> changes as you take pictures.
> How long since you have reformated the card? Sometime space gets lost.
> Reformat and see what happens.
> Rosita

I really believe if you delete ALL the images on a card, you reclaim all
the available capacity. Having said that, I must admit I reformat in the
camera if a lot of images are involved, it's quicker. I believe the op
was referring to the capacity on an empty card.
Dave Cohen

Roger Halstead

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:25:43 -0500, schuetzen - RKBA!
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Canon 300D
>Large Fine jpeg
>Sandisk Extreme 256mb cards
>
>when I first started using these cards, the newly formatted card showed a
>capacity of 77 pix
>
>after about 15 or 20 uses, it is down to about 64
>
>what is going on? How can I recover that capacity??

Do you delete/move all images off the card?
If so there is no reason I can see for the camera to change it's
estimate of how many shots are left.

I have three 256 Meg cards I've been using for over 2 1/2 years and
they have only been formatted twice and that was part of an
experiment. I have a 1 Gig CF I have never formatted. I just took it
out of the box and used it. I even use the cards interchangeably
between my D-70 and E-20N. They each create their own directory
structure, but work quite well. In all that time and use I've not
noticed any drop in capacity shown in either camera. I don't know how
well this would work with other camera manufacturers, but as the CF is
treaded just like a FAT16 hard drive in both cameras, and the card
reader, it should work with most any camera. The directories are
dynamic in that they change size with the number of images.

A format only removes the directory pointers and file pointers. A
delete only removes the file pointers. Neither destroys the actual
information which can be found using a good file restoration program
unless new images have been written to the card.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com