Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Bad sector on a Microdrive?

Bad sector on a Microdrive?

Tom Nelson

I have a 1GB IBM Microdrive that might have a bad sector about 2/3 of
the way through. It's taken awhile to diagnose since I don't usually
fill the drive that far. The symptom is a single image which is
corrupted and can't be opened, copied or otherwise used. The bad image
doesn't usually happen while I'm shooting fast or when the battery is
low.

How can I diagnose and fix this problem? I've got Win 98 and Max OS X
10.3.

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

Jeff Shoaf

Tom Nelson wrote:
> I have a 1GB IBM Microdrive that might have a bad sector about 2/3 of
> the way through. It's taken awhile to diagnose since I don't usually
> fill the drive that far. The symptom is a single image which is
> corrupted and can't be opened, copied or otherwise used. The bad image
> doesn't usually happen while I'm shooting fast or when the battery is
> low.
>
> How can I diagnose and fix this problem? I've got Win 98 and Max OS X
> 10.3.
>
> Tom Nelson
> Tom Nelson Photography

Have you reformatted the drive?

HRosita

Hi,

Try formating it in the computer (if you have a card reader). It should tell
you if there are bad sectors.
I don't remember exactly but Win98 has a Scandisk or Chckdisk function (look it
up in Help) that will let you analyse the drive.
Rosita