Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon digital cameras on 5vdc instead of 4.3vdc?

Canon digital cameras on 5vdc instead of 4.3vdc?

Ethan

I saw some postings from rec.photo.digital history indicating people
were running Canon digital cameras on 5vdc versus the 4.3vdc
advertised on the various power supplies.

Has anyone run into problems? I'm going to be driving an A40 most
likely.

In my particular application, the 5vdc would be coming from a nice
switch mode power supply running a PC.

The duty cycle will be nasty, possibly a picture every 30 minutes,
every minute of the day, every day of a year... with the camera
mounted in a home brew box outside.... Hope the motor mechanism
doesn't die. The heat from the unit should keep the box warm in the
winter.

Allodoxaphobia

On 10 Aug 2004 10:12:10 -0700, Ethan hath writ:
> I saw some postings from rec.photo.digital history indicating people
> were running Canon digital cameras on 5vdc versus the 4.3vdc
> advertised on the various power supplies.
> Has anyone run into problems? I'm going to be driving an A40 most
> likely.
> In my particular application, the 5vdc would be coming from a nice
> switch mode power supply running a PC.

Since you seem to be implying that you lashing this all up on
your own: Simply run the 5VDC through a 1AMP silicon diode --
thence on to the camera. The diode will yield a stiff .6 to .7 volt
drop.

That's how I've "adjusted" several 9VDC wallwarts to be used with
my "8.3VDC" Kodak and Nikon.

> The duty cycle will be nasty, possibly a picture every 30 minutes,
> every minute of the day, every day of a year... with the camera
> mounted in a home brew box outside.... Hope the motor mechanism
> doesn't die. The heat from the unit should keep the box warm in the
> winter.

"...every 30 minutes" ?? ITYM: every 30 seconds?

"Motor mechanism"? Do you mean focus? Set it on infinity (or
point the idiot dial to the mountain pictograph) and have at it.

HTH
Jonesy
--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
| 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK

Dave Martindale

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ethan) writes:
>I saw some postings from rec.photo.digital history indicating people
>were running Canon digital cameras on 5vdc versus the 4.3vdc
>advertised on the various power supplies.

I've done it with an A80. No apparent problems.

Nor would I expect any. The camera is designed to run from 4 AA cells.
If those AAs are alkalines, the voltage ranges anywhere from 6+V (fresh)
down to 4 V (dead). The power supply needs to be designed to cope with
that range at least.

Dave

Ethan

> Since you seem to be implying that you lashing this all up on
> your own: Simply run the 5VDC through a 1AMP silicon diode --
> thence on to the camera. The diode will yield a stiff .6 to .7 volt
> drop.
> That's how I've "adjusted" several 9VDC wallwarts to be used with
> my "8.3VDC" Kodak and Nikon.

Ah much thanks. I plan to build a board that hangs from the parallel
port that allows the computer to toggle power to the unit, just in
case.

> "...every 30 minutes" ?? ITYM: every 30 seconds?

No, every 30 minutes night and day.

> "Motor mechanism"? Do you mean focus? Set it on infinity (or
> point the idiot dial to the mountain pictograph) and have at it.
> HTH
> Jonesy

When I was experimenting with my S200, I noticed that in "picture
taking mode" the camera did not respond to USB. I switched to playback
mode, the lens retracts and then the camera is availible to the host.
I used the Linux utility Gphoto2 to trigger an image capture, the
camera switches to photo shoot mode, lens comes out, it takes photo,
then it totally retracts again. This means in order to take a photo it
will run thru this cycle all day and night, all year long.

We will see how they last

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) (Ethan) wrote:

> I saw some postings from rec.photo.digital history indicating people
> were running Canon digital cameras on 5vdc versus the 4.3vdc
> advertised on the various power supplies.
>
> Has anyone run into problems? I'm going to be driving an A40 most
> likely.
>
> In my particular application, the 5vdc would be coming from a nice
> switch mode power supply running a PC.
>
> The duty cycle will be nasty, possibly a picture every 30 minutes,
> every minute of the day, every day of a year... with the camera
> mounted in a home brew box outside.... Hope the motor mechanism
> doesn't die. The heat from the unit should keep the box warm in the
> winter.

Batteries put out a very wide range of voltages. I wouldn't worry the
least bit about +/- 1V from the rated battery voltage.

I wouldn't use a computer power supply unless you can dig up the spec
sheet for it. Some of them need a minimum load to keep them stable. A
general purpose 5V switching power supply doesn't cost much. You can
buy them as wall warts and open frame.

Try this link for open frame power supplies:
http://www.meanwell.com/
Some of their power supplies are sold at electronics hobby stores.
Model S-15-5 is adjustable from 4.56 to 5.85 volts and supplies 0A to 3A.

Rat-Shack sometimes sells wall warts with well-regulated switching power
supplies.