Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OT: XP SP2 is no bowl of cherries

OT: XP SP2 is no bowl of cherries

Alan Browne

The braintrust at MS have done it yet again!

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/4063/040810usersreport/

From the article.

"Tests suggest that there are some unusual and as yet unexplained
features in SP2. For example, one test center reportedly
installed SP2 and found it caused BSDs (blue screens of death).
Using Microsoft's own suggested procedure to roll back to a
pre-installation environment, they found that it also uninstalled
SP1, and "uninstalled every device that existed in the PC.
Network cards, video cards and all system resources were
uninstalled.""

I guess I'll turn off the auto-update until more real world
testing occurs.

Cheers,
Alan

Andrew Morris

I beta tested, and have now gone to SP2 build 2180, which is the RTM version
on several machines...

no bad experiences at all...

"Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vv4Sc.24575$(E-Mail Removed)...

> The braintrust at MS have done it yet again!
>
> http://www.itworld.com/Comp/4063/040810usersreport/
>
> From the article.
>
> "Tests suggest that there are some unusual and as yet unexplained
> features in SP2. For example, one test center reportedly
> installed SP2 and found it caused BSDs (blue screens of death).
> Using Microsoft's own suggested procedure to roll back to a
> pre-installation environment, they found that it also uninstalled
> SP1, and "uninstalled every device that existed in the PC.
> Network cards, video cards and all system resources were
> uninstalled.""
>
> I guess I'll turn off the auto-update until more real world
> testing occurs.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan
>
> --
> -- rec.photo.equipment.35mm user resource:
> -- http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Alan Browne

Andrew Morris wrote:

> I beta tested, and have now gone to SP2 build 2180, which is the RTM version
> on several machines...
>
> no bad experiences at all...

Glad to hear it. One for the + column. But I'll wait for a
statistically significant number of samples!

Cheers,
Alan.

Patrick L.

"Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vv4Sc.24575$(E-Mail Removed)...

> The braintrust at MS have done it yet again!
>
> http://www.itworld.com/Comp/4063/040810usersreport/

I will wait till SP2 matures, before installing.

Patrick

Sabineellen

>Glad to hear it. One for the + column. But I'll wait for a
>statistically significant number of samples!
>
>Cheers,
>Alan.

It's been running for a day on my machine now, not long enough to report
anything conclusive, but all i can say is that i can see so far that it
significantly enhances the responsiveness of my system. Main problem i had with
it so far is that some of my applications don't like the firewall but this has
happened with every firewall i installed. No other problems yet.

columbotrek

Alan Browne wrote:

> The braintrust at MS have done it yet again!
>
> http://www.itworld.com/Comp/4063/040810usersreport/
>
> From the article.
>
> "Tests suggest that there are some unusual and as yet unexplained
> features in SP2. For example, one test center reportedly installed SP2
> and found it caused BSDs (blue screens of death). Using Microsoft's own
> suggested procedure to roll back to a pre-installation environment, they
> found that it also uninstalled SP1, and "uninstalled every device that
> existed in the PC. Network cards, video cards and all system resources
> were uninstalled.""
>
> I guess I'll turn off the auto-update until more real world testing occurs.

I also beta tested XP SP2 (RC1 & RC2) on my Dell. There were some
quirkiness with RC1 but it went away with RC2. SP2 works great.
Internet Exploreror's pop up blocker is a bit over agressive blocking a
lot of good pop ups. Mozilla's broswer is smarter with its pop up
blocker. It blocks all the ads while allowing the wanted popups. I like
SP2's flexiable firewall and autoupdate features as well. Best OS from
Microsoft so far. I read about some problems with older drivers. But I
have not had any. But then I keep my drivers updated.

Chris B

"Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R55Sc.24593$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andrew Morris wrote:
>
> > I beta tested, and have now gone to SP2 build 2180, which is the RTM

version
> > on several machines...
> >
> > no bad experiences at all...
> >

> Glad to hear it. One for the + column. But I'll wait for a
> statistically significant number of samples!
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

We have one machine here with a release candidate version of SP2 - no
problems, other than the user reporting that he now gets a message every
time a document successfully prints (instead of only when it fails), which
he described as 'annoying'.

Chris

Alan Browne

Chris B wrote:

> We have one machine here with a release candidate version of SP2 - no
> problems, other than the user reporting that he now gets a message every
> time a document successfully prints (instead of only when it fails), which
> he described as 'annoying'.

There's probably a setting buried somewhere that he can change...

Brian C. Baird

In article <vv4Sc.24575$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I guess I'll turn off the auto-update until more real world
> testing occurs.

Last I checked, Service Packs weren't distributed through auto update.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

David J Taylor

Brian C. Baird wrote:
> In article <vv4Sc.24575$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> I guess I'll turn off the auto-update until more real world
>> testing occurs.

> Last I checked, Service Packs weren't distributed through auto update.

There appears to have been a change of mind.

Cheers,
David

What is the best product to Clean Toilet bowl ring from Hard Water Stain? Arawak Computer Support 12 02-24-2011 02:19 PM
OT: How about that Super Bowl??? Robert Williams MCSE 121 02-08-2006 09:52 PM
OT: MSCE Bowl kpg MCSE 5 01-05-2006 04:52 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: THE SUPER BOWL SHUFFLE: 20TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTOR'S EDITION and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 11-05-2004 10:08 AM
SUPER BOWL GALA EVENT, tickets available TheLeiterSideYGB DVD Video 1 01-06-2004 11:55 PM

Advertisments