Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 300D

mickey

I bought a 300D two weeks ago. I only had it for five days when my daughter
dropped it and did some serious damage. It still works and takes great
images but I get an error message with every shot which means I have to turn
it off and then on again..........just a nuisance for now. My flash doesnt
work properly either. I think it is misaligned somehow because it fires okay
but it won't light up whatever the subject is! I intend getting it repaired
but I can't right now until my original camera comes back from Pentax where
it too is being repaired. But my main query here is, I have read the manual
and want to try and change the ISO but when I press the little arrow,
nothing happens. The default ISO of 100 isn't on display. So, I wonder if I
am doing something wrong or if this is part of the damage done through the
fall. Can anyone offer any advice to keep me going in the meantime?

Robertwgross

mickey wrote:
>I bought a 300D two weeks ago. I only had it for five days when my daughter
>dropped it and did some serious damage. It still works and takes great
>images but I get an error message with every shot which means I have to turn
>it off and then on again..........just a nuisance for now. My flash doesnt
>work properly either. I think it is misaligned somehow because it fires okay
>but it won't light up whatever the subject is! I intend getting it repaired
>but I can't right now until my original camera comes back from Pentax where
>it too is being repaired. But my main query here is, I have read the manual
>and want to try and change the ISO but when I press the little arrow,
>nothing happens. The default ISO of 100 isn't on display. So, I wonder if I
>am doing something wrong or if this is part of the damage done through the
>fall. Can anyone offer any advice to keep me going in the meantime?

Have you considered taking up golf? The equipment is harder to break.

---Bob Gross---

jean

"Robertwgross" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mickey wrote:
> >I bought a 300D two weeks ago. I only had it for five days when my

daughter
> >dropped it and did some serious damage. It still works and takes great
> >images but I get an error message with every shot which means I have to

turn
> >it off and then on again..........just a nuisance for now. My flash

doesnt
> >work properly either. I think it is misaligned somehow because it fires

okay
> >but it won't light up whatever the subject is! I intend getting it

repaired
> >but I can't right now until my original camera comes back from Pentax

where
> >it too is being repaired. But my main query here is, I have read the

manual
> >and want to try and change the ISO but when I press the little arrow,
> >nothing happens. The default ISO of 100 isn't on display. So, I wonder if

> >am doing something wrong or if this is part of the damage done through

the
> >fall. Can anyone offer any advice to keep me going in the meantime?

> Have you considered taking up golf? The equipment is harder to break.
>
> ---Bob Gross---

Damage to golf equipment is intentional, not accidental.

mickey

"Robertwgross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mickey wrote:
> >I bought a 300D two weeks ago. I only had it for five days when my

daughter
> >dropped it and did some serious damage. It still works and takes great
> >images but I get an error message with every shot which means I have to

turn
> >it off and then on again..........just a nuisance for now. My flash

doesnt
> >work properly either. I think it is misaligned somehow because it fires

okay
> >but it won't light up whatever the subject is! I intend getting it

repaired
> >but I can't right now until my original camera comes back from Pentax

where
> >it too is being repaired. But my main query here is, I have read the

manual
> >and want to try and change the ISO but when I press the little arrow,
> >nothing happens. The default ISO of 100 isn't on display. So, I wonder if

> >am doing something wrong or if this is part of the damage done through

the
> >fall. Can anyone offer any advice to keep me going in the meantime?

> Have you considered taking up golf? The equipment is harder to break.
>
> ---Bob Gross---

Thanks for that helpful advice Bob. You are a sweetie!
Mickey

David Littlewood

In article <cfa6gi$rng$(E-Mail Removed)>, mickey
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I bought a 300D two weeks ago. I only had it for five days when my daughter
>dropped it and did some serious damage. It still works and takes great
>images but I get an error message with every shot which means I have to turn
>it off and then on again..........just a nuisance for now. My flash doesnt
>work properly either. I think it is misaligned somehow because it fires okay
>but it won't light up whatever the subject is! I intend getting it repaired
>but I can't right now until my original camera comes back from Pentax where
>it too is being repaired. But my main query here is, I have read the manual
>and want to try and change the ISO but when I press the little arrow,
>nothing happens. The default ISO of 100 isn't on display. So, I wonder if I
>am doing something wrong or if this is part of the damage done through the
>fall. Can anyone offer any advice to keep me going in the meantime?

Don't have a 300D but on my 10D the ISO is only displayed when I press
the ISO change button.

You should be able to see from the changes in shutter speed and aperture
whether your attempts to change ISO speed are having any effect; for
example, if the scene meters 1/125 at f/16 in bright sunlight at ISO
100, then at 200 it should show 1/250 at f/16 or equivalent.

Doubtless your daughter is on "no pocket money for 10,000 years"
already, so incentivisation may be a problem. You could always threaten
to take up 5x4 work and to use her as a porter.
--
David Littlewood

Ozzig

aren't you covered by home contents insurance ?

--
To reply remove MYPANTS
"mickey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfa6gi$rng$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I bought a 300D two weeks ago. I only had it for five days when my

daughter
> dropped it and did some serious damage. It still works and takes great
> images but I get an error message with every shot which means I have to

turn
> it off and then on again..........just a nuisance for now. My flash doesnt
> work properly either. I think it is misaligned somehow because it fires

okay
> but it won't light up whatever the subject is! I intend getting it

repaired
> but I can't right now until my original camera comes back from Pentax

where
> it too is being repaired. But my main query here is, I have read the

manual
> and want to try and change the ISO but when I press the little arrow,
> nothing happens. The default ISO of 100 isn't on display. So, I wonder if

> am doing something wrong or if this is part of the damage done through the
> fall. Can anyone offer any advice to keep me going in the meantime?

this old user

"mickey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfa6gi$rng$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I bought a 300D two weeks ago. I only had it for five days when my

daughter
> dropped it and did some serious damage. It still works and takes great
> images but I get an error message with every shot which means I have to

turn
> it off and then on again..........just a nuisance for now. My flash doesnt
> work properly either. I think it is misaligned somehow because it fires

okay
> but it won't light up whatever the subject is! I intend getting it

repaired
> but I can't right now until my original camera comes back from Pentax

where
> it too is being repaired. But my main query here is, I have read the

manual
> and want to try and change the ISO but when I press the little arrow,
> nothing happens. The default ISO of 100 isn't on display. So, I wonder if

> am doing something wrong or if this is part of the damage done through the
> fall. Can anyone offer any advice to keep me going in the meantime?

You need to be in P, Tv, Av or M mode to change ISO.

mickey

"this old user" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsxbSc.6776$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "mickey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cfa6gi$rng$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I bought a 300D two weeks ago. I only had it for five days when my

> daughter
> > dropped it and did some serious damage. It still works and takes great
> > images but I get an error message with every shot which means I have to

> turn
> > it off and then on again..........just a nuisance for now. My flash

doesnt
> > work properly either. I think it is misaligned somehow because it fires

> okay
> > but it won't light up whatever the subject is! I intend getting it

> repaired
> > but I can't right now until my original camera comes back from Pentax

> where
> > it too is being repaired. But my main query here is, I have read the

> manual
> > and want to try and change the ISO but when I press the little arrow,
> > nothing happens. The default ISO of 100 isn't on display. So, I wonder

if
> > am doing something wrong or if this is part of the damage done through

the
> > fall. Can anyone offer any advice to keep me going in the meantime?
> >

> You need to be in P, Tv, Av or M mode to change ISO.

At last! Someone who knows what they are talking about. Thank you my man,
I've just tried it and it does the business okay. Thanks again