Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I have come across a problem, Iphoto - large amounts of photos - tiffs vs. jpegs - photoshop

I have come across a problem, Iphoto - large amounts of photos - tiffs vs. jpegs - photoshop

Bedroomdj2005

Alright, well im coming across a problem and i want to hear what you
guys(and girls) think i should do. I use iPhoto to upload my images
from all three of my camera, Canon powershot A70, Nikon DH2 and D70.
Just by telling you that you know that i shoot in Jpeg because of the
amount i can fit on a card and the FPS. So usually after i import the
photos i export the ones i want to work on to TIFF and work with
Photoshop CS. Ok... well this wasn't a problem till i reached ~5500
pictures. After that iPhoto seemed to die. So I got a few questions...

1) How do you think i should get the photos off the camera?

2) Should i convert them right away to TIFF files(and buy an external
HD)?

3) Should i bypass iPhoto all together and just organize my files with
Photoshop CS?

4) RAW..... Is it really worth it to shoot in RAW and convert to
TIFF... I know that i have lost a few jobs because the files weren't
RAW

My fields of photography include... snowboard photographer, mountain
bike, mostly action sports, where im out in the field for a whole
day/weekend and use up all my memory cards.

Got a brand new 12inch PowerBook, 80gigs, ~700memory

Thanks guys, just in a really tight situation and need to find a way
out thanks

Ken Prager

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bedroomdj2005) wrote:

> Alright, well im coming across a problem and i want to hear what you
> guys(and girls) think i should do. I use iPhoto to upload my images
> from all three of my camera, Canon powershot A70, Nikon DH2 and D70.
> Just by telling you that you know that i shoot in Jpeg because of the
> amount i can fit on a card and the FPS. So usually after i import the
> photos i export the ones i want to work on to TIFF and work with
> Photoshop CS. Ok... well this wasn't a problem till i reached ~5500
> pictures. After that iPhoto seemed to die. So I got a few questions...
>
> 1) How do you think i should get the photos off the camera?
>
> 2) Should i convert them right away to TIFF files(and buy an external
> HD)?
>
> 3) Should i bypass iPhoto all together and just organize my files with
> Photoshop CS?
>
> 4) RAW..... Is it really worth it to shoot in RAW and convert to
> TIFF... I know that i have lost a few jobs because the files weren't
> RAW
>

> My fields of photography include... snowboard photographer, mountain
> bike, mostly action sports, where im out in the field for a whole
> day/weekend and use up all my memory cards.
>
> Got a brand new 12inch PowerBook, 80gigs, ~700memory
>
> Thanks guys, just in a really tight situation and need to find a way
> out thanks

I am a Mac user with a D100. Here is my 2 cents...

1) I use iView Multimedia Pro to organize my photos.

2) I only use iPhoto when I want to take advantage of Apple's web
publishing, print publishing, or book publishing services. I only
import into iPhoto those photos that I plan to publish.

3) I typically use jpeg for action shots because I don't want to process
every image. This is especially true with sports photos and when in
"snapshot mode." However, I don't do this for a living. I would shoot
in RAW mode if I did this for a living.

4) If I am printing a batch of photos and just do rudimentary processing
(scaling, contrast enhancement) then I will save the result as TIFF but
throw them away after I'm done printing. If I perform more advanced
processing then I'll keep the result in either TIFF or PS format.

HTH,

KP

--
Remove _me_ for e-mail address

Don

1) I prefer a card reader, and just drag and drop to my hard drive.

2) See answer to (4)

3) I like BreezeBrowser and an organized directory structure, but that's on
a PC. I don't know about Apple software.

4) With that small of a drive, you probably won't want to store long-term in
RAW due to file size. That doesn't mean you can't shoot in RAW. I shoot
everything in RAW (Canon G2), and convert to 16-bit TIFF. I then do all of
the processing that PS will allow in 16-bit format, then convert to 8-bit
for the rest of the processing. This allows preservation of the full color
depth untill the color correction, brightness, contrast, sharpening, etc.
are done. The further steps, such as perspective, etc., don't need the
16-bit depth. You can then probably store the finished product as JPEG with
modest compression. You can obviously retain the RAW for those clients that
require them. Perhaps archive separately by the job to DVDs?

I do archive the RAW files, but I have a total of 340 GB on my desktop
machine. My archives total about 45GB at the moment, with backup to a
separate drive. It appears that drive capacities are increasing faster than
my archive sizes, so I don't forsee a future problem.

Don

"Bedroomdj2005" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Alright, well im coming across a problem and i want to hear what you
> guys(and girls) think i should do. I use iPhoto to upload my images
> from all three of my camera, Canon powershot A70, Nikon DH2 and D70.
> Just by telling you that you know that i shoot in Jpeg because of the
> amount i can fit on a card and the FPS. So usually after i import the
> photos i export the ones i want to work on to TIFF and work with
> Photoshop CS. Ok... well this wasn't a problem till i reached ~5500
> pictures. After that iPhoto seemed to die. So I got a few questions...
>
> 1) How do you think i should get the photos off the camera?
>
> 2) Should i convert them right away to TIFF files(and buy an external
> HD)?
>
> 3) Should i bypass iPhoto all together and just organize my files with
> Photoshop CS?
>
> 4) RAW..... Is it really worth it to shoot in RAW and convert to
> TIFF... I know that i have lost a few jobs because the files weren't
> RAW
>

> My fields of photography include... snowboard photographer, mountain
> bike, mostly action sports, where im out in the field for a whole
> day/weekend and use up all my memory cards.
>
> Got a brand new 12inch PowerBook, 80gigs, ~700memory
>
> Thanks guys, just in a really tight situation and need to find a way
> out thanks

William Jackson

you could try Kodak's Easyshare for MacOS X. Version is pretty nice,
supports large catalog sizes and has links to Ofoto services for printing
and sharing.

V4 will be available tomorow if when we get the web version back up.

It's free, so trying it won't cost you anything. It'll import your iphoto
library so anything that you have already done will be preserved.

"Bedroomdj2005" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Alright, well im coming across a problem and i want to hear what you
> guys(and girls) think i should do. I use iPhoto to upload my images
> from all three of my camera, Canon powershot A70, Nikon DH2 and D70.
> Just by telling you that you know that i shoot in Jpeg because of the
> amount i can fit on a card and the FPS. So usually after i import the
> photos i export the ones i want to work on to TIFF and work with
> Photoshop CS. Ok... well this wasn't a problem till i reached ~5500
> pictures. After that iPhoto seemed to die. So I got a few questions...

leo

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1) I prefer a card reader, and just drag and drop to my hard drive.
>
> 2) See answer to (4)
>
> 3) I like BreezeBrowser and an organized directory structure, but that's

on
> a PC. I don't know about Apple software.
>
> 4) With that small of a drive, you probably won't want to store long-term

in
> RAW due to file size. That doesn't mean you can't shoot in RAW. I shoot
> everything in RAW (Canon G2), and convert to 16-bit TIFF. I then do all

of
> the processing that PS will allow in 16-bit format, then convert to 8-bit
> for the rest of the processing. This allows preservation of the full

color
> depth untill the color correction, brightness, contrast, sharpening, etc.
> are done. The further steps, such as perspective, etc., don't need the
> 16-bit depth. You can then probably store the finished product as JPEG

with
> modest compression. You can obviously retain the RAW for those clients

that
> require them. Perhaps archive separately by the job to DVDs?
>
> I do archive the RAW files, but I have a total of 340 GB on my desktop
> machine. My archives total about 45GB at the moment, with backup to a
> separate drive. It appears that drive capacities are increasing faster

than
> my archive sizes, so I don't forsee a future problem.
>
> Don
>

> "Bedroomdj2005" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Alright, well im coming across a problem and i want to hear what you
> > guys(and girls) think i should do. I use iPhoto to upload my images
> > from all three of my camera, Canon powershot A70, Nikon DH2 and D70.
> > Just by telling you that you know that i shoot in Jpeg because of the
> > amount i can fit on a card and the FPS. So usually after i import the
> > photos i export the ones i want to work on to TIFF and work with
> > Photoshop CS. Ok... well this wasn't a problem till i reached ~5500
> > pictures. After that iPhoto seemed to die. So I got a few questions...
> >
> > 1) How do you think i should get the photos off the camera?
> >
> > 2) Should i convert them right away to TIFF files(and buy an external
> > HD)?
> >
> > 3) Should i bypass iPhoto all together and just organize my files with
> > Photoshop CS?
> >
> > 4) RAW..... Is it really worth it to shoot in RAW and convert to
> > TIFF... I know that i have lost a few jobs because the files weren't
> > RAW
> >

> > My fields of photography include... snowboard photographer, mountain
> > bike, mostly action sports, where im out in the field for a whole
> > day/weekend and use up all my memory cards.
> >
> > Got a brand new 12inch PowerBook, 80gigs, ~700memory
> >
> > Thanks guys, just in a really tight situation and need to find a way
> > out thanks

I shoot RAW and use Capture One and Photoshop CS on Windows. I'd trash
iPhoto right away. It doesn't take gamma and ICC into consideration. I heard
Extensis Portfolio 7 can handle RAW. I am in the process of evaluating it.

I don't understand how you could lost business because you're not using RAW.

Alfred Molon

leo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't understand how you could lost business because you're not using RAW.

I'd also like to understand that. Are there any photo buyers who insist
on getting a RAW file ?
--

Alfred Molon

GSW

I don't understand why you would convert from JPEG to TIFF. I mean
once the file has been created as a JPEG you loose alot of colors
and things get compressed, to switch to TIFF after all that loss
would seem like trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

It would seem you would want to start with RAW if your think
you need TIFF to edit with to get the kind of results you want.

If your loosing customers because you don't want to shoot in
RAW, then that too would seem like a excelent reason for you
to start shooting in RAW mode.

My plan is to save everything I'm truely serious about in RAW,
arcive it to CD and/or DVD. Preview in JPEG, and convert to TIFF
if I really think the photo is good enough to spend the time to
tweak it with PhotoShop... If I decide to go through all that,
then I will also save the edited TIFF file, convert to JPEG if
for some reason I need it in that format...

I'll also be looking into JPEG 2000.