Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > canon powershot a300: any good ?

canon powershot a300: any good ?

Fr@nk

My daughter want to buy this cam (special offer this week) , I saw some
positive reactions on internet, what is your opinion ?

The use is mainly snapshot, and sometimes an " blowup" to A4 (21*29.7)

I know it has no opt. zoom

Cheers

Robert Barr

Unbeatable price at Amazon right now + free CF card.

I'll have one in a day or two. I'll have an first-person comment at
that time; meanwhile, there's always Steve's:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a300.html

RB

Fr@nk wrote:

> My daughter want to buy this cam (special offer this week) , I saw some
> positive reactions on internet, what is your opinion ?
>
> The use is mainly snapshot, and sometimes an " blowup" to A4 (21*29.7)
>
> I know it has no opt. zoom
>
> Cheers

Fred B.

I just got one. I LOVE IT. I had the Olympus d395 first, and compared it
to the Canon. Returned the olympus.
It is a really nice camera. You need to use Nimh batteries though. It,
like all digitals, sucks alkalines dry fast.
"Fr@nk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> My daughter want to buy this cam (special offer this week) , I saw some
> positive reactions on internet, what is your opinion ?
>
> The use is mainly snapshot, and sometimes an " blowup" to A4 (21*29.7)
>
> I know it has no opt. zoom
>
> Cheers

Dave Martindale

"Fr@nk" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>My daughter want to buy this cam (special offer this week) , I saw some
>positive reactions on internet, what is your opinion ?

I used an A200 for a while. It worked well, despite being dropped
(inside a padded case, not completely unprotected) several times.
I assume the A300 is similar.

Pluses: Quick startup (no zoom to unpack itself). Uses standard
batteries (preferably NiMH). Large bright optical viewfinder; much
better than zoom viewfinders on many P&S Canons.

Minuses: no zoom. No manual exposure modes. (But you knew this).

I found that the 2 MP A200 was fine for 5x7 inch size prints, but
not much more than that.

Dave

YoYo

Yes its great point and shoot and the
resolution is good for 8x10 prints.

"Fr@nk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
> My daughter want to buy this cam

(special offer this week) , I saw some
> positive reactions on internet, what

is your opinion ?

> The use is mainly snapshot, and

sometimes an " blowup" to A4 (21*29.7)

> I know it has no opt. zoom
>
> Cheers

Leonard

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 01:15:37 +0000, Dave Martindale wrote:

> Minuses: no zoom. No manual exposure modes. (But you knew this).

To be fair, the lens in the A300 only has f3.6 and f5.6 apertures
available, so you aren't losing much control by not being able to
pick which one. And it does have exposure compensation.

It suffers somewhat from barrel distortion which is a little
disappointing. I don't take many pictures for which this is
a problem but YMMV.

> I found that the 2 MP A200 was fine for 5x7 inch size prints, but
> not much more than that.

Sounds about right. I find that 10x7 is OK but pushing it a little
for the A300.

I'd say that if the lack of a zoom isn't going to be too restrictive
for the sort of pictures you want to take, the A300 will give
excellent bang for the buck. Having said that the A80 also looks
pretty good if you can find somewhere still selling it. It's got
a bigger sensor, a faster lens (at wide-angle), a foldy-out
lcd, and the C1 and C2 custom setups. Oh and the zoom lens of course.

- Len

Dave Martindale

Leonard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>To be fair, the lens in the A300 only has f3.6 and f5.6 apertures
>available, so you aren't losing much control by not being able to
>pick which one. And it does have exposure compensation.

Hmm. That's a bit disappointing; the A200 was f/2.8. And won't it
close down to f/8?

>I'd say that if the lack of a zoom isn't going to be too restrictive
>for the sort of pictures you want to take, the A300 will give
>excellent bang for the buck. Having said that the A80 also looks
>pretty good if you can find somewhere still selling it. It's got
>a bigger sensor, a faster lens (at wide-angle), a foldy-out
>lcd, and the C1 and C2 custom setups. Oh and the zoom lens of course.

It's a much better camera - but at something like twice the price
(at least comparing initial prices when first available).

Dave

Leonard

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:46:34 +0000, Dave Martindale wrote:

>>To be fair, the lens in the A300 only has f3.6 and f5.6 apertures
>>available, so you aren't losing much control by not being able to
>>pick which one. And it does have exposure compensation.

> Hmm. That's a bit disappointing; the A200 was f/2.8. And won't it
> close down to f/8?

Agreed it's a bit weak to lose the f2.8; no it won't go to f8. Actually
I've just looked at some exif info and I wonder why the camera has
decided in some cases to stay wide-open when it's using a shutter
speed of 1/500. Perhaps I do miss not having Av mode.

- Len

Robert Barr

You've probably made your decision by now, but...

I'm not thrilled with the image quality.

I understand it's not a premium unit, but the sharpness isn't quite on a
par with my aged 2.1 MP Fuji 2300, even. Comparing its output to the
samples on Image Resource, for example, makes me wonder if there isn't a
problem with this particular unit. Indoor shots don't come close to the
sample images. Anything beyond about 12 feet looks horrible.

http://www.cycleorings.com/back.JPG for example. Look at the roofline.
It should be jagged and crisp. Look at the foliage. No definition.
Ecch.

This is unfortunate, because otherwise I really like this little camera.
Most of the details are darned near perfect for me. I got rid of a G3
a month ago because it was too cumbersome & fickle as far as focus (and
exposure, sometimes).

Macro stuff, on the other hand, looks great.

Should I exchange it for another?

Fr@nk

Indeed, I've bought the cam and tested it for her, and was disappointed.
Images not clear, lens F3.x to dark,
face turned into red (too red) etc.

Problem is however I compare it with images from my G2, and thats not fair,
but still I brought the cam back to the shop and got my refund.

Thanks frank

"Robert Barr" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:7dbTc.577$(E-Mail Removed) m...