Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printer under $200

Printer under $200

Lowryter

suggestions.

all around use. Photos & Documents.

Would be nice if wasn't a POS like this HP 810, and the cartridges didnt cost a
fortunre (liek the HP). Durability and economy a plus.

thanks

forrmark@yahoo.com

On 08 Aug 2004 21:05:47 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ojunk (Lowryter) wrote:

>suggestions.
>
>all around use. Photos & Documents.
>
>Would be nice if wasn't a POS like this HP 810, and the cartridges didnt cost a
>fortunre (liek the HP). Durability and economy a plus.

Take a look at the Canon i860. It's fast, does an excellent job with
both text and photos, uses 5 separate ink tanks, and cost a lot less
than $200.
Jack

Sabineellen

>suggestions.
>
>all around use. Photos & Documents.
>
>Would be nice if wasn't a POS like this HP 810, and the cartridges didnt cost
>fortunre (liek the HP). Durability and economy a plus.
>
>thanks

I bought this Canon Smartbase MP360 for the simple reason that it was
inexpensive and its cartridges were easy to find third-party on ebay. It's an
all-in-one so I use it to digitize my papers and notes/drawings. I haven't
printed anything in color, but i rarely ever do.

I'd highly recommend that you make sure you can get third-party ink cartridges
for whatever printer you're considering.

Banjopikr1

>Printer under $200
>From: (E-Mail Removed)ojun

Just bought the Canon i960 at CompUSA for $169.00 Super great photo printer.
Has 6 cartridges that sell for $10.50 each at Staples. You buy what you need.
Also includes an auto feeder 4X6" tray.

Justin Thyme

"Lowryter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> suggestions.
>
> all around use. Photos & Documents.
>
> Would be nice if wasn't a POS like this HP 810, and the cartridges didnt

cost a
> fortunre (liek the HP). Durability and economy a plus.

Not sure about the prices in the USA, but I'd suggest an Epson R310 (maybe
different model numbers over there). Very economical to run, and has long
life prints. As an alternative maybe the HP 7660 or HP 7960 - not as cheap
to run as the epson, but they are a lot cheaper than your old 810, and also
give really nice B&W prints with the optional B&W printhead.
If you want good print life, I'd forget about Canon - their inks are nowhere
near as long-lasting as Epson and HP - I've got prints from a Canon BJC6000
(same ink as the current model i865) that are faded after a bit over a year.
Prints from an Epson C43 done about the same time are still nice (and the
C43 isn't even one of the models that Epson say has good colour durability).
Also, I'd forget about non-genuine inks. I've always found that non-genuine
inks give colour casts over photos that can be hard to adjust out. Also I've
seen colour-fast tests on the web that show most non-genuine inks hold
colour for a matter of months, compared to many decades that HP and Epson
genuine inks are rated for. I'd maybe consider a non-genuine ink for black,
but wouldn't put anything but genuine in for colour.