Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > flatbed scanners with neg film scanning ability ?

flatbed scanners with neg film scanning ability ?

Beowulf

I need to have 30-50 or so film negatives scanned at hires so I can clean
them up and use them digitally. Local filmshop will do it for $7 per
negative. Doing the math, it seems to make more sense to me to just buy a
scanner and do it myself. I see brands at Best Buy and such that can do
it with an attached negative or slide scanner -- can they really do a good
job, and will my negs be safe being scanned by those (looks like you slide
a film strip into a wand type handheld scanning attachment) so that they
do not get scratched up?

--
"It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

ColynGİ

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 15:02:52 -0500, Beowulf <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I need to have 30-50 or so film negatives scanned at hires so I can clean
>them up and use them digitally. Local filmshop will do it for $7 per
>negative. Doing the math, it seems to make more sense to me to just buy a
>scanner and do it myself. I see brands at Best Buy and such that can do
>it with an attached negative or slide scanner -- can they really do a good
>job, and will my negs be safe being scanned by those (looks like you slide
>a film strip into a wand type handheld scanning attachment) so that they
>do not get scratched up?

I have an Epson Perfection 1660 photo with neg and transparency
holder. It does a pretty good job of scanning both.

Colyn Goodson

email hidden

http://www.colyngoodson.com

Gary Eickmeier

Beowulf wrote:

> I need to have 30-50 or so film negatives scanned at hires so I can clean
> them up and use them digitally. Local filmshop will do it for $7 per
> negative. Doing the math, it seems to make more sense to me to just buy a
> scanner and do it myself. I see brands at Best Buy and such that can do
> it with an attached negative or slide scanner -- can they really do a good
> job, and will my negs be safe being scanned by those (looks like you slide
> a film strip into a wand type handheld scanning attachment) so that they
> do not get scratched up?

Get either a dedicated film scanner or the latest and greatest Epson
flatbed with film holder. Mine is a 3200 Photo, and it is terrific.

Gary Eickmeier

Gary Eickmeier

Beowulf wrote:

> I need to have 30-50 or so film negatives scanned at hires so I can clean
> them up and use them digitally. Local filmshop will do it for $7 per
> negative. Doing the math, it seems to make more sense to me to just buy a
> scanner and do it myself. I see brands at Best Buy and such that can do
> it with an attached negative or slide scanner -- can they really do a

good
> job, and will my negs be safe being scanned by those (looks like you

slide
> a film strip into a wand type handheld scanning attachment) so that they
> do not get scratched up?

Get either a dedicated film scanner or the latest and greatest Epson
flatbed with film holder. Mine is a 3200 Photo, and it is terrific.

Gary Eickmeier

Bob Williams

I am considering the Epson 3200 Photo Scanner.
I'd like to know how long it takes to scan a slide at maximum
resolution. Could you please give me an estimate of this time.
How many 35MM slides (2x2)will the 3200 accommodate at one time?
If it can scan, say 6 slides at once, will the scan time be about 6x as
long as for a single scan?....Shorter?...Longer?
Thanks .....Bob Williams

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
> Beowulf wrote:
>
> > I need to have 30-50 or so film negatives scanned at hires so I can

> clean
> > them up and use them digitally. Local filmshop will do it for $7 per
> > negative. Doing the math, it seems to make more sense to me to just

> buy a
> > scanner and do it myself. I see brands at Best Buy and such that can do
> > it with an attached negative or slide scanner -- can they really do a

> good
> > job, and will my negs be safe being scanned by those (looks like you

> slide
> > a film strip into a wand type handheld scanning attachment) so that they
> > do not get scratched up?

> Get either a dedicated film scanner or the latest and greatest Epson
> flatbed with film holder. Mine is a 3200 Photo, and it is terrific.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Chris Street

I'm heard about the new Plustek OpticFilm 7200 dedicated film scanner.
It scans at 7200dpi (true optical resolution). Has anyone used it and
with results for 35mm negs? http://tinyurl.com/4a3h2

Chris Street

Bob Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I am considering the Epson 3200 Photo Scanner.
> I'd like to know how long it takes to scan a slide at maximum
> resolution. Could you please give me an estimate of this time.
> How many 35MM slides (2x2)will the 3200 accommodate at one time?
> If it can scan, say 6 slides at once, will the scan time be about 6x as
> long as for a single scan?....Shorter?...Longer?
> Thanks .....Bob Williams
>
> Gary Eickmeier wrote:
> > Beowulf wrote:
> >
> > > I need to have 30-50 or so film negatives scanned at hires so I can

> clean
> > > them up and use them digitally. Local filmshop will do it for $7 per
> > > negative. Doing the math, it seems to make more sense to me to just

> buy a
> > > scanner and do it myself. I see brands at Best Buy and such that can do
> > > it with an attached negative or slide scanner -- can they really do a

> good
> > > job, and will my negs be safe being scanned by those (looks like you

> slide
> > > a film strip into a wand type handheld scanning attachment) so that they
> > > do not get scratched up?

> > Get either a dedicated film scanner or the latest and greatest Epson
> > flatbed with film holder. Mine is a 3200 Photo, and it is terrific.
> >
> > Gary Eickmeier

Bart van der Wolf

"Chris Street" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm heard about the new Plustek OpticFilm 7200 dedicated film

scanner.
> It scans at 7200dpi (true optical resolution). Has anyone used it

and
> with results for 35mm negs? http://tinyurl.com/4a3h2

According to http://www.filmscanner.info/PlustekOpticFilm7200.html the
tested resolution doesn't exceed 2900 ppi. It looks like Plustek are
lying about the true specs.

Bart