Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 -- What are the actual color points for the sensor?

Nikon D70 -- What are the actual color points for the sensor?

Chuck McDevitt

Maybe somebody out there can answer this. I'm trying to find out what the
actual R, G, and B values are for the sensor in the Nikon D70. i.e. What's
it's native gamut?

A closely related question is: Does setting the camera's color mode to
"II - Adobe 1998" actually record any increased information, or is it simply
converting from a native sRGB to Adobe colorspace as a convenience for those
who want to manipulate the image in photoshop?

If the camera's native gamut is sRGB (or something smaller) there is no
benefit in changing the colorspace in the camera, since you can change it
after the fact. But if the native gamut is larger than sRGB, using sRGB
would cause some color information to be lost.

Given that the camera defaults to sRGB, I would guess that the sensor is
aligned to that, but does anyone really know the truth?

Udie Lafing

Good questions thanks for asking, I have benefited from your thought
process, by doing a simple test I now know the answers.

In article <ezsRc.93878$8_6.15329@attbi_s04>,
"Chuck McDevitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Maybe somebody out there can answer this. I'm trying to find out what the
> actual R, G, and B values are for the sensor in the Nikon D70. i.e. What's
> it's native gamut?
>
> A closely related question is: Does setting the camera's color mode to
> "II - Adobe 1998" actually record any increased information, or is it simply
> converting from a native sRGB to Adobe colorspace as a convenience for those
> who want to manipulate the image in photoshop?
>
> If the camera's native gamut is sRGB (or something smaller) there is no
> benefit in changing the colorspace in the camera, since you can change it
> after the fact. But if the native gamut is larger than sRGB, using sRGB
> would cause some color information to be lost.
>
> Given that the camera defaults to sRGB, I would guess that the sensor is
> aligned to that, but does anyone really know the truth?

Jeremy Nixon

Chuck McDevitt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Given that the camera defaults to sRGB, I would guess that the sensor is
> aligned to that, but does anyone really know the truth?

The native color space is specific to the camera; it is converted to sRGB
or Adobe 1998 from that. The native color space is much wider than sRGB.

--
Jeremy | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

paul

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:19:48 +0000, Udie Lafing wrote:
Udie,

Maybe not every one has the same experiment loving / exploring mind as
you do. Would you like to share your thoughts on your experiments and
maybe even you results?

I would also be intertested to see if you did the same experiments as I
did...

> Good questions thanks for asking, I have benefited from your thought
> process, by doing a simple test I now know the answers.
>

> In article <ezsRc.93878$8_6.15329@attbi_s04>,
> "Chuck McDevitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Maybe somebody out there can answer this. I'm trying to find out what
>> the actual R, G, and B values are for the sensor in the Nikon D70.
>> i.e. What's it's native gamut?

Chuck McDevitt

Anybody?

Bart van der Wolf

"Chuck McDevitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Anybody?

Have you asked Nikon?
Ask for the typical CIE primaries and whitepoint of the sensor used in
the D70, and see if they will tell you. Do share if they do tell
you...

Bart

Mitch Alsup

"Chuck McDevitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ezsRc.93878$8_6.15329@attbi_s04>...
> Maybe somebody out there can answer this. I'm trying to find out what the
> actual R, G, and B values are for the sensor in the Nikon D70. i.e. What's
> it's native gamut?

Perhaps this will be useful;

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/us/digit/spectra.htm
http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/d70v10d/eval.htm