Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why are low dpi printers more expensive?

Why are low dpi printers more expensive?

me@privacy.net

I'm looking to buy a new photo printer for my Canon 10d digital
camera.

I want an Epson printer because the carts are cheap and the printers
last a long time.

Just one thing, I've seen DPI on the new and old printers and I can't
understand why the low dpi printers cost more momey.

For example, Epson Stylus Photo 2100 is 2880 DPI on A3 paper and costs
around 422. The Epson Stylus Photo R800 is 5760 DPI on A4 paper and
costs 240. There are other printers aswell which are like this, low
DPI more money, high DPI less money.

From what I understand, "The resolution is stated in pixels (points)
per inch. The higher resolution the finer printouts."

Why is the higher DPI printer/s cheaper than the semi professional
Photo printers? I really can't understand.

I know photo paper can only handle so many DPI before it starts to
overlap but why are the low DPI A3 printers so much more money?

I don't think A3 printers can print more DPI on A4 paper.

Mark B.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to buy a new photo printer for my Canon 10d digital
> camera.
>
> I want an Epson printer because the carts are cheap and the printers
> last a long time.
>
> Just one thing, I've seen DPI on the new and old printers and I can't
> understand why the low dpi printers cost more momey.
>
> For example, Epson Stylus Photo 2100 is 2880 DPI on A3 paper and costs
> around 422. The Epson Stylus Photo R800 is 5760 DPI on A4 paper and
> costs 240. There are other printers aswell which are like this, low
> DPI more money, high DPI less money.
>
> From what I understand, "The resolution is stated in pixels (points)
> per inch. The higher resolution the finer printouts."
>
> Why is the higher DPI printer/s cheaper than the semi professional
> Photo printers? I really can't understand.
>
> I know photo paper can only handle so many DPI before it starts to
> overlap but why are the low DPI A3 printers so much more money?
>
> I don't think A3 printers can print more DPI on A4 paper.

Epson 2100 is a wide-format printer, R800 prints up to A4/8.5" x 11". Look
at the size of the printer first.

Mark

me@privacy.net

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:29:11 -0400, "Mark B."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Epson 2100 is a wide-format printer, R800 prints up to A4/8.5" x 11". Look
>at the size of the printer first.

At the moment, I envisage to print on A4. Until I start printing and
using the printer, I don't know if I'll be using A3 or not. Is it good
having an A3 printer if the DPI on A4 prints is less??

I've just looked at the RX 600 which looks good aswell as an All in
one.

Is it worth spending the money on A3 which has lower DPI if I've got
spare cash ?

Full Specs of 2100 Maximum 2880 x 1440 dpi in black and in colour:
http://www.epson.co.uk/products/inkj...Photo_2100.htm
Full Specs of RX600 Maximum Resolution 2400 x 4800dpi / 3pl droplets:
http://www.epson.co.uk/products/all_...o_%20RX600.htm
Full Specs of R800 Up to 5760* x 1440dpi optimised , 1.5pl droplets:
http://www.epson.co.uk/products/inkj...Photo_R800.htm

Elmo P. Shagnasty

wrote:

> Just one thing, I've seen DPI on the new and old printers and I can't
> understand why the low dpi printers cost more momey.
>
> For example, Epson Stylus Photo 2100 is 2880 DPI on A3 paper and costs
> around 422. The Epson Stylus Photo R800 is 5760 DPI on A4 paper and
> costs 240. There are other printers aswell which are like this, low
> DPI more money, high DPI less money.

Because it's not a black and white printer. In the black and white
world, more DPI equals more quality.

But in the color world, DPI is down the list. Other factors come into
play for quality.

I can show you some 600dpi stuff that you would swear was 2400dpi
minimum. It's all in the engineering of the system.

Mark B.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:29:11 -0400, "Mark B."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Epson 2100 is a wide-format printer, R800 prints up to A4/8.5" x 11".

Look
> >at the size of the printer first.

> At the moment, I envisage to print on A4. Until I start printing and
> using the printer, I don't know if I'll be using A3 or not. Is it good
> having an A3 printer if the DPI on A4 prints is less??
>
> I've just looked at the RX 600 which looks good aswell as an All in
> one.
>
> Is it worth spending the money on A3 which has lower DPI if I've got
> spare cash ?

I don't know why I referenced A4 in my reply; I just realized I don't know
what size that actually is. 2100 can do up to 13" wide, R800 up to 8.5"
wide. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the dpi difference. From what
I've seen with 1440 dpi on my 870, I can't imagine 2880 will be a noticeable
difference. Get the printer for the size prints you'll be doing. If you
need to do larger prints, then it's worth the money. Keep in mind the 2100
has been replaced by the 2200 which can do 2880 in one direction (1440 in
the other). Check epson.com for specs on all their printers.

Mark

David Dyer-Bennet

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> I'm looking to buy a new photo printer for my Canon 10d digital
> camera.
>
> I want an Epson printer because the carts are cheap and the printers
> last a long time.
>
> Just one thing, I've seen DPI on the new and old printers and I can't
> understand why the low dpi printers cost more momey.
>
> For example, Epson Stylus Photo 2100 is 2880 DPI on A3 paper and costs
> around 422. The Epson Stylus Photo R800 is 5760 DPI on A4 paper and
> costs 240. There are other printers aswell which are like this, low
> DPI more money, high DPI less money.

The important point here is that the 2100 is a wide-carriage printer,
capable of printing up to 12 inches wide. The R800 is a
narrow-carriage printer, limited to 8.5 inches wide.

Wide-carriage printers are both harder to build, and sell in smaller
quantities, so they're expensive.

dj_nme

Mark B. wrote:

<snip printer discussion>

> I don't know why I referenced A4 in my reply; I just realized I don't know
> what size that actually is.

A4 is 210mm by 297mm (8.27" by 11.69") in size. A3 is twice the width at
420mm by 279mm (16.54" by 11.69").

Douglas

There is a great deal of difference to a photographer in 1440 and 2880! Also
the 2100 IS the same printer as the 2200.The 2100 is the Euro version! The
2100(2200) and the R800 use "pigment inks"! The RX 600 does not! Pigment
inks have solids suspended in them,and give much loner lasting prints,on the
right papers!By the way Mark,the 2000 was the printer replaced bu the 2200!
I agree people should check Epsons website for specs instead of
"speculating" on the differences!
"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:29:11 -0400, "Mark B."
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Epson 2100 is a wide-format printer, R800 prints up to A4/8.5" x 11".

> Look
> > >at the size of the printer first.

> > At the moment, I envisage to print on A4. Until I start printing and
> > using the printer, I don't know if I'll be using A3 or not. Is it good
> > having an A3 printer if the DPI on A4 prints is less??
> >
> > I've just looked at the RX 600 which looks good aswell as an All in
> > one.
> >
> > Is it worth spending the money on A3 which has lower DPI if I've got
> > spare cash ?
> >

> I don't know why I referenced A4 in my reply; I just realized I don't know
> what size that actually is. 2100 can do up to 13" wide, R800 up to 8.5"
> wide. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the dpi difference. From what
> I've seen with 1440 dpi on my 870, I can't imagine 2880 will be a

noticeable
> difference. Get the printer for the size prints you'll be doing. If you
> need to do larger prints, then it's worth the money. Keep in mind the

2100
> has been replaced by the 2200 which can do 2880 in one direction (1440 in
> the other). Check epson.com for specs on all their printers.
>
> Mark

Toby

Past 1440 there is really no appreciable gain in the reviews that I have
read. You might see a very, very slight increase in smoothness in monochome
prints with 2880. Don't take maximum DPI too seriously, some very high dpi
printers (notably Lexmarks IME) turn out prints that look like trash...

Toby

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:29:11 -0400, "Mark B."
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Epson 2100 is a wide-format printer, R800 prints up to A4/8.5" x 11".

> Look
> > >at the size of the printer first.

> > At the moment, I envisage to print on A4. Until I start printing and
> > using the printer, I don't know if I'll be using A3 or not. Is it good
> > having an A3 printer if the DPI on A4 prints is less??
> >
> > I've just looked at the RX 600 which looks good aswell as an All in
> > one.
> >
> > Is it worth spending the money on A3 which has lower DPI if I've got
> > spare cash ?
> >

> I don't know why I referenced A4 in my reply; I just realized I don't know
> what size that actually is. 2100 can do up to 13" wide, R800 up to 8.5"
> wide. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the dpi difference. From what
> I've seen with 1440 dpi on my 870, I can't imagine 2880 will be a

noticeable
> difference. Get the printer for the size prints you'll be doing. If you
> need to do larger prints, then it's worth the money. Keep in mind the

2100
> has been replaced by the 2200 which can do 2880 in one direction (1440 in
> the other). Check epson.com for specs on all their printers.
>
> Mark

me@privacy.net

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 21:18:21 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) writes:
>> I'm looking to buy a new photo printer for my Canon 10d digital
>> camera.

>> For example, Epson Stylus Photo 2100 is 2880 DPI on A3 paper and costs
>> around 422. The Epson Stylus Photo R800 is 5760 DPI on A4 paper and
>> costs 240. There are other printers aswell which are like this, low
>> DPI more money, high DPI less money.

>The important point here is that the 2100 is a wide-carriage printer,
>capable of printing up to 12 inches wide. The R800 is a
>narrow-carriage printer, limited to 8.5 inches wide.

>Wide-carriage printers are both harder to build, and sell in smaller
>quantities, so they're expensive.

Is it worth investing in the 2100? or should I be looking at another
printer. From what I can tell, this is one of the best printers for
mid range money.

The reason I need a printer is because I'm a professional photographer
and I send out my pictures as jpgs to my clients.The publications
print the images themselves. I only want the printer for contact
sheets and samples of the jpgs. The images will be printed by the
client using the CD-ROM's I supply.

I could go for a R800 or R300 quite easily but if I'm going to buy a
printer I want to get it right first time. I like to keep my printers
for a long time.

I think I'd very rarely use A3 size. it's just one of those nice
things to have. I also like the idea of being equipped to deal with
bigger prints if the situation should ever arise in the future.

If I went for an Epson A4 printer would the quality be better? If yes,
which Epson printer is better than the 2100 for A4 prints.