Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Re: Dumb question

Re: Dumb question

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
;I currently have an access list to control traffic. I just installed
;Linux on a computer and would like to do this.

:I want this IP opened to computers on the net.
:I was thinking of something like:

ermit ip any a.b.c.d 0.0.0.15 log-input

:a.b.c.d being the IP of this Linux system.

:Would this work?

Only if 'd' just happened to be a multiple of 16.

If you want to open access to a specific host, you would use either

permit ip any host a.b.c.d log-input

or

permit ip any a.b.c.d 0.0.0.0 log-input

The latter is not encouraged, and it will show up as "host a.b.c.d"
on output.

What you proposed, a.b.c.d 0.0.0.15, would be used to permit access
to the IP address a.b.c.d and the next 15 IP addresses... provided,
that is, that d happened to be a multiple of 16. [It works on bit masks,
not on number of addresses.]

John

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:<bfhhmh$2nn$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ;I currently have an access list to control traffic. I just installed
> ;Linux on a computer and would like to do this.
>
> :I want this IP opened to computers on the net.
> :I was thinking of something like:
>
> ermit ip any a.b.c.d 0.0.0.15 log-input
>
> :a.b.c.d being the IP of this Linux system.
>
> :Would this work?
>
> Only if 'd' just happened to be a multiple of 16.
>
> If you want to open access to a specific host, you would use either
>
> permit ip any host a.b.c.d log-input
>
> or
>
> permit ip any a.b.c.d 0.0.0.0 log-input
>
> The latter is not encouraged, and it will show up as "host a.b.c.d"
> on output.
>
> What you proposed, a.b.c.d 0.0.0.15, would be used to permit access
> to the IP address a.b.c.d and the next 15 IP addresses... provided,
> that is, that d happened to be a multiple of 16. [It works on bit masks,
> not on number of addresses.]

Ofcourse! like I said, dumb question. Thank you all!

John.

Dumb, Dumb Vista Au79 Computer Support 4 02-11-2007 03:40 PM
Probably a dumb s/// question. Mark Healey Perl 2 03-16-2005 04:51 PM
Dumb, dumb dumb Qestion David Napierkowski Digital Photography 6 10-31-2004 11:14 PM
dumb question maybe, but......using a pix w/o a router possible? A. Yarrington Cisco 1 12-02-2003 08:44 PM