Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > which one out of 3

which one out of 3

\\\\\\

I'm looking to buy a digital camera very soon, I narrowed my choices down to
the following three:
Nikon d100
Nikon d70
Fuji s2
I'd like to hear your opinions on why you favor one over the other or you
think one better than another.
Thanks

tbm

I'm looking to buy a digital camera very soon, I narrowed my choices down to
the following three:
Nikon d100
Nikon d70
Fuji s2
I'd like to hear your opinions on why you favor one over the other or you
think one better than another.
Thanks

>i think it's got to be the d70.most up to date camera of the three,though i suspect all three are good.rgds to all from TBM...

---

Arty Phacting

Hi - if you are seeking perfection or at least higher performance it may
cost just a wee bit more than these 3

OTOH why not wait a month or 2? If new kit is released or announced at the
photoshow who knows what prices may be

Arts

"""""""" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm looking to buy a digital camera very soon, I narrowed my choices down

> the following three:
> Nikon d100
> Nikon d70
> Fuji s2
> I'd like to hear your opinions on why you favor one over the other or you
> think one better than another.
> Thanks

David Dyer-Bennet

"\"\"\"\"\"\"" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I'm looking to buy a digital camera very soon, I narrowed my choices down to
> the following three:
> Nikon d100
> Nikon d70
> Fuji s2
> I'd like to hear your opinions on why you favor one over the other or you
> think one better than another.

Well, I chose the S2 over the D100 back in December 2002, and I'm glad
I did. The S2 has a significantly better sensor, especially for
low-light work (noise levels). On the other hand, the user interface
is considerably clunkier. I'm a long-term photographer and a computer
geek, so I'm able to find my way around it fine, and don't mind the
things it can't do, but I won't argue it's the perfect choice for
everybody.

I don't know the D70 first-hand. It's obviously considerably
cheaper. I understand it loses some burst shot capability. It could
easily be the right choice for you.

hfs2

Is this your first camera? If so, try a used
3mp-ish unit and get a feel for it. Especially if
your a recreational shooter. $1G is alot of money.

"\"\"\"\"\"\"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<iG1Rc.26558$gd1.2246@trndny05>...
> I'm looking to buy a digital camera very soon, I narrowed my choices down to
> the following three:
> Nikon d100
> Nikon d70
> Fuji s2
> I'd like to hear your opinions on why you favor one over the other or you
> think one better than another.
> Thanks

Apteryx

"David Dyer-Bennet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-b.net...
> "\"\"\"\"\"\"" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > I'm looking to buy a digital camera very soon, I narrowed my choices

down to
> > the following three:
> > Nikon d100
> > Nikon d70
> > Fuji s2
> > I'd like to hear your opinions on why you favor one over the other

or you
> > think one better than another.

> Well, I chose the S2 over the D100 back in December 2002, and I'm glad
> I did. The S2 has a significantly better sensor, especially for
> low-light work (noise levels). On the other hand, the user interface
> is considerably clunkier. I'm a long-term photographer and a computer
> geek, so I'm able to find my way around it fine, and don't mind the
> things it can't do, but I won't argue it's the perfect choice for
> everybody.
>
> I don't know the D70 first-hand. It's obviously considerably
> cheaper. I understand it loses some burst shot capability.

The reverse is true. The D70 does not really have a burst mode in the
traditional digicam sense of a set number of frames that can be shot
before the camera shuts down for several seconds to write to the card.
You can just keep going (or restart at any time after stopping a
continuous burst) until the card is full, albeit at a slower rate once
the buffer is full - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page10.asp

The only advantage the S2 has in continous shooting is that with RAW it
can manage 7 frames before its buffer is full, whereas the D70 can only
manage 4. But as the S2 must come to a dead stop for 8 seconds once its
buffer is full, whereas the D70 can just keep on chugging on
indefinitely, even if at only 1 fps, to me the D70 has the advantage.
And with JPEGs (which I would be using if I were shooting continously)
it is the hands down winner.

There appears to be no aspect of continous shooting at which the D100 is
better than (or as good as) the D70.

--
Apteryx
Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

Mark M

"hfs2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Is this your first camera? If so, try a used
> 3mp-ish unit and get a feel for it. Especially if
> your a recreational shooter. $1G is alot of money.

Why are you trying to talk him into a comparatively crappy camera?
What is it about folks that make them think someone's first experience
should be crappy?