Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Question re Best Basic Software Package

Question re Best Basic Software Package

Robin MacNab

I am new to digital photography and have just begun to experiment with
editing etc. I understand the Adobe Photo Shop is the best software
package for editing, but I think that is expensive and probably a lot
more than I need. I basically just need a "quick fix" feature, and a
automatic red eye fixer, plus a bit of cropping capability. One
feature I would really like to have is the ability to remove a spot
like a pimple etc and copy over that with a nearby colour - from
elsewhere on the face, for example. Could somebody recommend a good
basic (and inexpensive) package that would do all this?

Petr

Adobe Photoshop Elements. Basic version of Photoshop. Works quite well as
long as you don't need to severely edit a photograph.

"Robin MacNab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am new to digital photography and have just begun to experiment with
> editing etc. I understand the Adobe Photo Shop is the best software
> package for editing, but I think that is expensive and probably a lot
> more than I need. I basically just need a "quick fix" feature, and a
> automatic red eye fixer, plus a bit of cropping capability. One
> feature I would really like to have is the ability to remove a spot
> like a pimple etc and copy over that with a nearby colour - from
> elsewhere on the face, for example. Could somebody recommend a good
> basic (and inexpensive) package that would do all this?

wayne

Paint shop pro from JASC is usally highly rated and priced reasonable

It is 89 dollars at amazon then there are 50 bucks in rebates!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...836723-4308025

Wayne

"Petr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Adobe Photoshop Elements. Basic version of Photoshop. Works quite well as
> long as you don't need to severely edit a photograph.
>
> "Robin MacNab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I am new to digital photography and have just begun to experiment with
> > editing etc. I understand the Adobe Photo Shop is the best software
> > package for editing, but I think that is expensive and probably a lot
> > more than I need. I basically just need a "quick fix" feature, and a
> > automatic red eye fixer, plus a bit of cropping capability. One
> > feature I would really like to have is the ability to remove a spot
> > like a pimple etc and copy over that with a nearby colour - from
> > elsewhere on the face, for example. Could somebody recommend a good
> > basic (and inexpensive) package that would do all this?

Bill Hilton

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Robin MacNab)

>Could somebody recommend a good
>basic (and inexpensive) package that would do all this?

Elements ... you can often find it for $50 or so, and it's shipped free with
several products, like some Canon dSLR cameras.

Ron Hunter

Robin MacNab wrote:
> I am new to digital photography and have just begun to experiment with
> editing etc. I understand the Adobe Photo Shop is the best software
> package for editing, but I think that is expensive and probably a lot
> more than I need. I basically just need a "quick fix" feature, and a
> automatic red eye fixer, plus a bit of cropping capability. One
> feature I would really like to have is the ability to remove a spot
> like a pimple etc and copy over that with a nearby colour - from
> elsewhere on the face, for example. Could somebody recommend a good
> basic (and inexpensive) package that would do all this?

Try Photoshop Elements. Runs about $53 at Sam's Club.
Does just what you want. There IS a 'learning curve', so be ready to
invest some time in learning the basics of editing.

David J Taylor

Robin MacNab wrote:
> I am new to digital photography and have just begun to experiment with
> editing etc. I understand the Adobe Photo Shop is the best software

[]
> Could somebody recommend a good
> basic (and inexpensive) package that would do all this?

JASC's Paint Shop Pro.

Version 8 is current and version 9 is in beta right now - it includes
red-eye removal and some new noise reduction tools for digital camera use.
Very friendly user support forums (newgroups) as well. PSP9 beta is a
free download so why not give it a try?

http://www.jasc.com/community/beta/pspdownload.asp

Cheers,
David

YoYo

Robin try the program IrfanView it is
free and does what you need and more.
http://www.irfanview.com

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

YoYo wrote:
> Robin try the program IrfanView it is
> free and does what you need and more.
> http://www.irfanview.com

Irfanview is a great program, and I use it daily, but it will NOT do
what the OP requires.

Marvin Margoshes

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in message news:NU1Rc.790$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robin MacNab wrote:
> > I am new to digital photography and have just begun to experiment with
> > editing etc. I understand the Adobe Photo Shop is the best software

> []
> > Could somebody recommend a good
> > basic (and inexpensive) package that would do all this?

> JASC's Paint Shop Pro.
>
> Version 8 is current and version 9 is in beta right now - it includes
> red-eye removal and some new noise reduction tools for digital camera use.
> Very friendly user support forums (newgroups) as well. PSP9 beta is a
> free download so why not give it a try?
>
> http://www.jasc.com/community/beta/pspdownload.asp
>
> Cheers,
> David

Beta versions are often buggy. Instead, download v.8 of PSP for a free
30-day trial.
PSP has simple steps for what you want, and oyu can learn more sophisticated
editing later if you like. If you decide to buy it, you can often find a
greatly reduced price online, from vendors like CompUSA. Now that v.9 is
oin beta, the buying v.8 will usually allow you to get v.9 free.

Michael Schnell

If you want a free one that goes in the direction of Photoshop: Gimp.

Quite cheap (regarding what it can do) and especially useful for the all-day
work on digital photos ("global" corrections and a database to sort and
refind them): Thumbs Plus 2000.

-Michael