Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > how do i adjust temperature digitally ?

how do i adjust temperature digitally ?

Beowulf

I shot digital photos today with my Canon 10D, of a model with silver
paint all over her body. But the photos came out so she is not exactly
silver, likely I have the color temp setting wrong for my camera. What can
I do with Photoshop, etc. (I use GIMP) to correct this -- will simply
changing the color hue or balance suffice? Other ideas? Downloading
photos from my camera as I type this so all I have seen are thumbnails so
far.
~Beowulf

--
"It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

Skip M

"Beowulf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I shot digital photos today with my Canon 10D, of a model with silver
> paint all over her body. But the photos came out so she is not exactly
> silver, likely I have the color temp setting wrong for my camera. What can
> I do with Photoshop, etc. (I use GIMP) to correct this -- will simply
> changing the color hue or balance suffice? Other ideas? Downloading
> photos from my camera as I type this so all I have seen are thumbnails so
> far.
> ~Beowulf
>
> --
> "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

One thing I've found is that the 10D thinks that 4400K is daylight rather
than the generally accepted 5400K.
Try shifting the cyan in PShop about 16%, that might help.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Beowulf

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 12:04:49 -0700, Skip M wrote:
> One thing I've found is that the 10D thinks that 4400K is daylight rather
> than the generally accepted 5400K.
> Try shifting the cyan in PShop about 16%, that might help.

I was shooting with 500W Tungsten lighting only (no sunlight, no flash)--
what temp would that be (Not sure what temp to set the camera at for
tungsten. And then what about sunlight with flash tungsten fill lighting?

--
"It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

Arty Phacting

r u not using RAW?

Maybe the RAW software will allow such a tweak

Or there is always the amazing - incredible - Dr Brown's plugin

It is amazing - it is incredible -

Arts

"Beowulf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I shot digital photos today with my Canon 10D, of a model with silver
> paint all over her body. But the photos came out so she is not exactly
> silver, likely I have the color temp setting wrong for my camera. What can
> I do with Photoshop, etc. (I use GIMP) to correct this -- will simply
> changing the color hue or balance suffice? Other ideas? Downloading
> photos from my camera as I type this so all I have seen are thumbnails so
> far.
> ~Beowulf
>
> --
> "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

Skip M

"Beowulf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 12:04:49 -0700, Skip M wrote:
> ..
> > One thing I've found is that the 10D thinks that 4400K is daylight

rather
> > than the generally accepted 5400K.
> > Try shifting the cyan in PShop about 16%, that might help.

> I was shooting with 500W Tungsten lighting only (no sunlight, no flash)--
> what temp would that be (Not sure what temp to set the camera at for
> tungsten. And then what about sunlight with flash tungsten fill lighting?
>

> --
> "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

That's probably more like 3200K, but you should use custom WB in the future.
Get something pure white, put it under those lights, and set your WB from
that. Sunlight and flash are very close to the same temp, I don't know of a
"flash tungsten" fill, but there is a "flash" setting in the WB selections,
as there is a "tungsten" setting there, too. I've found the tungsten WB to
be a little warm, but you may not.
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Sabineellen

Are you sure your monitor is calibrated? You ought to check this before you
fiddle with the image itself.

Skip M

"Sabineellen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Are you sure your monitor is calibrated? You ought to check this before

you
> fiddle with the image itself.

What does this have to do with anything? If the review on the camera, and
the final print match the monitor, whether it's calibrated or not is moot.
What I was doing was relating my experience with the camera. If yours is
different, share it.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Marvin Margoshes

"Beowulf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I shot digital photos today with my Canon 10D, of a model with silver
> paint all over her body. But the photos came out so she is not exactly
> silver, likely I have the color temp setting wrong for my camera. What can
> I do with Photoshop, etc. (I use GIMP) to correct this -- will simply
> changing the color hue or balance suffice? Other ideas? Downloading
> photos from my camera as I type this so all I have seen are thumbnails so
> far.
> ~Beowulf
>
> --
> "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

Paint Shop Pro has a color balance app that lets you dial in a color
temperature and see the result on the photo. You can pick an appropriate
temperature by trial. I imagne Photoshop has something similar.

Frank ess

Marvin Margoshes wrote:
> "Beowulf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I shot digital photos today with my Canon 10D, of a model with silver
>> paint all over her body. But the photos came out so she is not
>> exactly silver, likely I have the color temp setting wrong for my
>> camera. What can I do with Photoshop, etc. (I use GIMP) to correct
>> this -- will simply changing the color hue or balance suffice? Other
>> ideas? Downloading photos from my camera as I type this so all I
>> have seen are thumbnails so far.
>> ~Beowulf
>>
>> --
>> "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed
>> Linux."
>>

> Paint Shop Pro has a color balance app that lets you dial in a color
> temperature and see the result on the photo. You can pick an
> appropriate temperature by trial. I imagne Photoshop has something
> similar.

I'd use sliders in the equivalent of Photo Shop's Levels Red, Green,
Blue channels to lose the tint (since I'm going to be there anyway) as a
first try.

--
Frank ess

Mike Henley

"Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<A26Rc.12016$ih.690@fed1read07>...
> "Sabineellen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Are you sure your monitor is calibrated? You ought to check this before

> you
> > fiddle with the image itself.

> What does this have to do with anything? If the review on the camera, and
> the final print match the monitor, whether it's calibrated or not is moot.
> What I was doing was relating my experience with the camera. If yours is
> different, share it.

I was responding to this and I assumed he saw the thumbnails on the monitor