Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Image tank / digital wallet options

Image tank / digital wallet options

JC Dill

I need an image tank / digital wallet of some sort. I have a laptop,
but I need something I can have on me in the field. I have 2 1 GB CF
cards, and I shot in Raw which gets ~140 shots per card. When I'm
shooting action shots I can fill up a card in an hour and so I need to
be able to swap the full card with the empty one, and have the image
tank / digital wallet copy the images off of the full card while I'm
shooting, so that it's empty and ready for the next swap.

I need a unit that automatically shuts down or suspends itself when it's
done moving the images (to save on battery life). I'd also like a unit
where the user can swap the hard drive for a larger one later, when
needed. (Where are the X-Drives? I can't find them on either B&H or
Adorama.)

I'd love feedback from people who own or have used any of the following
items:

Delkin Devices eFilm Picture Pad - Visual Storage Bank
(30 GB - $420 @ Adorama)

SmartDisk FTX40 FlashTrax Portable HD & MP3 Player W/3.5" LCD Screen
(40 GB - $490 @ Adorama, 20 GB - $400 @ Adorama)

Adorama SDB - Super Digibin Hard Drive. Internal Rechargeable battery,
Built-in compact flash/micro drive slot, USB interface
(60 GB - $400 @ Adorama)

MindStor Digital Wallet Stand-Alone Data Storage Unit
(30 GB - $400 @ B&H)

Jobo Image Tank G2 Digital Storage, with Built-in Rechargeable Battery
(20 GB - $330 @ Adorama)

Nixvue Digital Album - Portable Hard Drive Disk Storage
(30 GB - $330 @ B&H or Adorama)

MediaGear Flash HD to Go Portable Hard Drive with Flash Memory Slots
(60 GB - $300 @ Adorama)

Wolverine SixPac Stand-Alone Data Storage Unit & Media Reader
(60 GB - $280 @ B&H)

Micro Solutions RoadStor Portable 24x CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive & Card Reader
($270 @ B&H)

In particular, I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has used the
Wolverine (60 GB of storage for $280 sounds good!) or the Adorama SDB
with the built-in battery recharger.

Thanks!

jc

Arthur Small

I have used the IT G2 with great success. I also have a Addonics
Multifunction CD burner, see:http://www.addonics.com/products/mfr/mfr.asp.
Burner for sale.

Bill Hilton

>From: JC Dill http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>
>I need an image tank / digital wallet of some sort.
>
>I'd love feedback from people who own or have used any of the following
>items:
>
>Nixvue Digital Album - Portable Hard Drive Disk Storage
>(30 GB - $330 @ B&H or Adorama)

Can't help you with the others, but I've been using a Nixvue DA Lite 60 GB for
a while, which I like and dislike for various reasons mentioned below. The
Lite doesn't have the preview screen, which I think is only useful if you're
shooting jpegs anyway and since I always shoot RAW I don't need it.

Dislike the wimpy battery since it will only download about four 1 GB CF cards
before running low on power. Now I only use it with the power supply plugged
in.

Dislike the download speed, which appears to be USB 1.1 since it takes around
15 minutes to download a 1 GB card. Too slow, waaaay too slow.

Dislike the high cost, but then I needed 60 GB for long trips since my wife and
I shoot RAW with two Canon 1D Mark II's and a 1Ds so we fill up cards fast,
especially with the 8 frame/sec Mark II's.

Dislike how it runs very hot when transferring large files or folders via the
USB to/from the computer. I wonder about the long-term reliability of this
unit.

Dislike the instruction booklet, which is for the non-Lite model, leaving you
to guess at some of the functions

Like how compact it is, I travel with it in my photo jacket pocket.

Like the high capacity ... we just returned from a week in Alaska and shot
almost 20 GB of images (would have shot more but the weather was bad 3 days)
and the Nixvue was fine with that.

Like the fast transfer speed via USB 2 cable when used to move files to/from a
laptop. 913 MB transfers from the Nixvue to the laptop in 1:12 or about 12.7
MB/sec and from the laptop to the Nixvue in 1:19 or 11.6 MB/sec, which is
pretty good.

Basically I use it as a backup to the laptop when travelling, downloading CF
cards to the laptop at USB 2 speeds and doing a quick sort of the rejects on
the laptop with Capture One, then copying the folders to the Nixvue as a
precaution. It's easier to do this than to write off CD-R's for those of us
who don't trust having only one place to store images.

I'll be taking the Nixvue on a more rugged camping trip to Katmai in September
for bear photography and won't have the laptop with me, so will try to keep the
images on both the CF cards (12 GB should hopefully do it), using the Nixvue as
a backup (we'll have a generator in camp so I won't have to worry about
batteries).

>I can fill up a card in an hour and so I need to
>be able to swap the full card with the empty one, and have the image
>tank / digital wallet copy the images off of the full card while I'm
>shooting

My advice is to try to find a device that is faster than USB 1.1 so it won't
take 15 minutes for your 1 GB cards to download, and to look for something with
more battery power than the Nixvue, though there was an optional battery pack
than runs on AA's. The Nixvue is OK power-wise for a few cards but dies off
too quickly for my tastes.

Let us know what you decide, I'm sure a lot of people are interested in this
type of solution.

Bill

Philip

I have just bought an X Drive Pro 20gig for this purpose.
I saw it on the QVC home shopping chanel ( www.qvc.uk.com ) here in the U.K
& bought one.
I'm afraid that i don't know of any retail outlets for this device.

Phil.
"JC Dill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dNOQc.6070$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need an image tank / digital wallet of some sort. I have a laptop,
> but I need something I can have on me in the field. I have 2 1 GB CF
> cards, and I shot in Raw which gets ~140 shots per card. When I'm
> shooting action shots I can fill up a card in an hour and so I need to
> be able to swap the full card with the empty one, and have the image
> tank / digital wallet copy the images off of the full card while I'm
> shooting, so that it's empty and ready for the next swap.
>
> I need a unit that automatically shuts down or suspends itself when it's
> done moving the images (to save on battery life). I'd also like a unit
> where the user can swap the hard drive for a larger one later, when
> needed. (Where are the X-Drives? I can't find them on either B&H or
> Adorama.)
>
> I'd love feedback from people who own or have used any of the following
> items:
>
> Delkin Devices eFilm Picture Pad - Visual Storage Bank
> (30 GB - $420 @ Adorama)
>
> SmartDisk FTX40 FlashTrax Portable HD & MP3 Player W/3.5" LCD Screen
> (40 GB - $490 @ Adorama, 20 GB - $400 @ Adorama)
>
> Adorama SDB - Super Digibin Hard Drive. Internal Rechargeable battery,
> Built-in compact flash/micro drive slot, USB interface
> (60 GB - $400 @ Adorama)
>
> MindStor Digital Wallet Stand-Alone Data Storage Unit
> (30 GB - $400 @ B&H)
>
> Jobo Image Tank G2 Digital Storage, with Built-in Rechargeable Battery
> (20 GB - $330 @ Adorama)
>
> Nixvue Digital Album - Portable Hard Drive Disk Storage
> (30 GB - $330 @ B&H or Adorama)
>
> MediaGear Flash HD to Go Portable Hard Drive with Flash Memory Slots
> (60 GB - $300 @ Adorama)
>
> Wolverine SixPac Stand-Alone Data Storage Unit & Media Reader
> (60 GB - $280 @ B&H)
>
> Micro Solutions RoadStor Portable 24x CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive & Card Reader
> ($270 @ B&H)
>
> In particular, I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has used the
> Wolverine (60 GB of storage for $280 sounds good!) or the Adorama SDB
> with the built-in battery recharger.
>
> Thanks!
>
> jc

Michael Meissner

JC Dill <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I need an image tank / digital wallet of some sort. I have a laptop, but I
> need something I can have on me in the field. I have 2 1 GB CF cards, and I
> shot in Raw which gets ~140 shots per card. When I'm shooting action shots I
> can fill up a card in an hour and so I need to be able to swap the full card
> with the empty one, and have the image tank / digital wallet copy the images
> off of the full card while I'm shooting, so that it's empty and ready for the
> next swap.
>
> I need a unit that automatically shuts down or suspends itself when it's done
> moving the images (to save on battery life). I'd also like a unit where the
> user can swap the hard drive for a larger one later, when needed. (Where are
> the X-Drives? I can't find them on either B&H or Adorama.)

From the picture, the Wolverine is probably a relabled x-drive II clone. I
suspect all of the devices shut themselves off if you aren't using them. My
x-drive II certainly does.

You can get x-drive's at insidecomputer.com (where I got mine), and
mydigitaldiscount.com. My digitaldicount.com has a new device I've seen a lot
of good buzz on (CompactDrive) which is evidently very fast.

> I'd love feedback from people who own or have used any of the following items:
>
> Delkin Devices eFilm Picture Pad - Visual Storage Bank
> (30 GB - $420 @ Adorama)
>
> SmartDisk FTX40 FlashTrax Portable HD & MP3 Player W/3.5" LCD Screen
> (40 GB - $490 @ Adorama, 20 GB - $400 @ Adorama)
>
> Adorama SDB - Super Digibin Hard Drive. Internal Rechargeable battery, Built-in
> compact flash/micro drive slot, USB interface
> (60 GB - $400 @ Adorama)
>
> MindStor Digital Wallet Stand-Alone Data Storage Unit
> (30 GB - $400 @ B&H)

Stay away from this one. Minds at Work went out of business last year, so I
imagine B&H is just selling existing stock.

> Jobo Image Tank G2 Digital Storage, with Built-in Rechargeable Battery
> (20 GB - $330 @ Adorama)
>
> Nixvue Digital Album - Portable Hard Drive Disk Storage
> (30 GB - $330 @ B&H or Adorama)
>
> MediaGear Flash HD to Go Portable Hard Drive with Flash Memory Slots
> (60 GB - $300 @ Adorama)
>
> Wolverine SixPac Stand-Alone Data Storage Unit & Media Reader
> (60 GB - $280 @ B&H)

If wolverine is really an x-drive II, the copy times from a media card to the
unit are fairly slow (twice as slow as my old Image Bank), and the battery
doesn't last all that long (in my case, copying 12 128-megabyte SM cards). I
just bought an external battery pack for it to make it last longer during the
day. It also doesn't have a verify function if that is important to you.

> Micro Solutions RoadStor Portable 24x CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive & Card Reader
> ($270 @ B&H)

Note for 1 gig cards, you are going to have to write 2 CDs. While I think CD
writers are safer in case of accidents, I think they are not as conveinent to
use during a shooting day, since they are larger, and you need to bring CD
blanks.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Sante

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 16:58:49 GMT, JC Dill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need an image tank / digital wallet of some sort. I have a laptop,
>but I need something I can have on me in the field. I have 2 1 GB CF
>cards, and I shot in Raw which gets ~140 shots per card. When I'm
>shooting action shots I can fill up a card in an hour and so I need to
>be able to swap the full card with the empty one, and have the image
>tank / digital wallet copy the images off of the full card while I'm
>shooting, so that it's empty and ready for the next swap.
>
>I need a unit that automatically shuts down or suspends itself when it's
>done moving the images (to save on battery life). I'd also like a unit
>where the user can swap the hard drive for a larger one later, when
>needed. (Where are the X-Drives? I can't find them on either B&H or
>Adorama.)

X-drive pro at :

http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au/

Sante

My first camera : Kodak Instamatic 277X

Tony H

JC Dill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need an image tank / digital wallet of some sort. I have a laptop,
>but I need something I can have on me in the field. I have 2 1 GB CF
>cards, and I shot in Raw which gets ~140 shots per card. When I'm
>shooting action shots I can fill up a card in an hour and so I need to
>be able to swap the full card with the empty one, and have the image
>tank / digital wallet copy the images off of the full card while I'm
>shooting, so that it's empty and ready for the next swap.
>
>I need a unit that automatically shuts down or suspends itself when it's
>done moving the images (to save on battery life). I'd also like a unit
>where the user can swap the hard drive for a larger one later, when
>needed. (Where are the X-Drives? I can't find them on either B&H or
>Adorama.)
>
>I'd love feedback from people who own or have used any of the following
>items:
>
>Delkin Devices eFilm Picture Pad - Visual Storage Bank
>(30 GB - $420 @ Adorama)
>
>SmartDisk FTX40 FlashTrax Portable HD & MP3 Player W/3.5" LCD Screen
>(40 GB - $490 @ Adorama, 20 GB - $400 @ Adorama)

JC

I have a clone of the SmartDisk FlashTrax, called Phototainer. Same
device but different badge.

I've found it very useful and easy to use - just plug in a Cf card and
it wakes up and copies automatically, then shuts down its hard drive
on completion. I don't think the hard drive is upgradeable though, but
they now do a 60Gb version I believe. Copying a full 1 Gb CF disk
takes about 20 minutes.

The 3.5" screen is adequate for reviewing shots, but it's not of great
quality - lower resolution & contrast than most camera back displays,
but still useful. What really surprised me though, was that it found
the JPGs that are embedded within my Pentax *istD's RAW files and
happily displayed these - something that my various PC browsers can't
do!

Cheers
TonyH

Portable image tank recommendations Graham Archer Digital Photography 1 02-23-2006 11:01 AM
Image Tank Bo Digital Photography 1 07-14-2004 09:15 PM
Image Tank versus used Laptop Bill Lillycrop Digital Photography 39 07-06-2004 12:17 PM
Has anyone got an Image Tank ? RustY Digital Photography 3 01-21-2004 10:35 AM
Anybody with experience with the Image Tank G2 ? Niels J. Larsen Digital Photography 0 01-16-2004 07:16 PM

Advertisments