Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Archive quality DVDs

Archive quality DVDs

ice

Hello

I have about 9 gb sitting on my hard drive of photos that I need to back up.

I have found that some of the CDs I burned about 8 years ago no longer work
due to the deterioration of the medium and I really don't want that to
happen to photos.

Can anyone recommend a good archive process? Preferable DVDs butother
options would also be welcome - although expense is a factor

Thank you
Ice

Malcolm Stewart

"ice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4113880c$0$521$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I have about 9 gb sitting on my hard drive of photos that I need to back

up.
> I have found that some of the CDs I burned about 8 years ago no longer

work
> due to the deterioration of the medium and I really don't want that to
> happen to photos.
> Can anyone recommend a good archive process? Preferable DVDs butother
> options would also be welcome - although expense is a factor
> Thank you
> Ice

Why not archive to another hard drive? They're getting cheaper by the
month, and there must be data recovery services available should they give
trouble. (And I do have both CD & DVD burners.)

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Ken Weitzel

ice wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have about 9 gb sitting on my hard drive of photos that I need to back up.
>
> I have found that some of the CDs I burned about 8 years ago no longer work
> due to the deterioration of the medium and I really don't want that to
> happen to photos.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good archive process? Preferable DVDs butother
> options would also be welcome - although expense is a factor
>
> Thank you
> Ice

Hi Ice...

I have a suggestion, if I may?

Keeping in mind that you said expense is a factor, blank
media is incredibly inexpensive these days... particulary
so if you shop carefully, and buy when the right opportunities
present themselves. We can find dvd's for as little as
75 cents (cdn) each once in a while.

What I do with irreplacable pics is burn them a few times,
then distribute one copy to each of the kids and one to
a favored neighbor.

Then once in a while (a year or two at most) I re-burn my
copy so as to have a fresh copy. (so do the kids). Because
they take so little space, we also keep the older one just
in case.

The neighbor that gets a copy doesn't use it, doesn't
touch it - just sticks it away up top of a bedroom closet,
or perhaps the unused corner of a top kitchen cabinet.
Naturally I do the same for them.

With this "plan", we protect not only from bad media, but
also from fire, smoke, water, burglary, vandalism...

And remembering your expense counts part, precious pics
of your kids or grandkids are imho worth the price of
a coffee once every year or so, eh?

Take care.

Ken

ice

Hello Ken

Multiple copies in multiple places...

Sounds like a plan

Is it worth getting expensive DVDr for the backups or is one DVDr the same
as any other?

If they are different, any brand recommendations?

Cheers

Ice

"Ken Weitzel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsrNQc.28090$J06.15472@pd7tw2no...

> ice wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I have about 9 gb sitting on my hard drive of photos that I need to back

up.

> > I have found that some of the CDs I burned about 8 years ago no longer

work
> > due to the deterioration of the medium and I really don't want that to
> > happen to photos.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a good archive process? Preferable DVDs butother
> > options would also be welcome - although expense is a factor
> >
> > Thank you
> > Ice

> Hi Ice...
>
> I have a suggestion, if I may?
>
> Keeping in mind that you said expense is a factor, blank
> media is incredibly inexpensive these days... particulary
> so if you shop carefully, and buy when the right opportunities
> present themselves. We can find dvd's for as little as
> 75 cents (cdn) each once in a while.
>
> What I do with irreplacable pics is burn them a few times,
> then distribute one copy to each of the kids and one to
> a favored neighbor.
>
> Then once in a while (a year or two at most) I re-burn my
> copy so as to have a fresh copy. (so do the kids). Because
> they take so little space, we also keep the older one just
> in case.
>
> The neighbor that gets a copy doesn't use it, doesn't
> touch it - just sticks it away up top of a bedroom closet,
> or perhaps the unused corner of a top kitchen cabinet.
> Naturally I do the same for them.
>
> With this "plan", we protect not only from bad media, but
> also from fire, smoke, water, burglary, vandalism...
>
> And remembering your expense counts part, precious pics
> of your kids or grandkids are imho worth the price of
> a coffee once every year or so, eh?
>
> Take care.
>
> Ken

Ken Weitzel

ice wrote:
> Hello Ken
>
> Multiple copies in multiple places...
>
> Sounds like a plan
>
> Is it worth getting expensive DVDr for the backups or is one DVDr the same
> as any other?
>
> If they are different, any brand recommendations?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ice

Hi Ice...

I'm pretty sure that the pro's among us are going to
disagree - and I stand ready to be corrected - but I've
never found even the slightest difference. I've bought
high quality (need 'em NOW), and I've bought based
solely on price and near as I can tell they're all the
same.

One thing I neglected to mention in the first post -
we never compress them - no zip's or rar's. If we did
we could save a few kbytes or even a bunch of megs, but
then one corrupted byte in the wrong place could make a
whole archive unusable rather than just one or two pics.

Take care.

Ken

> "Ken Weitzel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsrNQc.28090$J06.15472@pd7tw2no...
>

>>ice wrote:
>>
>>>Hello
>>>
>>>I have about 9 gb sitting on my hard drive of photos that I need to back

> up.
>
>>>I have found that some of the CDs I burned about 8 years ago no longer

> work
>
>>>due to the deterioration of the medium and I really don't want that to
>>>happen to photos.
>>>
>>>Can anyone recommend a good archive process? Preferable DVDs butother
>>>options would also be welcome - although expense is a factor
>>>
>>>Thank you
>>>Ice

>>Hi Ice...
>>
>>I have a suggestion, if I may?
>>
>>Keeping in mind that you said expense is a factor, blank
>>media is incredibly inexpensive these days... particulary
>>so if you shop carefully, and buy when the right opportunities
>>present themselves. We can find dvd's for as little as
>>75 cents (cdn) each once in a while.
>>
>>What I do with irreplacable pics is burn them a few times,
>>then distribute one copy to each of the kids and one to
>>a favored neighbor.
>>
>>Then once in a while (a year or two at most) I re-burn my
>>copy so as to have a fresh copy. (so do the kids). Because
>>they take so little space, we also keep the older one just
>>in case.
>>
>>The neighbor that gets a copy doesn't use it, doesn't
>>touch it - just sticks it away up top of a bedroom closet,
>>or perhaps the unused corner of a top kitchen cabinet.
>>Naturally I do the same for them.
>>
>>With this "plan", we protect not only from bad media, but
>>also from fire, smoke, water, burglary, vandalism...
>>
>>And remembering your expense counts part, precious pics
>>of your kids or grandkids are imho worth the price of
>>a coffee once every year or so, eh?
>>
>>Take care.
>>
>>Ken

Ken Weitzel

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
> "ice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4113880c$0$521$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hello
>>
>>I have about 9 gb sitting on my hard drive of photos that I need to back

> up.
>
>>I have found that some of the CDs I burned about 8 years ago no longer

> work
>
>>due to the deterioration of the medium and I really don't want that to
>>happen to photos.
>>Can anyone recommend a good archive process? Preferable DVDs butother
>>options would also be welcome - although expense is a factor
>>Thank you
>>Ice

> Why not archive to another hard drive? They're getting cheaper by the
> month, and there must be data recovery services available should they give
> trouble. (And I do have both CD & DVD burners.)

Hi Malcolm...

With all due respect, I'd suggest not using it as your
only backup...

It still leaves you exposed to all kinds of malware...

And when (not if) the drive crashes, sure there are data
recovery services... but they require that you take out
a second mortgage - unbelievably expensive.

Take care.

Ken

Alfred Molon

ice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hello Ken
>
>Multiple copies in multiple places...
>
>Sounds like a plan
>
>Is it worth getting expensive DVDr for the backups or is one DVDr the same
>as any other?
>
>If they are different, any brand recommendations?

For the DVD burner I'm using (LG GSA 4040B) I have set up a
compatibility list here, based on reports of different people:

http://www.ddde.de/4040B.html
(sorry German only)

It appears that the cheapest media cause problems: some don't burn, some
burn only at 2x instead of 4x, some can't be read in other DVD players.
In the case of the Sky DVDs it even happened that the burning process
went fine, but only a few months later all data was unreadable and
unretrievably lost (this is what Andreas reported a few days ago).

So, if you value your images, don't use the cheapest media. I recommend
that you use branded media - check with the manufacturer of your DVD
burner what brands they recommend.
--

Alfred Molon

John McGraw

"Malcolm Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cf05as$s92$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "ice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4113880c$0$521$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello
> >
> > I have about 9 gb sitting on my hard drive of photos that I need to back

> up.
> > I have found that some of the CDs I burned about 8 years ago no longer

> work
> > due to the deterioration of the medium and I really don't want that to
> > happen to photos.
> > Can anyone recommend a good archive process? Preferable DVDs butother
> > options would also be welcome - although expense is a factor
> > Thank you
> > Ice

> Why not archive to another hard drive? They're getting cheaper by the
> month, and there must be data recovery services available should they give
> trouble. (And I do have both CD & DVD burners.)

Dear senior ICE
Where these deteriorating CDs burned on CD-R or CD-RW? I only know
what I've read, but the consensus seems to be that CD-RW is very
unstable, but CD-R should be stable for some time.
I also understand that no magnetic media has archival permanents,
which, of course, includes hard drives. Hope that helps, John

Michael Meissner

"ice" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hello Ken
>
> Multiple copies in multiple places...
>
> Sounds like a plan

And when you are making multiple copies, use different brands of media (ie, if
you buy a stack of DVDs and it was a bad bunch, you don't increase your
reliability by making multiple copies, since it is likely all copies will be
bad). Also, burn at a slower speed than the max, and verify the files after
burning.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Dave Martindale

Ken Weitzel <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>And when (not if) the drive crashes, sure there are data
>recovery services... but they require that you take out
>a second mortgage - unbelievably expensive.

In addition, a real physical head crash onto the data surface can
grind and scatter the recording medium into (physical) tiny bits that
then distribute themselves around the inside surface of the drive
housing. *Nothing* can recover the data that was on that platter; it
has literally been scattered to the wind.

I have a disk platter sitting on the mantel that is the result of such a
crash. The head removed *all* the oxide from the aluminum platter, down
to bare aluminum, and then started chewing off aluminum flakes before
the drive finally shut itself down.

Fortunately, I had a tape backup.

Dave