Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Distortion

Distortion

J E van der Spuy

With the smaller CCD size one has the associated multiplication factor (i.e
1.6 on the Canon 10D).

Does this mean that only the central portion of the lense is used. Is the
distortion on digital and film identical at the same focal lenght (i.e long
nose on model @ 28mm) .

Jeremy Nixon

J E van der Spuy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does this mean that only the central portion of the lense is used. Is the
> distortion on digital and film identical at the same focal lenght (i.e long
> nose on model @ 28mm) .

No, use the 35mm equivalent focal length to compare. That is, a long nose
at 28mm would look the same at 17.5mm with a 1.6 multiplier.

--
Jeremy | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

David Dyer-Bennet

"J E van der Spuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> With the smaller CCD size one has the associated multiplication
> factor (i.e 1.6 on the Canon 10D).
>
> Does this mean that only the central portion of the lense is used.
> Is the distortion on digital and film identical at the same focal
> lenght (i.e long nose on model @ 28mm) .

It's the camera position, not the lens focal length, that controls
that. They're not unrelated; in that to show the whole head at a
certain distance requires a wide field of view. But it's still
important to understand what controls what.

But that answers your question -- given the same camera position, the
size relationship between the nose and the face will be the same
regardless of format -- be it 1.6x digital, 35mm, medium format,
whatever. If you *also* choose a lens with the same angle of view,
then the photos will look essentially identical (depth of field will
vary I think, and grain and smoothness may vary depending on negative
size, of course). (The focal length of the lens that gives that angle
of view will depend on the format.)

PAP2 distortion Oldie UK VOIP 0 03-03-2006 02:48 PM
Distortion On Streaming Audio Fudge Computer Support 1 10-18-2004 03:18 PM
desk top distortion george lewis Computer Support 5 11-28-2003 07:35 PM
jpg and gif distortion on webpage Larry Smith Computer Support 13 11-20-2003 09:57 PM
Wide-angle distortion on a digital Mike Graham Digital Photography 4 10-01-2003 05:30 PM

Advertisments