Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Memory cards - indestructible?

Memory cards - indestructible?

Steve

(BBC News)---The memory cards in most cameras are virtually
indestructible, found Digital Camera Shopper magazine.

They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
six tests.

Most of them did fail to get through two additional tests - being
smashed by a sledgehammer and being nailed to a tree. Even then, data
experts were able to retrieve photos from the xD and Smartmedia cards.

Bruce Chastain

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (BBC News)---The memory cards in most cameras are virtually
> indestructible, found Digital Camera Shopper magazine.
>
> They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
> coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
> given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
> six tests.

By accident, I once ran a 512MB Compactflash card through a single washer
cycle in a jeans pocket, and it failed complexly. It was a very expensive
mistake.

I assume the wash water got inside and shorted it out. I even tried opening
the compactflash card shell to clean and dry it out, but still no go. A
complete loss.

Bruce.

Ron Hunter

Bruce Chastain wrote:
> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>(BBC News)---The memory cards in most cameras are virtually
>>indestructible, found Digital Camera Shopper magazine.
>>
>>They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
>>coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
>>given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
>>six tests.

> By accident, I once ran a 512MB Compactflash card through a single washer
> cycle in a jeans pocket, and it failed complexly. It was a very expensive
> mistake.
>
> I assume the wash water got inside and shorted it out. I even tried opening
> the compactflash card shell to clean and dry it out, but still no go. A
> complete loss.
>
> Bruce.

What probably happened was that it wasn't completely dry when you tried
to read it.

Steve

"Bruce Chastain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>By accident, I once ran a 512MB Compactflash card through a single washer
>cycle in a jeans pocket, and it failed completely. It was a very expensive
>mistake.

See, shoulda bought that extended warranty. Or maybe the Levis
warranty would cover this.

Charles Schuler

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> (BBC News)---The memory cards in most cameras are virtually
> indestructible, found Digital Camera Shopper magazine.
>
> They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
> coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
> given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
> six tests.
>
> Most of them did fail to get through two additional tests - being
> smashed by a sledgehammer and being nailed to a tree. Even then, data
> experts were able to retrieve photos from the xD and Smartmedia cards.

I must be the most unlucky person in the world as I have had four smart
media cards fail over a four-year period and they were never abused at all.
They were not all the same brand.

Steve

"Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (BBC News)---The memory cards in most cameras are virtually
>> indestructible, found Digital Camera Shopper magazine.

>I must be the most unlucky person in the world as I have had four smart
>media cards fail over a four-year period and they were never abused at all.
>They were not all the same brand.

See, the trick is to abuse them, then they'll last forever!

Ron Hunter

Charles Schuler wrote:
> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>(BBC News)---The memory cards in most cameras are virtually
>>indestructible, found Digital Camera Shopper magazine.
>>
>>They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
>>coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
>>given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
>>six tests.
>>
>>Most of them did fail to get through two additional tests - being
>>smashed by a sledgehammer and being nailed to a tree. Even then, data
>>experts were able to retrieve photos from the xD and Smartmedia cards.

> I must be the most unlucky person in the world as I have had four smart
> media cards fail over a four-year period and they were never abused at all.
> They were not all the same brand.

The weak point with SM cards is the rather large contacts on the back.
Also, they are rather large (as such things go), and quite thin, so they
may flex than is healthy.

Scott Schuckert

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
> coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
> given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
> six tests.

I can speak from experience that CF cards will not survive being played
with by a 13-year old Amazon parrot. Don't ask...

Bruce Chastain

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What probably happened was that it wasn't completely dry when you tried
> to read it.

It was as dry as it was possible to make it, which may or may not have been
good enough. Anyway, my wash "test" cona CompactFlash was a failure.

Bruce.

Steve

Scott Schuckert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
>> coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
>> given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
>> six tests.

>I can speak from experience that CF cards will not survive being played
>with by a 13-year old Amazon parrot. Don't ask...

Have you noticed any improvement in the parrot's memory?