Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Newbie needs software help

Newbie needs software help

BG

Am a newbie to digital and am mostly a point and shoot kind of gal..
After 2 months decided on Lumix FZ10. Well, am back from vacation and
find I need a software that is easy and functional to use in order to
organize and send photos via email. Please advise how I can decide on
an easy and good choice.. Thanks! mtngal

swingman

IMHO you made a good camera choice <g>. Regarding software, no doubt you will get many recommendations. I like to use OfotoNow to initially download pictures to the computer (free from www.ofotonow.com ). To quickly make thumbnails for emailing I use Easy Thumbnails ( http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php?2.8 ) which is also free. For color & contrast adjustments, and printing I use MS PictureIT! which I think is a good program for a "newbie" since many of it's functions are automated. Good luck and enjoy!

"BG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Am a newbie to digital and am mostly a point and shoot kind of gal..
> After 2 months decided on Lumix FZ10. Well, am back from vacation and
> find I need a software that is easy and functional to use in order to
> organize and send photos via email. Please advise how I can decide on
> an easy and good choice.. Thanks! mtngal

Paul W. Ross

What software came with your camera? Also, Picassa is now free from
Google, and this seems helpful to me. The major issue I ran into with
e-mailing was to remember to "shrink" the size of the images to
managable proportions, otherwise the recipient, in addition to getting
some 1 megabyte files, got ones that wouldn't fit on their screen.
That's a start..

Charles Schuler

"BG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Am a newbie to digital and am mostly a point and shoot kind of gal..
> After 2 months decided on Lumix FZ10. Well, am back from vacation and
> find I need a software that is easy and functional to use in order to
> organize and send photos via email. Please advise how I can decide on
> an easy and good choice.. Thanks! mtngal

If you think you might also use some advanced photo editing features,
Photoshop Elements is a good buy.

BG

Thanks, Paul, and Swingman-- appreciate both of your posts. BTW- the
software that came with the camera is hard for me to figure out- even
with the manual. Nothing is numbered and I don't think there is order
to the photos. Of course, I'm easily confused. Your feedback on this
message board is truly helpful to me - so thanks again mtngal

On 5 Aug 2004 12:31:10 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Paul W. Ross) wrote:

>What software came with your camera? Also, Picassa is now free from
>Google, and this seems helpful to me. The major issue I ran into with
>e-mailing was to remember to "shrink" the size of the images to
>managable proportions, otherwise the recipient, in addition to getting
>some 1 megabyte files, got ones that wouldn't fit on their screen.
>That's a start..

Swingman

Hey, you're welcome. Also, I forgot to mention Neat Image
4.0 (free version available at www.neatimage.com ) which is
a program for removing noise (graininess) from pictures.
The interface took me some time to figure out, but it was
worth it as the results are remarkable. There are "before
and after" examples on the web site that demonstrate what
Neat Image can do.

"BG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Paul, and Swingman-- appreciate both of your
> posts. BTW- the
> software that came with the camera is hard for me to
> figure out- even
> with the manual. Nothing is numbered and I don't think
> there is order
> to the photos. Of course, I'm easily confused. Your
> feedback on this
> message board is truly helpful to me - so thanks again
> mtngal

HRosita

>BG (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Well, am back from vacation and
>find I need a software that is easy and functional to use in order to
>organize and send photos via email.

A good start for resizing photos, cropping and minimal editing is the free
Irfanview from www.irfanview.com.

For more editing and for organization, I would recommend the package of
Photoshop Elements 2 and Photoshop Album 2.
there is a lot of help for these products and you can download a trial version
from Adobe.com.
If you decide to buy them, search the internet, there are quite a few rebates
available.

Newegg.com has the bundle for sale for $115 and $0.99 shipping.
Rosita