Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Suggestions for a DVD player that can do multiple tricks (AVI on DVD+RW, region-free, etc.)?

Suggestions for a DVD player that can do multiple tricks (AVI on DVD+RW, region-free, etc.)?

Jeff Rife

Glassman ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> > There isn't a TV that can be hooked up to a standalone DVD player that
> > can't also be hooked up to a PC.

> Jeff try to keep up to speed here. We don't want to pick up our PC or TV
> and get them together to watch a movie.

Neither would I, and so I don't.

> We want to have a separate unit on
> top of our big TV, so we don't need to keep moving them around or running
> 50' cables from one room to the next. The simple solution is to use a
> standalone DIVX player in the other room that doesn't have a PC, but does
> have a nice big TV set.

Or, have a PC by the nice big TV set. That's what I do. The case makes
it look like just another component.

--
Jeff Rife | "Wheel of morality,
| Turn, turn, turn.
| Tell us the lesson
| That we should learn"
| -- Yakko, "Animaniacs"

Patrick

go here

http://www.zonefreedvd.com/codefreed...reedvdfaq.html

dgates wrote:

> There are a few things that I'd like to be able to do with my DVD
> machine, most of which I've been able to do with past machines, but
> never all at once. I don't think I can get all of these in one
> machine, but I thought I'd ask.
>
> 1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
> 2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
> above discs.
> 3. Play all regions.
> 4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
> 5. Record DVDs
> 6. Macrovision removal.
>
> They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
> machine can do all of the above. If not, 1 through 4 should be
> enough.
>

> TIA to anyone who can recommend a model.

Glassman

"Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Glassman ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> > > There isn't a TV that can be hooked up to a standalone DVD player that
> > > can't also be hooked up to a PC.

> > Jeff try to keep up to speed here. We don't want to pick up our PC or

TV
> > and get them together to watch a movie.

> Neither would I, and so I don't.
>
> > We want to have a separate unit

on
> > top of our big TV, so we don't need to keep moving them around or

running
> > 50' cables from one room to the next. The simple solution is to use a
> > standalone DIVX player in the other room that doesn't have a PC, but

does
> > have a nice big TV set.

> Or, have a PC by the nice big TV set. That's what I do. The case makes
> it look like just another component.
>
> --
> Jeff Rife

OK now I see you're trying to save face in this one. Why would you want to
buy another PC, keyboard, mouse, cables. Software, etc etc, to put next to
your big room TV set, when for $49 bucks you could get a stand alone wafer
thin and sleek DIVX player that will play all?

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Glassman

"Leadfoot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> The only drawback to the DVP642 is that there is known problem of a PS
> capacitor blowing aftter 4 months to a year and half of use.
>
> Search DVP642 + Blinking
>
> Then again after mine went out with the blinking light after a year and

half
> and after doing some research I went back and bought another DVP642 at
> CompUSA last week for 65$ w/tax.
>
> For 65$ considering what I know it will do I thought the risk was worth it
> and "maybe" they have it fixed
>
> > Thanks again.

I'm thinking that whatever the problem was, it may well have been solved.
Judging by the fact that it has a brand new firmware, they must be still
working with these units. As has been said here, for $49 I can now play my
millions of downloaded .avi's and .mpg's on my living roon TV set. What
excitement! Anyway by the time this puppy fails in a year or so, who know
what we'll be watching? Can the holo-emitter be far way?

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com
www.MyConeyIslandMemories.com

Jeff Rife

Glassman ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> > Or, have a PC by the nice big TV set. That's what I do. The case makes
> > it look like just another component.

> OK now I see you're trying to save face in this one.

Nope. I'm working with the realities of today.

> Why would you want to
> buy another PC, keyboard, mouse, cables. Software, etc etc, to put next to
> your big room TV set, when for $49 bucks you could get a stand alone wafer
> thin and sleek DIVX player that will play all?

Because you can get a thin and sleek PC that does the job *and* does a
lot more (browse the web from your TV, play games, etc.) for less than $500.
If you don't buy that console game unit you were going to buy, the
incremental cost becomes quite low. Or, when you upgrade some other PC in your house (which *everybody* does
at some point), move the old one to the TV. And, "buying software" is
pretty much a red herring. You can do almost everything you need with
either freeware or by spending a total of less than $100.

The advantage of this is that you get a much better user interface for
everything and generally get better software. You also don't have to do
things like copy your pictures from your camera to a CD or DVD...you just
plug the camera or memory card into the PC.

--
Jeff Rife | "What are you looking at? You're laborers; you
| should be laboring. That's what you get for
| not having an education."
| -- Professor Hathaway, "Real Genius"

Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 14 May 2006 10:01:18 -0700, dgates <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:

>There are a few things that I'd like to be able to do with my DVD
>machine, most of which I've been able to do with past machines, but
>never all at once. I don't think I can get all of these in one
>machine, but I thought I'd ask.
>
>1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
>2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
>above discs.
>3. Play all regions.
>4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
>5. Record DVDs
>6. Macrovision removal.
>
>They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
>machine can do all of the above. If not, 1 through 4 should be
>enough.
>

>TIA to anyone who can recommend a model.

Your computer works just fine for all that crap.

If you want to VIEW REAL DVDs on an HDTV monitor...

The HD-XA1.

Use your computer for all that hacked and whacked crap.

Invest your money in a real player for real viewing.

Trick that.

Roy L. Fuchs

On 14 May 2006 18:32:14 -0700, "Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>dgates wrote:
>> There are a few things that I'd like to be able to do with my DVD
>> machine, most of which I've been able to do with past machines, but
>> never all at once. I don't think I can get all of these in one
>> machine, but I thought I'd ask.
>>
>> 1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
>> 2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
>> above discs.
>> 3. Play all regions.
>> 4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
>> 5. Record DVDs
>> 6. Macrovision removal.
>>
>> They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
>> machine can do all of the above. If not, 1 through 4 should be
>> enough.
>>

>> TIA to anyone who can recommend a model.

>Oppo.
>
>http://oppodigital.com/
>
>-goro-

Faroudja... nice stuff.

Up conversion... it's the real thing... Coke is... That's the way
it should be... Coca Cola...

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dgates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There are a few things that I'd like to be able to do with my DVD
>machine, most of which I've been able to do with past machines, but
>never all at once. I don't think I can get all of these in one
>machine, but I thought I'd ask.
>
>1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
>2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
>above discs.
>3. Play all regions.
>4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
>5. Record DVDs
>6. Macrovision removal.
>
>They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
>machine can do all of the above. If not, 1 through 4 should be
>enough.
>

>TIA to anyone who can recommend a model.

Ignoring #5 and #6, have a look at the 2006 Philips models that use the
MediaTek chipset. The DVP5490 can be made region free with a quick remote
hack, and by all acounts has significantly better image quality than the
aging DVP642. It also supports more DIVX/XVID encoding schemes and
natively supports subtitles.

If you don't need HDMI, the DVP5140 has similar features for $30 or so
less.

Bill

> Ignoring #5 and #6, have a look at the 2006 Philips models that use the
> MediaTek chipset. The DVP5490 can be made region free with a quick remote
> hack, and by all acounts has significantly better image quality than the
> aging DVP642. It also supports more DIVX/XVID encoding schemes and
> natively supports subtitles.
>
> If you don't need HDMI, the DVP5140 has similar features for $30 or so
> less.

If S-Video is still important to you, check the units before buying. I
don't know the model number, but Wal-Mart recently began stocking a new
Philips model that I was seriously thinking of buying until checking the
rear of the unit. There was no S-Video connector, only composite and
component.

Mike S.

In article <_Y%lg.93045$IZ2.43069@dukeread07>, Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Ignoring #5 and #6, have a look at the 2006 Philips models that use the
>> MediaTek chipset. The DVP5490 can be made region free with a quick remote
>> hack, and by all acounts has significantly better image quality than the
>> aging DVP642. It also supports more DIVX/XVID encoding schemes and
>> natively supports subtitles.
>>
>> If you don't need HDMI, the DVP5140 has similar features for $30 or so
>> less.

>If S-Video is still important to you, check the units before buying. I
>don't know the model number, but Wal-Mart recently began stocking a new
>Philips model that I was seriously thinking of buying until checking the
>rear of the unit. There was no S-Video connector, only composite and
>component.

Yep. These units have no S-video, and no optical digital output (only
coaxal).