Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Port 5060

Reply
Thread Tools

Port 5060

 
 
Kev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2006
Hi All,

I just got my shiney new Grandstream GXP2000 hooked up and working with voip.co.uk
and I have to say that it's such an huge improvement over Skype.

I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network (Draytek
Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal ip address
of the handset? I appear to be able to make and receive incoming calls without
doing so.

Also what is the order of preference/quality with regard to codecs. The Grandstream
GXP2000 defaults to G.711u2 according to it's onscreen setup, the Account
1 html page "Preferred Vocoder" setting has an order of:

PCMU
PCMA
G.723.1
G.729A/B
GSM
PCMU
PCMU
PCMU

and the manual suggests that it negotiates the codec dynamically. Should
I experiment or leave well alone?

Cheers
Ke


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2006
Kev wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just got my shiney new Grandstream GXP2000 hooked up and working with
> voip.co.uk and I have to say that it's such an huge improvement over Skype.
>
> I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network
> (Draytek Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal
> ip address of the handset? I appear to be able to make and receive
> incoming calls without doing so.



I dont have any ports forwarded and dont experience any issues

The reason it all works fine is due to the NAT/STUN server configued in
the setup
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2006
On Sat, 13 May 2006 18:40:39 +0000 (UTC), Kev
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I just got my shiney new Grandstream GXP2000 hooked up and working with voip.co.uk
>and I have to say that it's such an huge improvement over Skype.
>
>I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network (Draytek
>Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal ip address
>of the handset?

That would be the usual thing to do. Normally you would need to
forward other ports too. I have found that these vary according to the
provider.
>I appear to be able to make and receive incoming calls without
>doing so.

Then if it ain't broke no need to fix it
Perhaps you are using a stun server, or DMZ on your router?
>
>Also what is the order of preference/quality with regard to codecs. The Grandstream
>GXP2000 defaults to G.711u2 according to it's onscreen setup, the Account
>1 html page "Preferred Vocoder" setting has an order of:

G711 is, in comparison, a fairly wide band one. I guess that if you
are not bothered too much about download then that wil be OK. I was
advised once to stick to one particular codec for cable but I find
that G711, as the prime choice, with others left open for dynamic
selection works perfectly well.
>
>PCMU
>PCMA
>G.723.1
>G.729A/B
>GSM
>PCMU
>PCMU
>PCMU



Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2006
Hello Brian,

>> I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network
>> (Draytek Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the
>> internal ip address of the handset?
>>

> That would be the usual thing to do. Normally you would need to
> forward other ports too. I have found that these vary according to the
> provider.


> Then if it ain't broke no need to fix it
> Perhaps you are using a stun server, or DMZ on your router?


I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short period
after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it stops doing so
and the call goes to voip voicemail.

I'm guessing that just after the outgoing call the SIP session(?) must hang
around for just long enough to accept the inbound call and once it's torn
down the remote SIP server(?) can no longer see the handset and forwards
the call to voicemail?

I don't have a STUN server or a DMZ, it's just a vanilla NAT network.

Why would more than just 5060 need to be forwarded?



Cheers
Kevi


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2006
Hello Kev,

> Hello Brian,
>
>>> I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed
>>> network (Draytek Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to
>>> the internal ip address of the handset?
>>>

>> That would be the usual thing to do. Normally you would need to
>> forward other ports too. I have found that these vary according to
>> the provider.
>>
>> Then if it ain't broke no need to fix it
>> Perhaps you are using a stun server, or DMZ on your router?

> I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short
> period after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it stops
> doing so and the call goes to voip voicemail.
>
> I'm guessing that just after the outgoing call the SIP session(?) must
> hang around for just long enough to accept the inbound call and once
> it's torn down the remote SIP server(?) can no longer see the handset
> and forwards the call to voicemail?
>
> I don't have a STUN server or a DMZ, it's just a vanilla NAT network.
>
> Why would more than just 5060 need to be forwarded?
>
> Cheers
> Kevin


I just forwarded 5060 UDP & TCP to the handset but still no incoming calls,
just the same behaviour as previously where if an outgoing call has been
recently made, I can receive incoming calls for ~2mins afterwards then they
hit voicemail.

This is a bit of a new technology for me so some of the pieces haven't all
fallen into place in my head yet.

Cheers
Ke


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Cupis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2006
Kev wrote:
> Hello Kev,
>
>> Hello Brian,
>>
>>>> I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed
>>>> network (Draytek Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to
>>>> the internal ip address of the handset?
>>>>
>>> That would be the usual thing to do. Normally you would need to
>>> forward other ports too. I have found that these vary according to
>>> the provider.
>>>
>>> Then if it ain't broke no need to fix it
>>> Perhaps you are using a stun server, or DMZ on your router?

>> I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short
>> period after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it stops
>> doing so and the call goes to voip voicemail.
>>
>> I'm guessing that just after the outgoing call the SIP session(?) must
>> hang around for just long enough to accept the inbound call and once
>> it's torn down the remote SIP server(?) can no longer see the handset
>> and forwards the call to voicemail?
>>
>> I don't have a STUN server or a DMZ, it's just a vanilla NAT network.
>>
>> Why would more than just 5060 need to be forwarded?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Kevin

>
> I just forwarded 5060 UDP & TCP to the handset but still no incoming
> calls, just the same behaviour as previously where if an outgoing call
> has been recently made, I can receive incoming calls for ~2mins
> afterwards then they hit voicemail.
>
> This is a bit of a new technology for me so some of the pieces haven't
> all fallen into place in my head yet.


I don't know for sure if it is related, but I've found that the newer GS
firmwares are far more reliable than the shipped ones, for some of their
products - might be worth checking to see if you have the latest
stable/production firmware.
 
Reply With Quote
 
hairydog@despammed.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2006
On Sat, 13 May 2006 18:40:39 +0000 (UTC), Kev
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network (Draytek
>Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal ip address
>of the handset? I appear to be able to make and receive incoming calls without
>doing so.


Port 5060 is the one that SIP uses to set up the call. The RTP port
that carries the actual speech is different.

Yours works without port forwarding either because the Vigor is doing
it automatically (it is a uPNP aware router) or because you have a
STUN server specified. Personally, I'd forward the port manually as
well.

IME, Vigor uPNP may be working fine today, but by tomorrow afternoon
it may have stopped working. Originally, I thought Sipgate was
unreliable because of this. Once I'd forwarded the ports, it became
rock-solid.
 
Reply With Quote
 
hairydog@despammed.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2006
On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:36:33 +0000 (UTC), Kev
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short period
>after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it stops doing so
>and the call goes to voip voicemail.


That's the Vigor's uPNP failing. Forward port 5060 manually.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2006
Hello http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),

> On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:36:33 +0000 (UTC), Kev
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short
>> period after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it
>> stops doing so and the call goes to voip voicemail.
>>

> That's the Vigor's uPNP failing. Forward port 5060 manually.
>


Port 5060 is forwarded manually. I have uPNP turned off on the router, it's
something I've never turned on, ever.



Ke


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2006
Hello Kev,

> Hello (E-Mail Removed),
>
>> On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:36:33 +0000 (UTC), Kev
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short
>>> period after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it
>>> stops doing so and the call goes to voip voicemail.
>>>

>> That's the Vigor's uPNP failing. Forward port 5060 manually.
>>

> Port 5060 is forwarded manually. I have uPNP turned off on the router,
> it's something I've never turned on, ever.
>
> Kev
>



Turning on NAT traversal (STUN) for the voip account seemed to do the trick.
I only tried this after signing up with sipgate and reading through their
GXP2000 specific help.

Ke


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Inbound UDP port 5060 blocked Gordon Henderson UK VOIP 1 02-15-2009 03:30 PM
port 5060 (SIP) on PIX Josef G. Cisco 0 02-01-2004 01:07 PM
Olympus 5060 online resource Alfred Molon Digital Photography 6 11-28-2003 12:14 AM
New Olympus 5060 Announced Tink Digital Photography 20 10-24-2003 05:43 AM
Olympus C-750 or C-5050 or C-5060? Daniel Digital Photography 17 10-06-2003 10:35 PM



Advertisments