Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > gov't regulation of VOiP

gov't regulation of VOiP

Rick Merrill

Noname wrote:
> "Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Noname wrote:
>>
>>>"Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>>I checked out the FCC website and they do not appear to regulate VOiP.
>>>
>>>I also googled the subject and found an article that indicates there is

> no
>
>>>regulation.
>>>
>>>Is there regulation of VOiP providers, and if so by what agency?
>>>

>>There is not. (wiretap is a separate issue)
>>
>>Do you think there should be regulation? Not enough competition?-)

> I have a problem with one of the VOiP service providers.
> The company will not acknowledge my account cancellation. They continue to
> bill my credit card. I have registered a dispute with the credit card
> company.

Ok, I had that same thing happen to me! Here is what I did: I called
the NEW company and THEY created a conference call to the OLD company
and between the three of us we straightened it out! This way there is
a third party witness and we can assure one another that the facts are
the facts. BEWARE! The old company might just cancel your NUMBER as
well as your account! That is a really mean thing to have happen.

Rick Merrill

William P.N. Smith wrote:

> "Bill Kearney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>Ah yes, you're right. CallVantage has full E911 - if you power off your
>>>ATA you then get an automated call asking you to verify that your ATA
>>>has NOT moved!

>>Uh, if your ATA is turned off then where does the call go?

> I'd imagine it calls you when you power it back up.

eggzatally

Ivor Jones

"Bill Kearney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t
> > Ah yes, you're right. CallVantage has full E911 - if
> > you power off your ATA you then get an automated call
> > asking you to verify that your ATA has NOT moved!

> Uh, if your ATA is turned off then where does the call go?

Voicemail..?

Ivor

Rick Merrill

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Bill Kearney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t
>
>>>Ah yes, you're right. CallVantage has full E911 - if
>>>you power off your ATA you then get an automated call
>>>asking you to verify that your ATA has NOT moved!

>>Uh, if your ATA is turned off then where does the call go?

> Voicemail..?
>
> Ivor

Nope, all normal calls DO go to voicemail, but that call from ATT
only goes to the real phone, whereever it may be! It's up to the
user to certify that the ATA is in the location where they setup
the emergency / 911 so that Expanded 911 works ok.