Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > gov't regulation of VOiP

gov't regulation of VOiP

Noname

What gov't agencies regulate VOiP in the USA?

Jonathan Roberts

FCC as far as I know

newst19g.51227$k%3.28704@dukeread12...

"Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> FCC as far as I know
>
> "Noname" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newst19g.51227$k%3.28704@dukeread12...
> > What gov't agencies regulate VOiP in the USA?

I checked out the FCC website and they do not appear to regulate VOiP.

I also googled the subject and found an article that indicates there is no
regulation.

Is there regulation of VOiP providers, and if so by what agency?

Rick Merrill

Noname wrote:
> "Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>FCC as far as I know
>>
>>"Noname" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>newst19g.51227$k%3.28704@dukeread12...
>>
>>>What gov't agencies regulate VOiP in the USA?
>>>

> I checked out the FCC website and they do not appear to regulate VOiP.
>
> I also googled the subject and found an article that indicates there is no
> regulation.
>
> Is there regulation of VOiP providers, and if so by what agency?

There is not. (wiretap is a separate issue)

Do you think there should be regulation? Not enough competition?-)

William P.N. Smith

"Noname" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I checked out the FCC website and they do not appear to regulate VOiP.

search for Vonage at the FCC WWWebsite, you'll see that the FCC is the
one forcing them into some semblance of compliance with E911, for
instance.

Rick Merrill

William P.N. Smith wrote:

> "Noname" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I checked out the FCC website and they do not appear to regulate VOiP.

> search for Vonage at the FCC WWWebsite, you'll see that the FCC is the
> one forcing them into some semblance of compliance with E911, for
> instance.

Ah yes, you're right. CallVantage has full E911 - if you power off your
ATA you then get an automated call asking you to verify that your ATA
has NOT moved!

Noname

"Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Noname wrote:
> > "Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> >>FCC as far as I know
> >>
> >>"Noname" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>newst19g.51227$k%3.28704@dukeread12...

> > I checked out the FCC website and they do not appear to regulate VOiP.
> >
> > I also googled the subject and found an article that indicates there is

no
> > regulation.
> >
> > Is there regulation of VOiP providers, and if so by what agency?
> >

> There is not. (wiretap is a separate issue)
>
> Do you think there should be regulation? Not enough competition?-)

I have a problem with one of the VOiP service providers.
The company will not acknowledge my account cancellation. They continue to
bill my credit card. I have registered a dispute with the credit card
company.

My intent was to find a government agency that could persuade the VOiP
provider to acknowledge my cancellation.

As to government regulation, wiretapping ... my purpose is not to play the
political game - I have my beliefs but that is separate from this problem.

Bill Kearney

> Ah yes, you're right. CallVantage has full E911 - if you power off your
> ATA you then get an automated call asking you to verify that your ATA
> has NOT moved!

Uh, if your ATA is turned off then where does the call go?

William P.N. Smith

"Noname" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a problem with one of the VOiP service providers.
>The company will not acknowledge my account cancellation. They continue to
>bill my credit card. I have registered a dispute with the credit card
>company.

That should be all you need to do, your credit card company will
reverse the charges if you dispute them in writing, and have done all
the right things to cancel your account.

The FCC regulates the technical details of VOIP, not the financial
(mis)dealings of the companies involved.

William P.N. Smith

"Bill Kearney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Ah yes, you're right. CallVantage has full E911 - if you power off your
>> ATA you then get an automated call asking you to verify that your ATA
>> has NOT moved!

>Uh, if your ATA is turned off then where does the call go?

I'd imagine it calls you when you power it back up.