Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > New Website - critique/feedback requested

New Website - critique/feedback requested

Richard Thoms

Hello web-gurus,

Please checkout our new website and give us some feedback.

http://www.TopServicePros.com

The premise is a website to connect homeowners to local service
professionals. Service pros can subscribe to build a personalized
custom web listing.

The /cart/ area is not fully functional yet but everything else should
be navigable. Known broken links for "servicepro: how it works" and
"media center"

Since there are no real service pros listed yet, the search won't find
much but if you Search for "Housekeeping/Maid" with zipcode 35801 you'll
see some dummy hits. Also you can go directly to a sample listing at
http://www.TopServicePros.com/1

I'm interested to hear your comments especially about navigation
(easy/confusing) and content (too much/too little).

Thanks in advance.

-Richard

P.S. http://www.TopServicePros.com will take you to an "under
development" landing page. Just click the "enter and look around" link
(or http://www.TopServicePros.com/index.php) to get inside.

Richard Thoms
President - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Connecting Homeowners and Local Home Service Professionals
Homeowners, Find a Top Service Pro --> http://www.TopServicePros.com
Service Pros, Get Listed on the Web -> http://www.TopServicePros.com

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Richard Thoms
<(E-Mail Removed)> vouchsafed:

> Hello web-gurus,
>
> Please checkout our new website and give us some feedback.
>
> http://www.TopServicePros.com

I like the background but the guy with the big, yellow tongue doesn't look
very professional.

Why do I get a horizontal scrollbar around 1024px when the content
displayed is only about 800px?

If the box _is_ 800 px wide, it should be a bit smaller for 800px screens
or, better yet, the design should be fluid.

You're using a fixed font.

Increasing the font-size in Firefox upsets the layout dramatically.

Summation: Attractive looking but inferior in actual design.

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.

Jim Moe

Richard Thoms wrote:

> Please checkout our new website and give us some feedback.
> http://www.TopServicePros.com
>
> The premise is a website to connect homeowners to local service
> professionals. Service pros can subscribe to build a personalized
> custom web listing.

Excellent concept.
Since this is a newsgroup about critiquing HTML, I'll stick to that.

- Passes both HTML and CSS validation. Yay!

- Uses a Transitional DTD. Should be Strict.
- Ancient tables-abused-for-layout style.
- Unreadable small font size: 12px, 75% of my preferred size.
- Unreadable small font size is in px units. Not resizeable by IE.

- The menu item borders do not line up with the curved images.
- Menu dropdowns do not work when Javascript is disabled. The main items
look like links but are not.

The layout is rather brittle. Zoom the font size and see what happens
(you'll have to use Firefox).

See
<http://www.pretletters.net/_test/common_mistakes_with_html4-01-strict_pages.html>.

(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Richard Thoms
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:99A8g.38452$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello web-gurus,
>
> Please checkout our new website and give us some feedback.
>
> http://www.TopServicePros.com
>
> The premise is a website to connect homeowners to local service
> professionals. Service pros can subscribe to build a personalized
> custom web listing.

Great idea. I like the picture of the person having a break with his
sandwich and thermos. He looks so typical, I'll bet if he turned
around, his butt crack would show.

> The /cart/ area is not fully functional yet but everything else should
> be navigable. Known broken links for "servicepro: how it works" and
> "media center"
>
> Since there are no real service pros listed yet, the search won't find
> much but if you Search for "Housekeeping/Maid" with zipcode 35801
> you'll see some dummy hits. Also you can go directly to a sample
> listing at http://www.TopServicePros.com/1
>
> I'm interested to hear your comments especially about navigation
> (easy/confusing) and content (too much/too little).

Never use javascript for anything that is really important, like
navigation. With javascript disabled, the top menu does not work at all
<a class="item1" href="javascript:void(0)">About Us</a>. You can still
have a horizontal dropdown menu without javascript using CSS. Google
for suckerfish css. Users without CSS will see a regular list, users
with CSS will see the dropdown menu - and all users will have access to
the information.

You are also using some deprecated elements, I assume hence the
Transitional DTD. Get rid of them, use CSS instead and upgrade to
Strict.

You're using pixels for font sizing. Not good. Pixels cannot be
resized in certain browsers (IE for example), and the little old lady
who needs a plumber might not be able to see, and the guy who has bad
eyesight who wants to list his services might not be able to see "List
my Company!"

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Crazy Guy

Looks good to me Richard

www.ART-i-SAN.net

Barbara de Zoete

On Thu, 11 May 2006 09:03:41 +0200, Crazy Guy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Looks good to me Richard
>
> www.ART-i-SAN.net

Having close to two hundred errors in your markup of this thing you think
is a page worth publishing, I don't think you have a clue as to what
you're talking about. Your comment is worthless and looks much like a
childish attempt to get your URL posted.

<URL:http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.art-i-san.net%2F&charset=iso-8859-1&doctype=HTML+4.01+Strict>

Learn about posting properly:
<URL:http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>
<URL:http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>
<URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block>

And in the future, before commenting on other peoples websites, you better
learn a thing or two about markup and styles. As it is now, it is of no
use at all to anyone.

--
______PretLetters:
| weblog | http://www.pretletters.net/weblog/weblog.html |

Charles Sweeney

Richard Thoms wrote

> http://www.TopServicePros.com

Pretty good. Good concept. Nice logo. Clean, clear and quick. For me,
the drop down menus are a pain.

--
Charles Sweeney
http://CharlesSweeney.com

Charles Sweeney

Barbara de Zoete wrote

> On Thu, 11 May 2006 09:03:41 +0200, Crazy Guy
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Looks good to me Richard
>>
>> www.ART-i-SAN.net

> Having close to two hundred errors in your markup of this thing you
> think is a page worth publishing, I don't think you have a clue as to
> what you're talking about. Your comment is worthless and looks much
> like a childish attempt to get your URL posted.
>
> <URL:http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...art-i-san.net%

2
> F&charset=iso-8859-1&doctype=HTML+4.01+Strict>
>
> Learn about posting properly:
> <URL:http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>
> <URL:http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>
> <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block>
>
> And in the future, before commenting on other peoples websites, you
> better learn a thing or two about markup and styles. As it is now, it
> is of no use at all to anyone.

I'm glad blokes don't get the menopause.

--
Charles Sweeney
http://CharlesSweeney.com

Jerry Stuckle

Charles Sweeney wrote:

> I'm glad blokes don't get the menopause.

Charles, I don't know which is worse. Going through menopause, or living with
someone who's going through it.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Michael Laplante

"Richard Thoms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:99A8g.38452$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello web-gurus,
>
> Please checkout our new website and give us some feedback.

The "Join Now" page:
The main content is higher than your other pages and partially overlays the
top banner, about half the height of your horizontal menu.

Using Firefox 1.5.