Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Failed to install java 1.5 on Suse....ahhh

Failed to install java 1.5 on Suse....ahhh

timasmith@hotmail.com

I download jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.rpm or at leat the .bin version and
installed it under my user account on Suse linux 10.

However I still *cant* get rid of the references of JAVA_HOME to the
1.4 version that shipped with Suse.

I really want a smooth replacement of the 1.4 distribution with 1.5 and
cant find Java 1.5 on YAST to install it.

Further now if I log on as root and do rpm -i
jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.rpm it tells me it is already installed.

All very frustrating.

steve

On Sat, 13 May 2006 01:09:48 +0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>):

> I download jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.rpm or at leat the .bin version and
> installed it under my user account on Suse linux 10.
>
> However I still *cant* get rid of the references of JAVA_HOME to the
> 1.4 version that shipped with Suse.
>
> I really want a smooth replacement of the 1.4 distribution with 1.5 and
> cant find Java 1.5 on YAST to install it.
>
> Further now if I log on as root and do rpm -i
> jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.rpm it tells me it is already installed.
>
> All very frustrating.

you need:

java-1_5_0-sun-1.5.0_06-1.1.i586.rpm
java-1_5_0-sun-plugin-1.5.0_06-1.1.i586.rpm

and any other RPM that you currently nave on your system.

which is available on the suse ftp site , inside the UPDATE directory.

I just finished an update , and made the same mistake you did (went to the
sun site), however i now have the above running on my 9.3

Steve

Jon Martin Solaas

steve wrote:

> On Sat, 13 May 2006 01:09:48 +0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote
> (in article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>):
>
>> I download jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.rpm or at leat the .bin version and
>> installed it under my user account on Suse linux 10.
>>
>> However I still *cant* get rid of the references of JAVA_HOME to the
>> 1.4 version that shipped with Suse.
>>
>> I really want a smooth replacement of the 1.4 distribution with 1.5 and
>> cant find Java 1.5 on YAST to install it.
>>
>> Further now if I log on as root and do rpm -i
>> jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.rpm it tells me it is already installed.
>>
>> All very frustrating.
>>

> you need:
>

> java-1_5_0-sun-1.5.0_06-1.1.i586.rpm
> java-1_5_0-sun-plugin-1.5.0_06-1.1.i586.rpm
>
> and any other RPM that you currently nave on your system.
>

> which is available on the suse ftp site , inside the UPDATE directory.
>
> I just finished an update , and made the same mistake you did (went to the
> sun site), however i now have the above running on my 9.3
>
> Steve

Well, there actually are a few pros using the plain stuff directly from Sun
and other java tools vendors: you get full control yourself, and all the
java-stuff can survive a re-installation as long as you don't have to
format the partition where it is installed, and you can share it between
different distributions, and even os'es, if need be. SuSE has done a lot to
make java-installation easy, so this is not the same as saying it is always
better not to use rpms, just that there are some advantages not doing it.

--
Jon Martin Solaas