Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Aironet 1300 range as an access point

Aironet 1300 range as an access point

Curt

Hi all,
I'm a new comer to cisco products and I'm experimenting with an Aironet
1300 bridge/AP. I currently have a default configuration and I've used the
web based interface to setup a WEP 128 encrypted access point. I get fine
results with my 802.11b laptop when I'm in the same room as the AP, however,
if I take my laptop into the back yard the signal strenght from the AP gets
weak very quickly and drops out completely by the time I reach my driveway
(about 30 feet from the AP). The AP is in my stick built home so there's 2
or 3 walls between me and the AP, but it seems like the Aironet 1300 should
have coverage at least as good as a $50 Linksys router (which happens to
work a good 200 feet from my home). I'm totally new to the cisco world so
no suggestion is too obvious. Thanks for any suggestions.

BG

try changing channels
"Curt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> I'm a new comer to cisco products and I'm experimenting with an Aironet
> 1300 bridge/AP. I currently have a default configuration and I've used
> the web based interface to setup a WEP 128 encrypted access point. I get
> fine results with my 802.11b laptop when I'm in the same room as the AP,
> however, if I take my laptop into the back yard the signal strenght from
> the AP gets weak very quickly and drops out completely by the time I reach
> my driveway (about 30 feet from the AP). The AP is in my stick built home
> so there's 2 or 3 walls between me and the AP, but it seems like the
> Aironet 1300 should have coverage at least as good as a $50 Linksys router
> (which happens to work a good 200 feet from my home). I'm totally new to
> the cisco world so no suggestion is too obvious. Thanks for any
> suggestions.

Curt

That helps a little. I can get an extra 25 feet or so before it drops off
so I can at least get around my yard. Still, the coverage isn't what I
would expect from a $500 piece of equipment. I can't help but think I must
have something misconfigured. I'm testing this out for a beach-side condo
installation (lots of concrete and glass), so if the range is this short in
my stick built home, I think it's safe to assume it will be worse in the
condo. Thanks for your help and time.

"BG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e42lg9$8pg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> try changing channels
> "Curt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all,
>> I'm a new comer to cisco products and I'm experimenting with an Aironet
>> 1300 bridge/AP. I currently have a default configuration and I've used
>> the web based interface to setup a WEP 128 encrypted access point. I get
>> fine results with my 802.11b laptop when I'm in the same room as the AP,
>> however, if I take my laptop into the back yard the signal strenght from
>> the AP gets weak very quickly and drops out completely by the time I
>> reach my driveway (about 30 feet from the AP). The AP is in my stick
>> built home so there's 2 or 3 walls between me and the AP, but it seems
>> like the Aironet 1300 should have coverage at least as good as a $50
>> Linksys router (which happens to work a good 200 feet from my home). I'm
>> totally new to the cisco world so no suggestion is too obvious. Thanks
>> for any suggestions.

BG

post your config, perhaps you have only the highest data rates allowed?

barry

"BG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e42lg9$8pg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> try changing channels
> "Curt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all,
>> I'm a new comer to cisco products and I'm experimenting with an Aironet
>> 1300 bridge/AP. I currently have a default configuration and I've used
>> the web based interface to setup a WEP 128 encrypted access point. I get
>> fine results with my 802.11b laptop when I'm in the same room as the AP,
>> however, if I take my laptop into the back yard the signal strenght from
>> the AP gets weak very quickly and drops out completely by the time I
>> reach my driveway (about 30 feet from the AP). The AP is in my stick
>> built home so there's 2 or 3 walls between me and the AP, but it seems
>> like the Aironet 1300 should have coverage at least as good as a $50
>> Linksys router (which happens to work a good 200 feet from my home). I'm
>> totally new to the cisco world so no suggestion is too obvious. Thanks
>> for any suggestions.

Curt

BG, I'm not sure how to obtain the configuration, however the CLI command
"show configuration" sounded promising so here goes. If that not the right
command, let me know what is and I'll gladly post the results.

ap#show configuration
Using 1569 out of 32768 bytes
!
version 12.3
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
service password-encryption
!
hostname ap
!
enable secret 5 $1$t.hj$.s4dDYrSJX7k20tYXPEvf/
!
username Cisco password 7 096F471A1A0A
ip subnet-zero
!
!
no aaa new-model
!
dot11 ssid CiscoAP1
authentication open
infrastructure-ssid optional
!
!
!
!
bridge irb
!
!
interface Dot11Radio0
no ip address
no ip route-cache
!
encryption key 1 size 128bit 7 16B9CE23F2A7BF3A6FD10A3EC0C5 transmit-key
encryption mode wep mandatory
!
ssid CiscoAP1
!
short-slot-time
cca 75
concatenation
speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0
48.0
54.0
station-role non-root wireless-clients
infrastructure-client
bridge-group 1
bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
!
interface FastEthernet0
no ip address
no ip route-cache
bridge-group 1
bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
!
interface BVI1
ip address dhcp client-id FastEthernet0
no ip route-cache
!
ip http server
no ip http secure-server
ip http help-path
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779...onfig/help/eag

ip radius source-interface BVI1
!
logging snmp-trap emergencies
logging snmp-trap alerts
logging snmp-trap critical
logging snmp-trap errors
logging snmp-trap warnings
!
control-plane
!
bridge 1 route ip
!
!
!
line con 0
transport preferred all
transport output all
line vty 0 4
login local
transport preferred all
transport input all
transport output all
line vty 5 15
login
transport preferred all
transport input all
transport output all
!
end

"BG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e49us5$mcn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> post your config, perhaps you have only the highest data rates allowed?
>
> barry
>

> "BG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e42lg9$8pg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> try changing channels
>> "Curt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi all,
>>> I'm a new comer to cisco products and I'm experimenting with an Aironet
>>> 1300 bridge/AP. I currently have a default configuration and I've used
>>> the web based interface to setup a WEP 128 encrypted access point. I
>>> get fine results with my 802.11b laptop when I'm in the same room as the
>>> AP, however, if I take my laptop into the back yard the signal strenght
>>> from the AP gets weak very quickly and drops out completely by the time
>>> I reach my driveway (about 30 feet from the AP). The AP is in my stick
>>> built home so there's 2 or 3 walls between me and the AP, but it seems
>>> like the Aironet 1300 should have coverage at least as good as a $50
>>> Linksys router (which happens to work a good 200 feet from my home).
>>> I'm totally new to the cisco world so no suggestion is too obvious.
>>> Thanks for any suggestions.

Cisco 1300 series wireless access point/bridge Vs Linksys WAP54GPE Access Point Anyone know the basic pros & cons? Nate Goulet Cisco 9 12-07-2007 07:45 PM
Aironet 1300 Radio Interface Goes Down When Non-Root z-Wonton Cisco 0 09-21-2005 03:16 PM
1300 monografia 1300 monografia XML 0 04-26-2005 05:39 AM
CISCO Aironet 1300 WLAN Bridges to Link 2 LAN SEgments transparently... Axel Werner Cisco 0 03-07-2005 08:49 AM
Aironet 1200 and Aironet 1300 compatible? Andre Paetzold Cisco 2 12-09-2004 07:48 AM

Advertisments