Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Dual Cisco 2501 router setup

Dual Cisco 2501 router setup

darkspleen@gmail.com

I'm attempting to setup two Cisco 2501 routers to
study for the CCNA. Since I'm a bit new to Cisco
equipment, could someone give me a general outline
on how to setup the 2 2501s to route traffic between
2 networks?

I've done this numerous times with FreeBSD or Linux
boxes, but I'm somewhat lost on the Cisco 2501s.
So far, I've configured and brought up Ethernet0 on both
routers. One is configured as 192.168.1.1/24 while the
other interface is configured at 172.16.255.1/16. Each
interface is connected to a Cisco 1924 switch, each
switch is isolated by itself. Finally I have a DCE->DTE
cable running from Serial0 of router 1 to Serial0 of
router 2. Is there anything else I should do? I've got
to be missing something simple...

The following is a rough idea of my setup:

ST = straight through cable

Computer 1 <ST> Cisco 1924 <ST> Cisco 2501 <DCE/DTE> Cisco 2501
<ST> Cisco 1924 <ST> Computer 2

Thanks for the help.

Doug McIntyre

>I'm attempting to setup two Cisco 2501 routers to
>study for the CCNA. Since I'm a bit new to Cisco
>equipment, could someone give me a general outline
>on how to setup the 2 2501s to route traffic between
>2 networks?

>I've done this numerous times with FreeBSD or Linux
>boxes, but I'm somewhat lost on the Cisco 2501s.
>So far, I've configured and brought up Ethernet0 on both
>routers. One is configured as 192.168.1.1/24 while the
>other interface is configured at 172.16.255.1/16. Each
>interface is connected to a Cisco 1924 switch, each
>switch is isolated by itself. Finally I have a DCE->DTE
>cable running from Serial0 of router 1 to Serial0 of
>router 2. Is there anything else I should do? I've got
>to be missing something simple...

Routers generally have an IP address for each interface, and route
layer-3 traffic from interface to interface. Ethernet interfaces
aren't the only ones that you have IP addresses on. Some routers have
hundreds of real or virtual interfaces, each with their own IP address
in different networks.

In general (without doing things like "ip unnumbered" you would assign
an additional network to s0 on the first 2501, and another IP in that
network to s0 on the 2nd 2501.

Routers don't bridge traffic (unless you setup bridging), they route,
so you need to tell routers which interface to route through, and
create the routing table to handle all traffic.

So you would setup a static route for 172.16.255.1/16 to route down
out the serial interface (either by an IP gateway route, or out the
interface itself), and likewise on the other 2501.

darkspleen@gmail.com

Thanks for the quick response. So would the following
work fine provided I setup the correct routes after setting
up the interfaces correctly?

Switch 1 - Ethernet 1 - 192.168.100.1
Switch 1 - Serial 0 - 192.168.0.1
Switch 2 - Serial 0 - 192.168.0.2
Switch 2 - Ethernet 1 - 172.16.255.1

Doug McIntyre

>Thanks for the quick response. So would the following
>work fine provided I setup the correct routes after setting
>up the interfaces correctly?

>Switch 1 - Ethernet 1 - 192.168.100.1
>Switch 1 - Serial 0 - 192.168.0.1
>Switch 2 - Serial 0 - 192.168.0.2
>Switch 2 - Ethernet 1 - 172.16.255.1

Sure, that sounds good (although I don't know what context a "switch"
would be for a serial interface).