Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > OT: Spy Falcon

OT: Spy Falcon

LnkWizard

> > It's kinda fun to zap spyware, but when they don't zap I get
> > PO'ed.

> Ah, but think of the satisfaction when you finally root the fusker

out<BEG>

I looked over the sysinternals tool and there are two that look to
be quite useful. BTW, they are free. Autoruns and ProcessExplorer
have loads of info that may help you.

Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5

http://www.mcngp.com

kpg

As Cerebrus once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

> How did you check the Startup items ? Did you check the following two
> keys in the registry :
>
> - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
>
> - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

Yes.

> If the program is running in the System tray, and sending notification
> messages from there, it should show up in the process list.

Yes, is should, but processes can be hidden or disguised.

kpg

Spy Falcon is history!

Well this is interesting (to me).

After all the tools I tried, the one that worked was
AdAware. I had used AdAware a long time ago until
I (for some reason) decided that HiJackThis, ToolbarCop
and SbyBot S&D were the only suite of tools I needed.

Then in my enduring love and respect for Microsoft, when
Windows Defender (Beta) came out I saw history repeating
itself (as it has so many times in the past when MS
took over the 3rd party utility market) and I said to myself,
self, the MS tool is the way to go, who better to look for
malicious software on Windows than the author of Windows
itself? Now I feel stupid.

Sbybot S&D and AdAware have always found different infections,
which I always found curious. Sure there will be differences,
but what we need is a centralized repository of malware, and
I though MS was heading there.

Death from Above

I thought AdAware was spyware itself. It cleans off all the competing
spy/ad ware but leaves its own stuff.

<quick google search>

Yeah, they were sued by the New York attorney general. They settled a few
months ago. Maybe they are legit now.

Death from Above

news:Xns97C15286CA661ipostthereforeiam@127.0.0.1.. .
> Spy Falcon is history!
>
> Well this is interesting (to me).
>
> After all the tools I tried, the one that worked was
> AdAware. I had used AdAware a long time ago until
> I (for some reason) decided that HiJackThis, ToolbarCop
> and SbyBot S&D were the only suite of tools I needed.
>
> Then in my enduring love and respect for Microsoft, when
> Windows Defender (Beta) came out I saw history repeating
> itself (as it has so many times in the past when MS
> took over the 3rd party utility market) and I said to myself,
> self, the MS tool is the way to go, who better to look for
> malicious software on Windows than the author of Windows
> itself? Now I feel stupid.
>
> Sbybot S&D and AdAware have always found different infections,
> which I always found curious. Sure there will be differences,
> but what we need is a centralized repository of malware, and
> I though MS was heading there.

Cerebrus

You didn't run AdAware ?????????????? <Shakes head>

That's usually the second thing I run, after Spybot. They seem to work
exceptionally, in combination.

Cerebrus

> > It's kinda fun to zap spyware, but when they don't zap I get
> > PO'ed.

> Ah, but think of the satisfaction when you finally root the fusker

out<BEG>

Now's the time for the celebration... Bring out the beer barrel...

kpg

As Death from Above once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

> I thought AdAware was spyware itself. It cleans off all the competing
> spy/ad ware but leaves its own stuff.

I recall AdAware documentation saying that it was possible to has false
positives for other spyware removal tools because they find the signature
in the software. One should look at the results before cleaning!

> <quick google search>
>
> Yeah, they were sued by the New York attorney general. They settled a
> few months ago. Maybe they are legit now.

I'm confident they are not spyware (famous last words).

kpg

As Cerebrus once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

> Now's the time for the celebration... Bring out the beer barrel...

Well, if it had been more dramatic, like 37 registry edits while
in recovery console, but all I did was run AdAware and it found it
and cleaned it without any hoopla. Next reboot it was gone.

I pretty sure all of AdAware's programmers look like the Swedish
bikini team.

Bigus DiŠkus

"Death from Above" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I thought AdAware was spyware itself. It cleans off all the competing spy/ad
> ware but leaves its own stuff.
>
> <quick google search>
>
> Yeah, they were sued by the New York attorney general. They settled a few
> months ago. Maybe they are legit now.
>

> Death from Above

How funny, I knew that program was cr@p. I was a programmer for a guy that also
ran a computer store, and all of his Techs *swore* by AdAware. I mean these guys
*pushed* that software off onto _everybody_ that didn't own it. They even tried
pushing it off onto me, but I told them the day I saw it that the program was a
piece of sh!t and I didn't trust it.

--
Bigus DiŠkus
MCNGP 00110011

kpg

As Bigus DiŠkus once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

> How funny, I knew that program was cr@p. I was a programmer for a guy
> that also ran a computer store, and all of his Techs *swore* by
> AdAware. I mean these guys *pushed* that software off onto _everybody_
> that didn't own it. They even tried pushing it off onto me, but I
> told them the day I saw it that the program was a piece of sh!t and I
> didn't trust it.

Maybe that's why I stopped using it, it is a little candy-coated
looking. But then is euro-ware.

You should download it now. Install it on everything. In fact,
I insist. Join us. We are not the problem, we are the solution.

kp "Crush, Kill, Destroy" g