Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > invalid IP Address

invalid IP Address

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE0=?=

Hi, I am trying to install a Wireless ADSL Modem/Router 54 Mbps Annex A/B
ITEM NUMBER: CC400020, SWEEX and setup the wireless with a laptop, basically
it sees the the network and works fine until I set the encryption the laptop,
the laptop tries to connect but claims to have an "invalid IP address", i and
wont repair, it only seems to work without encryption.

I have tried the "cmd" IPCONFIG/ALL and run all commands but it still only
sets up correctly with the encryption disabled in the router

Any help will be great
Cheers
Rob

--
Rob M

Ryan Younger

What type of encryption are you using (WEP/WPA)?
If using WEP are you entering your key in hex or ASCII?
What wireless adapter are you using on your client?
Are you using Win XP SP2, fully patched?

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.

Networking Weblog

"Rob M" <(E-Mail Removed)(donotspam)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I am trying to install a Wireless ADSL Modem/Router 54 Mbps Annex A/B
> ITEM NUMBER: CC400020, SWEEX and setup the wireless with a laptop,
> basically
> it sees the the network and works fine until I set the encryption the
> laptop,
> the laptop tries to connect but claims to have an "invalid IP address", i
> and
> wont repair, it only seems to work without encryption.
>
> I have tried the "cmd" IPCONFIG/ALL and run all commands but it still only
> sets up correctly with the encryption disabled in the router
>
> Any help will be great
> Cheers
> Rob
>
> --
> Rob M

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE0=?=

it was WEP 64bit, the router had several pre coded numbers, although not sure
as to HEX or ASCII, one laptop connected fine (mine) but the other one would
only connect with encryption set to "disabled", I got the "invalid IP
Address" when I selected encrytion
--
Rob M

"Ryan Younger" wrote:

> What type of encryption are you using (WEP/WPA)?
> If using WEP are you entering your key in hex or ASCII?
> What wireless adapter are you using on your client?
> Are you using Win XP SP2, fully patched?
>

> --
> All the best,
>

> Ryan Younger.
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/ - Ryan's Wireless
> Networking Weblog
>
> "Rob M" <(E-Mail Removed)(donotspam)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I am trying to install a Wireless ADSL Modem/Router 54 Mbps Annex A/B
> > ITEM NUMBER: CC400020, SWEEX and setup the wireless with a laptop,
> > basically
> > it sees the the network and works fine until I set the encryption the
> > laptop,
> > the laptop tries to connect but claims to have an "invalid IP address", i
> > and
> > wont repair, it only seems to work without encryption.
> >
> > I have tried the "cmd" IPCONFIG/ALL and run all commands but it still only
> > sets up correctly with the encryption disabled in the router
> >
> > Any help will be great
> > Cheers
> > Rob
> >
> > --
> > Rob M

RalfG

Not all WEP implementations work well together. Especially shared key
passphrase type adapters mixed with manually entered key types.

Try using an Open HEX key on both. If you don't know, ASCII is plain text,
HEX is 2 alpha-numeric characters representing each character in the key..
example:

ASCII --- keytest
equals HEX --- 6b 65 79 74 65 73 74 (excluding spaces)

An online ASCII<->HEX converter can be found here:

http://centricle.com/tools/ascii-hex/

"Rob M" <(E-Mail Removed)(donotspam)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> it was WEP 64bit, the router had several pre coded numbers, although not
> sure
> as to HEX or ASCII, one laptop connected fine (mine) but the other one
> would
> only connect with encryption set to "disabled", I got the "invalid IP
> Address" when I selected encrytion
> --
> Rob M
>

> "Ryan Younger" wrote:
>
>> What type of encryption are you using (WEP/WPA)?
>> If using WEP are you entering your key in hex or ASCII?
>> What wireless adapter are you using on your client?
>> Are you using Win XP SP2, fully patched?
>>

>> --
>> All the best,
>>

>> Ryan Younger.
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/ - Ryan's Wireless
>> Networking Weblog
>>
>> "Rob M" <(E-Mail Removed)(donotspam)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi, I am trying to install a Wireless ADSL Modem/Router 54 Mbps Annex
>> > A/B
>> > ITEM NUMBER: CC400020, SWEEX and setup the wireless with a laptop,
>> > basically
>> > it sees the the network and works fine until I set the encryption the
>> > laptop,
>> > the laptop tries to connect but claims to have an "invalid IP address",
>> > and
>> > wont repair, it only seems to work without encryption.
>> >
>> > I have tried the "cmd" IPCONFIG/ALL and run all commands but it still
>> > only
>> > sets up correctly with the encryption disabled in the router
>> >
>> > Any help will be great
>> > Cheers
>> > Rob
>> >
>> > --
>> > Rob M

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE0=?=

sorry for the delay in responding I have only just gone back to my mates
machine, basically I have tried HEX and ASCII and still the machine would
only connect with encryption disabled, It also stays on "aquiring network
address" for ages before reporting back "limited or no connection" I have
tried the "ipconfig /all and used all the commands and I have also run a
"WINSOCK" program

I had simular problems with my laptop and my belkin router where I had
invalid IP and on this one I added an alternate address on the wireless card
but to be honest I dont know why I had to do this ???

--
Rob M

"RalfG" wrote:

> Not all WEP implementations work well together. Especially shared key
> passphrase type adapters mixed with manually entered key types.
>
> Try using an Open HEX key on both. If you don't know, ASCII is plain text,
> HEX is 2 alpha-numeric characters representing each character in the key..
> example:
>
> ASCII --- keytest
> equals HEX --- 6b 65 79 74 65 73 74 (excluding spaces)
>
> An online ASCII<->HEX converter can be found here:
>
> http://centricle.com/tools/ascii-hex/
>

> "Rob M" <(E-Mail Removed)(donotspam)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > it was WEP 64bit, the router had several pre coded numbers, although not
> > sure
> > as to HEX or ASCII, one laptop connected fine (mine) but the other one
> > would
> > only connect with encryption set to "disabled", I got the "invalid IP
> > Address" when I selected encrytion
> > --
> > Rob M
> >

> > "Ryan Younger" wrote:
> >
> >> What type of encryption are you using (WEP/WPA)?
> >> If using WEP are you entering your key in hex or ASCII?
> >> What wireless adapter are you using on your client?
> >> Are you using Win XP SP2, fully patched?
> >>

> >> --
> >> All the best,
> >>

> >> Ryan Younger.
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >>
> >> http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/ - Ryan's Wireless
> >> Networking Weblog
> >>
> >> "Rob M" <(E-Mail Removed)(donotspam)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

RalfG

I had the same problems trying to connect a Linksys wireless G type USB
adapter to a Dlink router. Basically the two used incompatible WEP
encryption schemes. With Dlink the ASCII key is direct entry but Linksys
used the ASCII as a passphrase system, IIRC. There were hardware
incompatibilities as well so the Linksys never did get a consistent
connection even without encryption. I also have a cheapie B type adapter as
backup which is a Linksys clone. That one can connect to the router using
WEP but only by using an Open key and entering a 64bit HEX key on the
adapter. The adapter won't connect using a Shared key or with 128 bit
encryption (WPA is not an option). I've since switched to all D-link
adapters and there aren't any more encryption issues.

"Rob M" <(E-Mail Removed)(donotspam)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> sorry for the delay in responding I have only just gone back to my mates
> machine, basically I have tried HEX and ASCII and still the machine would
> only connect with encryption disabled, It also stays on "aquiring network
> address" for ages before reporting back "limited or no connection" I have
> tried the "ipconfig /all and used all the commands and I have also run a
> "WINSOCK" program
>
> I had simular problems with my laptop and my belkin router where I had
> invalid IP and on this one I added an alternate address on the wireless
> card
> but to be honest I dont know why I had to do this ???
>
> --
> Rob M
>

> "RalfG" wrote:
>
>> Not all WEP implementations work well together. Especially shared key
>> passphrase type adapters mixed with manually entered key types.
>>
>> Try using an Open HEX key on both. If you don't know, ASCII is plain
>> text,
>> HEX is 2 alpha-numeric characters representing each character in the
>> key..
>> example:
>>
>> ASCII --- keytest
>> equals HEX --- 6b 65 79 74 65 73 74 (excluding spaces)
>>
>> An online ASCII<->HEX converter can be found here:
>>
>> http://centricle.com/tools/ascii-hex/
>>

>> "Rob M" <(E-Mail Removed)(donotspam)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > it was WEP 64bit, the router had several pre coded numbers, although
>> > not
>> > sure
>> > as to HEX or ASCII, one laptop connected fine (mine) but the other one
>> > would
>> > only connect with encryption set to "disabled", I got the "invalid IP
>> > Address" when I selected encrytion
>> > --
>> > Rob M

bubba@kilcomp bubba@kilcomp is offline
Junior Member

I am using a Linksys WRT54G router and a dlink pcmcia card, a linksys usb adaptor, and a belkin usb adaptor. I have not had any problems with WEP. My suggestion is to ditch the D-Link router and get a Linksys (just my opinion)

shanek1990 shanek1990 is offline
Junior Member

i have d-link router that i have encrypted with a wep key and using ASCII on a 64 bit and also have service pack 2. when i try to connect to the internet with a d-link adapter in my computer it says i have an invalid ip address and have limited or no connection. plz what do i do ?
thx shane

shanek1990 shanek1990 is offline
Junior Member

guys i have found the answer winsockfix search this in google download for free and use it my comp works now