Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Computer-to-computer

Computer-to-computer

exg@sabinmetal.com

Hello all!

Here's the situation:

At work, we recently started having an ad-hoc wireless connection show
up as a network choice. We are in the middle of nowhere, and the way
our buildings are (steel, etc), we can barely get a connection from our
own wireless router! This new connection is coming in strong (5 bars).

I guess my question is: could the signal be coming off another
computer? I guess I'm just lost actually.

I did get an IP address from the new connection, I'm just wondering how
I can find out where it is coming from!

Ed

RalfG

An Ad Hoc connection could be set up on any wireless computer. They could
use a high gain or directional antenna to get the stronger signal. Could be
a computer inside your building, or someone with a laptop sitting out in the
parking lot looking to get lucky, either hacking into your system or just
stealing internet bandwidth. Could be innocent too, someone needing to span
a long distance to connect to their own network.

You could triangulate the systerm's location using a wireless laptop and
suitable software, but I'm not the one to tell you how to go about it.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello all!
>
> Here's the situation:
>
> At work, we recently started having an ad-hoc wireless connection show
> up as a network choice. We are in the middle of nowhere, and the way
> our buildings are (steel, etc), we can barely get a connection from our
> own wireless router! This new connection is coming in strong (5 bars).
>
> I guess my question is: could the signal be coming off another
> computer? I guess I'm just lost actually.
>
> I did get an IP address from the new connection, I'm just wondering how
> I can find out where it is coming from!
>
> Ed

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

Could be a person with a laptop that is Not even aware that the laptop has
wireless and it is transmitting.

Assuming that your system is infrastructure and with full security then
there should not be meaning traffic coming out of this computer since it
configured to Ad-Hoc.

Otherwise has said above you need a Laptop with Highly directional Antenna
in order to try-angulated on the source
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation ).

Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello all!
>
> Here's the situation:
>
> At work, we recently started having an ad-hoc wireless connection show
> up as a network choice. We are in the middle of nowhere, and the way
> our buildings are (steel, etc), we can barely get a connection from our
> own wireless router! This new connection is coming in strong (5 bars).
>
> I guess my question is: could the signal be coming off another
> computer? I guess I'm just lost actually.
>
> I did get an IP address from the new connection, I'm just wondering how
> I can find out where it is coming from!
>
> Ed

James Gockel

Heres also an issue with Windows and adhoc... that might be what you're
seeing.
If you have an adhoc profile set up, and your computer can not connect to
any other wiresless signal, guess what, your own computer will see (and
broadcast) an adhoc connection (an adhoc connection does not require two or
more computers, just the one.) When your own computer shows this connection,
because it's technically just talking to itself, it's a great connection.

-James G.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello all!
>
> Here's the situation:
>
> At work, we recently started having an ad-hoc wireless connection show
> up as a network choice. We are in the middle of nowhere, and the way
> our buildings are (steel, etc), we can barely get a connection from our
> own wireless router! This new connection is coming in strong (5 bars).
>
> I guess my question is: could the signal be coming off another
> computer? I guess I'm just lost actually.
>
> I did get an IP address from the new connection, I'm just wondering how
> I can find out where it is coming from!
>
> Ed

Pavel A.

What your IT person at work says? Do you use built-in Windows
support for wireless or some custom utility?

--PA