Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Competent VHDL Simulators?

Competent VHDL Simulators?

Ken Asbury

As a newbie to VHDL and to this group may I impose on
someone to tell me which vendors provide a competent
VHDL simulator and, if it doesn't start a religious war,
suggest which if best?

Regards,
Ken Asbury

ashu

i use modelsim by mentor
best is difficult to tell

ashu

Remillard

Ken Asbury wrote:
> As a newbie to VHDL and to this group may I impose on
> someone to tell me which vendors provide a competent
> VHDL simulator and, if it doesn't start a religious war,
> suggest which if best?

I've used Modelsim by Mentor Graphics, and Riviera by Aldec and both
seem to have their plusses and minuses. Riviera's plusses (in my book)
are integrated support for mixed language designs (Verilog and VHDL)
with the same license. I'm sure their website will crow a lot more.
Modelsim is possible the industry standard, though expensive.

So, your mileage may vary, but there are a couple of names to look up.

Best regards,
Mark Norton
Concept Development, Inc.
Irvine, CA
http://www.cdvinc.com

Mike Treseler

Remillard wrote:

> I've used Modelsim by Mentor Graphics, and Riviera by Aldec and both
> seem to have their plusses and minuses. Riviera's plusses (in my book)
> are integrated support for mixed language designs (Verilog and VHDL)
> with the same license. I'm sure their website will crow a lot more.
> Modelsim is possible the industry standard, though expensive.

If I were in the market, my criteria would be
vhdl and verilog and linux support.
I would evaluate riviera vs modelsimSE
vs modelsim/OEMquartus. The OEM version is a
good value to start with. It handles either language,
but not both at the same time.

-- Mike Treseler

ghelbig@lycos.com

Ken Asbury wrote:
> As a newbie to VHDL and to this group may I impose on
> someone to tell me which vendors provide a competent
> VHDL simulator and, if it doesn't start a religious war,
> suggest which if best?
>
> Regards,
> Ken Asbury

"Best" is such a tricky word.

If you're a newbie, I'd suggest Peter Ashenden's book:
<http://www.ashenden.com.au/designers-guide/DG.html>

My copy came with a perfectly useable simulator. Wait until your less
of a newbie before spending the big bucks.

Ken Asbury

> Ken Asbury wrote:
> > As a newbie to VHDL and to this group may I impose on
> > someone to tell me which vendors provide a competent
> > VHDL simulator and, if it doesn't start a religious war,
> > suggest which if best?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ken Asbury

> "Best" is such a tricky word.
>
> If you're a newbie, I'd suggest Peter Ashenden's book:
> <http://www.ashenden.com.au/designers-guide/DG.html>
>
> My copy came with a perfectly useable simulator. Wait until your less
> of a newbie before spending the big bucks.

I do embedded SW for a living and thought that it might add
to my marketability to have a bit of VHDL in my bag of tricks.

Thanks to all for your inputs. I've been working my way through
Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg's VHDL tutorial for a couple of weeks
and downloaded Symphony EDA's VHDL Simuli Free for a
practice simulator. It seems to have a comprehensible IDE.

Ashenden's book sounds like a valuable additional resource.
You've all given me just the kind of insights I was hoping for.

Again, thanks,
Ken Asbury

YUI--Competent? David Mark Javascript 1 12-26-2009 05:47 AM
If you're going to be evil, at least be competent Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 2 03-05-2009 09:01 AM
Javascript project seeking competent scripter/coder merwin Javascript 1 09-26-2008 06:50 PM
I need a competent computer firm Geopelia NZ Computing 1 08-21-2007 05:58 AM

Advertisments