Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VPN over VPN?

VPN over VPN?

Otto

Hi,
i hope someone may help ...

For internet i have to connect to our server at my place via VPN.
--everything is fine --

And now my question:

Is it possible to connect to an server in the internet via VPN too?
Do i need some additional tools for that or is this impossible?

Thanks in advance,
Otto

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Otto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:For internet i have to connect to our server at my place via VPN.
:--everything is fine --

:And now my question:

:Is it possible to connect to an server in the internet via VPN too?
o i need some additional tools for that or is this impossible?

VPN is a general term that includes a variety of different
ways of encapsulating data.

Standard IPSec tunnels require using the AH and/or ESP protocols,
which are NOT IP protocols. Some of the common alternatives to
IPSec, such as PPTP, use GRE, which again is not an IP protocol.

Not all VPN devices are able to encapsulate non-IP protocols
to send them over the VPN -- so you might not be able to
send the AH, ESP, or GRE packets through the VPN tunnel in
order to have them decapsulated by your server at work in order
to have them passed on to the remote system. On the other hand,
some VPN devices should handle this with no problem: you did not
indicate what you are using.

There -are- some officially supported ways to do what you want,
if you have the right software/hardware at both sides. I am a bit
uncertain about the details, though, so I will not say exactly
what has to be done.
--
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."
-- not Twain, perhaps Disraeli, first quoted by Leonard Courtney