Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > DLLs

richard pickworth

when I try to run my app. on a different computer, I get an error, that DLLs
are missing. How can I make my app. "stand alone"?. I am using VisC++ .Net
Express.
yours
Richard

EventHelix.com

This is off-topic here. Try the news group
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc

There is a compiler/linker option to statically link with MFC.

--
EventStudio 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
Auto Layout and Generate Sequence Diagrams in PDF and MS Word

kalos

There are two ways to do this:
The way that does exactly what you ask is to statically link your DLLs.
I'm guessing that the DLLs that are required are MFC or something like
that (not your own).
You have to edit your project settings and look under linker. Here
there should be an option to choose how to link against Microsoft
libraries. I think the current selection will be "Using MFC as a
Dynamic Link Library" (DLL) and you want to change it to "Using MFC as
a Static Link Library". (You should watch out for this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;194299)

What happens when you do this is all of the code that you use (I
believe it is only the code you use and not the whole DLL) is
incorporated into your EXE. This will bloat the size of your executable
(don't forget, big executables can be slower due to cache misses...).

This is why you should do the second option if possibe:
Package the required DLLs with your app. If you are using an installer
package like InstallShield, this is no problem. Even if you are just
using a zip package you can just include all of the DLLs required in
the same directory as your app.
Either way the error message should say which DLLs are missing (or it
will tell you one at a time - you will have to add the DLL it asks for
and then get another error message to find the next DLL). Just look on
the developer computer for the DLLs and include a copy of them in your
package.

Note that if you are using InstallShield or the like, you should
probably put the files in System32. But check the InstallShield help
for that. (This will make sure that the files are shared and the
space-saving attributes of DLLs are preserved.)

-Kalos

richard pickworth wrote:
> when I try to run my app. on a different computer, I get an error, that DLLs
> are missing. How can I make my app. "stand alone"?. I am using VisC++ .Net
> Express.
> yours
> Richard

Matthias Meixner

richard pickworth wrote:
> when I try to run my app. on a different computer, I get an error, that DLLs
> are missing. How can I make my app. "stand alone"?. I am using VisC++ .Net
> Express.
> yours
> Richard

Let me guess: You have compiled it as "Debug" and therefore it links against
Debug-DLLs that are not found on "normal" systems. You can resolve it by
compiling it as "Release"

- Matthias Meixner

richard pickworth

actualy, I have tried building as "release" - no joy.
richard
"Matthias Meixner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7t6th$pjv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> richard pickworth wrote:
>> when I try to run my app. on a different computer, I get an error, that
>> DLLs
>> are missing. How can I make my app. "stand alone"?. I am using VisC++
>> .Net
>> Express.
>> yours
>> Richard
>>

> Let me guess: You have compiled it as "Debug" and therefore it links
> against
> Debug-DLLs that are not found on "normal" systems. You can resolve it by
> compiling it as "Release"
>
> - Matthias Meixner

adbarnet

let me guess... You're working on the windows platform?

try using the Depends tool to establish your binary dependencies.

"richard pickworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7v7lf$t0$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> actualy, I have tried building as "release" - no joy.
> richard
> "Matthias Meixner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d7t6th$pjv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> richard pickworth wrote:
>>> when I try to run my app. on a different computer, I get an error, that
>>> DLLs
>>> are missing. How can I make my app. "stand alone"?. I am using VisC++
>>> .Net
>>> Express.
>>> yours
>>> Richard
>>>

>> Let me guess: You have compiled it as "Debug" and therefore it links
>> against
>> Debug-DLLs that are not found on "normal" systems. You can resolve it by
>> compiling it as "Release"
>>
>> - Matthias Meixner

http://www.usenet.com

Rick N. Backer

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 15:53:53 +0000 (UTC), "richard pickworth"
<(E-Mail Removed)> did courageously avow:

>when I try to run my app. on a different computer, I get an error, that DLLs
>are missing. How can I make my app. "stand alone"?. I am using VisC++ .Net
>Express.
>yours
>Richard

When you're setting up the project check the box for static linking as
opposed to dynamic linking

Ken Wilson

Amer. Dlx. Tele, Gary Moore LP, LP DC Classic w/P90s,
Jeff Beck Strat, Morgan OM Acoustic,
Rick 360/12, Std. Strat (MIM), Mesa 100 Nomad,
Mesa F-30

"Goodnight Austin, Texas, wherever you are."

richard pickworth

Register the DLLs with regsvr32.exe?
yours
Richard
"richard pickworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7v7lf$t0$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> actualy, I have tried building as "release" - no joy.
> richard
> "Matthias Meixner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d7t6th$pjv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> richard pickworth wrote:
>>> when I try to run my app. on a different computer, I get an error, that
>>> DLLs
>>> are missing. How can I make my app. "stand alone"?. I am using VisC++
>>> .Net
>>> Express.
>>> yours
>>> Richard
>>>

>> Let me guess: You have compiled it as "Debug" and therefore it links
>> against
>> Debug-DLLs that are not found on "normal" systems. You can resolve it by
>> compiling it as "Release"
>>
>> - Matthias Meixner

deploying applications and shared dlls C Evans via .NET 247 ASP .Net 0 05-23-2005 10:26 AM
Problem with registering VB DLLs. Please help urgently.... Kelly G. ASP .Net 1 01-09-2004 01:58 PM
How to secure my DLLs Kelly G. ASP .Net 5 01-08-2004 12:44 AM
.Net Dlls and ASP.NET app. ASP .Net 3 07-15-2003 02:47 AM
.net and dlls ana ASP .Net 2 06-30-2003 01:18 PM

Advertisments