Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > CORBA/TAO vs XML

CORBA/TAO vs XML

Dave

Hi,

I heard that CORBA/TAO is not only overkilled for most of client/server
appplication, it also has serious compatibility problem with its older
version. CORBA/TAO tend to be a general purpose C++ library, but it ends
up not useful for specific application. It seems that use other specific
libraries like botan/cryptopp, regexx, sockets, xml libraries could
build a much more reliable application and thus easier to maintain in
the long run.

I m wondering whether this is truth in most of client/server/system
application that written in C++. Can anyone also suggest few good C++
libraires that I can replace current ACE/TAO libraries?

Thanks

EventHelix.com

XML is the way to go.

Try out Xerces C++ based XML parser library:
http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/

TinyXML would be another option:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinyxml/

--
EventStudio 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
Auto Layout and Generate Sequence Diagrams in PDF and MS Word

Rapscallion

Dave wrote:
> I heard that CORBA/TAO is not only overkilled for most of client/server
> appplication, it also has serious compatibility problem with its older
> version. CORBA/TAO tend to be a general purpose C++ library, but it ends
> up not useful for specific application. It seems that use other specific
> libraries like botan/cryptopp, regexx, sockets, xml libraries could
> build a much more reliable application and thus easier to maintain in
> the long run.
>
> I m wondering whether this is truth in most of client/server/system
> application that written in C++. Can anyone also suggest few good C++
> libraires that I can replace current ACE/TAO libraries?

For client/server appplications C++ is not the right 'environment'. Not
because the language is inappropriate (quite contrary) but because
there is no C++ 'community' that is interested in and builds usable
frameworks for this tasks. Just switch to the Java platform with its
abundant offerings in this area.

R.C.

Dave

Rapscallion wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
>>I heard that CORBA/TAO is not only overkilled for most of client/server
>>appplication, it also has serious compatibility problem with its older
>>version. CORBA/TAO tend to be a general purpose C++ library, but it ends
>>up not useful for specific application. It seems that use other specific
>>libraries like botan/cryptopp, regexx, sockets, xml libraries could
>>build a much more reliable application and thus easier to maintain in
>>the long run.
>>
>>I m wondering whether this is truth in most of client/server/system
>>application that written in C++. Can anyone also suggest few good C++
>>libraires that I can replace current ACE/TAO libraries?

> For client/server appplications C++ is not the right 'environment'. Not
> because the language is inappropriate (quite contrary) but because
> there is no C++ 'community' that is interested in and builds usable
> frameworks for this tasks. Just switch to the Java platform with its
> abundant offerings in this area.

Java has been the platform I m looking into. More over, I m building
embedded application, Java platform will take considerable capacity in
the base system. I could probably build a C++ server and Java clients.

Thanks
Sam

> R.C.

Dave

EventHelix.com wrote:

> XML is the way to go.
>
> Try out Xerces C++ based XML parser library:
> http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/
>
> TinyXML would be another option:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinyxml/

That's pretty good. Both projects are painlessly installed in my system.

Thanks
Sam

Dave

Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I heard that CORBA/TAO is not only overkilled for most of client/server
> appplication, it also has serious compatibility problem with its older
> version. CORBA/TAO tend to be a general purpose C++ library, but it ends
> up not useful for specific application. It seems that use other specific
> libraries like botan/cryptopp, regexx, sockets, xml libraries could
> build a much more reliable application and thus easier to maintain in
> the long run.
>
> I m wondering whether this is truth in most of client/server/system
> application that written in C++. Can anyone also suggest few good C++
> libraires that I can replace current ACE/TAO libraries?

I would think that SOUP is worth to look into for building a
client/server applicatoin. Does it have java version?

> Thanks

baalbek

Dave wrote:
> I heard that CORBA/TAO is not only overkilled for most of client/server
> appplication, it also has serious compatibility problem with its older
> version. CORBA/TAO tend to be a general purpose C++ library, but it ends
> up not useful for specific application.

????? What specific application? CORBA is used in countless (many
mission-critical) applications in banking, finace, science (etc etc etc).

>It seems that use other specific
> libraries like botan/cryptopp, regexx, sockets, xml libraries could
> build a much more reliable application and thus easier to maintain in
> the long run.

Well, for simple, non-mission critical applications not under heavy
load, you could just pass xml messages over the wire (the SOAP way), or
use sockets and implement your own marshalling technology. Good luck!

CORBA is designed to solve one problem: communication between objects
over the wire written in different languages. And it solves this very
well. The J2EE technology has borrowed heavily from CORBA, and even uses
the same protocol, the IIOP.

> I m wondering whether this is truth in most of client/server/system
> application that written in C++. Can anyone also suggest few good C++
> libraires that I can replace current ACE/TAO libraries?

Whats wrong with ACE/TAO? There is OmniORB
(http://omniorb.sourceforge.net) which is really efficient and stable,
there are commercial offerings from IONA (ORBIX and ORBACUS), and many
others.

There is also ICE (http://www.zeroc.com/) which is a better and simpler
CORBA.

Anyway, distributed computing is NOT easy, and the different frameworks
reflect that. Even SOAP, which started out as a simple solution to
distributed objects, are now reinventing the wheels you find in CORBA,
out of sheer necessity. Soon, SOAP and similar XML messaging
technologies end up as complex and "unmaintaniable" as CORBA.

Regards,
Baalbek

Sam

baalbek wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
>> I heard that CORBA/TAO is not only overkilled for most of
>> client/server appplication, it also has serious compatibility problem
>> with its older version. CORBA/TAO tend to be a general purpose C++
>> library, but it ends up not useful for specific application.

> ????? What specific application? CORBA is used in countless (many
> mission-critical) applications in banking, finace, science (etc etc etc).
>
>> It seems that use other specific libraries like botan/cryptopp,
>> regexx, sockets, xml libraries could build a much more reliable
>> application and thus easier to maintain in the long run.

> Well, for simple, non-mission critical applications not under heavy
> load, you could just pass xml messages over the wire (the SOAP way), or
> use sockets and implement your own marshalling technology. Good luck!
>
> CORBA is designed to solve one problem: communication between objects
> over the wire written in different languages. And it solves this very
> well. The J2EE technology has borrowed heavily from CORBA, and even uses
> the same protocol, the IIOP.
>

>> I m wondering whether this is truth in most of client/server/system
>> application that written in C++. Can anyone also suggest few good C++
>> libraires that I can replace current ACE/TAO libraries?

> Whats wrong with ACE/TAO? There is OmniORB
> (http://omniorb.sourceforge.net) which is really efficient and stable,
> there are commercial offerings from IONA (ORBIX and ORBACUS), and many
> others.
>
> There is also ICE (http://www.zeroc.com/) which is a better and simpler
> CORBA.
>
> Anyway, distributed computing is NOT easy, and the different frameworks
> reflect that. Even SOAP, which started out as a simple solution to
> distributed objects, are now reinventing the wheels you find in CORBA,
> out of sheer necessity. Soon, SOAP and similar XML messaging
> technologies end up as complex and "unmaintaniable" as CORBA.

Thanks for your explaination. It definitely solved my concerns of using
ACE/TAO in a client/server project.

Thanks
Sam