Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > HSRP and TRACKING SERIAL PORTS

HSRP and TRACKING SERIAL PORTS

Mark Holloway

I wanted to set up two routers with HSRP on the ethernet segment. I setup a
virtual IP which is the known default gateway for servers and of course I
have two hard coded IP addresses for the real ethernet interfaces of the
routers. One router, Router A, is setup as PRIORITY 200 and tracks
interface serial0/0.1 and if it goes down, traffic should be directed to the
next router. On that second router, Router B, I have just have PREEMPT but
I did not set a priority I am not tracking a serial interface. It was my
understanding that if, for example, Router A loses its frame realy circuit
to a down state, and I'm tracking that sub-interface, traffic is directed to
Router B. As soon as Router A's track interface comes back up/up it takes
ownership again. Does this sound right?

My and the engineer who is in the remote location where I shipped the
routers had tested and everything works for failover. I just want to make
sure I engineered this according to spec..

jonathan fernandes

> I wanted to set up two routers with HSRP on the ethernet segment. I setup a
> virtual IP which is the known default gateway for servers and of course I
> have two hard coded IP addresses for the real ethernet interfaces of the
> routers.

A few lines of config. would have spoken a thousand words
A couple of things (you haven't given us any config, so I won't assume
anything) :
- Assume standby group 1
- Remember that for rtrA, you'll want something like `standby 1
track serial 0/0.1 110', (because rtrB's priority is 100, and you want
rtr B to take over).
[ I would probably also leave the high priority as 105 (and not
200), because that way I can be lazy and use the default decrement
value of 10 ]
- I would have `standby 1 preempt' on both routers.
- You haven't specified if you have configured the Virtual IP
address on rtr B, but you can get away with that (since it will be
communicated in the Hello messages).

My config would look something like this :

rtrA(config)#int fa0
rtrA(config-int)#ip address 192.168.6.5 255.255.255.0
rtrA(config-int)#standby 1 priority 200
rtrA(config-int)#standby 1 ip 192.168.6.2
rtrA(config-int)#standby 1 preempt
rtrA(config-int)#standby 1 track serial 0/0.1 120

rtrB(config)#int fa0
rtrB(config-int)# ip address 192.168.6.3 255.255.255.0
rtrB(config-int)# standby 1 preempt
rtrB(config-int)# standby 1 ip 192.168.6.2

One router, Router A, is setup as PRIORITY 200 and tracks
> interface serial0/0.1 and if it goes down, traffic should be directed to the
> next router. On that second router, Router B, I have just have PREEMPT but
> I did not set a priority I am not tracking a serial interface. It was my
> understanding that if, for example, Router A loses its frame realy circuit
> to a down state, and I'm tracking that sub-interface, traffic is directed to
> Router B. As soon as Router A's track interface comes back up/up it takes
> ownership again. Does this sound right?
>
> My and the engineer who is in the remote location where I shipped the
> routers had tested and everything works for failover. I just want to make
> sure I engineered this according to spec..

fcntl, serial ports and serial signals on RS232. Max Kotasek Python 4 04-09-2010 06:32 PM
HSRP w/ BGP Tracking ascendmax Cisco 1 07-29-2008 08:18 PM
Tracking Someone Tracking Me Edw. Peach Computer Security 4 07-07-2005 05:50 PM
cisco 2621: interface tracking without hsrp? Woife Cisco 3 07-30-2004 07:23 AM
cisco 2621: interface tracking without hsrp? Woife Cisco 0 07-29-2004 08:09 PM

Advertisments