Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Boost serialization library

Boost serialization library

eyal.susser@gmail.com

Hi,

I'm using the Boost serialization library. Iwant to serialize
classes into simple buffers on RAM. There doesn't seem to be a
suitable archiver. Am I missing it? The ones I saw were for files
only. Although implementing one is easy, I would like to have one that
has already been tested...

Thanks,

Eyal.

Jeff Flinn

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the Boost serialization library. Iwant to serialize
> classes into simple buffers on RAM. There doesn't seem to be a
> suitable archiver. Am I missing it? The ones I saw were for files
> only. Although implementing one is easy, I would like to have one that
> has already been tested...

meantime, archives are independent of the particular stream type. You pass a
reference to the desired stream type when you construct an instance of an
archive.

std:stringstream lOut;

boost::archive:ml_oarchive oa( lOut );

or

boost::archive::text_oarchive oa( lOut );

or

boost::archive::binary_oarchive oa( lOut );

If these don't meet your needs, You can use Jonathan Turkanis' IOstream
library to easily wrap other storage/transmission methods. This is/soon to
be part of boost. For example, I've used it to wrap the MS Windows clipboard
to support copy/paste and drag/drop.

Jeff Flinn

eyal.susser@gmail.com

Well, fome the looks of it, std::stringstream does the trick. I'll run
some more checks to be sure...anyway, thanks! I'm a bit embarrased to
admit I didn't know there was such a thing a stringstream...