Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > newbie question

newbie question

TechMan

Hello all.
I need to know if exists a command to see the port status (open, close
etc..http, ftp, etc)
Thanks

Pier

netstat -a

"TechMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:7OvQa.7540$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hello all.
> I need to know if exists a command to see the port status (open, close
> etc..http, ftp, etc)
> Thanks

Walter Roberson

In article <7OvQa.7540$(E-Mail Removed)>,
TechMan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I need to know if exists a command to see the port status (open, close
:etc..http, ftp, etc)

For which platform?

There is no command for this on PIX, and I do not know of any command
for this on IOS.

When you are using access lists (on PIX or IOS), whether a port is
accessible or not depends upon the IP address that you are trying
to connect from, so there is no simple way to check whether
access will be permitted to a particular port.

Somehow, though, I get the impression that your question is not about
Cisco devices: I suspect your question is really about Windows.
The command to use in Windows (or Unix) is netstat

--
Before responding, take into account the possibility that the Universe
was created just an instant ago, and that you have not actually read

M.C. van den Bovenkamp

TechMan wrote:

> the question is for my cisco 831.
> I tried with my scanner, and i can see port 25 and 110 open.
> How is possible? i never open ports on my router, and in the config there
> isn't a config line that opens those ports.

Are you sure about that? Port 25 is SMTP, and 110 is POP3; are you
perchance running NAT redirecting those to internal servers?

Something like 'ip inside source static tcp <internal address> 25
<outside address> 25' would do it for SMTP.

Regards,

Marco.

Terry Baranski

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:25:27 +0200, "TechMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>the question is for my cisco 831.
>I tried with my scanner, and i can see port 25 and 110 open.
>How is possible? i never open ports on my router, and in the config there
>isn't a config line that opens those ports.
>Bye

You're probably running Norton AntiVirus on the machine that you ran
the scan from. NAV sets itself up to act as a proxy for incoming and
outgoing email, which tricks portscanners into declaring ports 25 and
110 open whenever a host is scanned.