Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > orange light is blinking on port connected to the router

orange light is blinking on port connected to the router

Suda

on Catalyst 2900 series switch, the port which is connecting switch to
the outside router suddenly started blinking orange. Everyone able to
get into the network but the connection became slow. Is it the problem
with the network traffic or more collisins or the cable problem.
What's the solution. How to check for more collisions?

Please somebody help.

Thanks
Suda

EmpokNor

duplex mismatch?

do a sh int, look at number of collisions. Clear couters on interface then
do sh int again. See if number of collisions is going up.

"Suda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> on Catalyst 2900 series switch, the port which is connecting switch to
> the outside router suddenly started blinking orange. Everyone able to
> get into the network but the connection became slow. Is it the problem
> with the network traffic or more collisins or the cable problem.
> What's the solution. How to check for more collisions?
>
> Please somebody help.
>
> Thanks
> Suda

mliu

there should be a mode button on the switch so that you can check
different things, duplex/conn/..., so the blinking orange light
indicates things that depand...

Suda wrote:
> on Catalyst 2900 series switch, the port which is connecting switch to
> the outside router suddenly started blinking orange. Everyone able to
> get into the network but the connection became slow. Is it the problem
> with the network traffic or more collisins or the cable problem.
> What's the solution. How to check for more collisions?
>
> Please somebody help.
>
> Thanks
> Suda

Suda

Hi,

I checked all those different modes. Everything looks good. And also
checked for no. of collisions by using show interface. It showed so
many no. of collisions (around 500,000).
So I believe, only solution for decreasing the no. of collisions is
increasing the bandwidth. Or something else can i do from my side??

Actually the switch is configured to have only two VLAN. That's it
nothing much complex configuration is used. So is it problem with
configuration?

Thanks
Suda

mliu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<beujkf$hm3$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> there should be a mode button on the switch so that you can check
> different things, duplex/conn/..., so the blinking orange light
> indicates things that depand...
>
> Suda wrote:
> > on Catalyst 2900 series switch, the port which is connecting switch to
> > the outside router suddenly started blinking orange. Everyone able to
> > get into the network but the connection became slow. Is it the problem
> > with the network traffic or more collisins or the cable problem.
> > What's the solution. How to check for more collisions?
> >
> > Please somebody help.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Suda

Suda

Hi,

I just now checked up for the duplex mode. Actullay it is in half
duplex mode. So is it the real problem. Should i need to change it to
Full duplex mode.

As you said i did the clear counters on the interface and did the sh
int. It showed me 69 collisions immediatley after clearing the
counters. It is really issue of collisions because of half duplex
mode?

Thanks
Suda

"EmpokNor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<CFEPa.858$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> duplex mismatch?
>
> do a sh int, look at number of collisions. Clear couters on interface then
> do sh int again. See if number of collisions is going up.
>
> "Suda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > on Catalyst 2900 series switch, the port which is connecting switch to
> > the outside router suddenly started blinking orange. Everyone able to
> > get into the network but the connection became slow. Is it the problem
> > with the network traffic or more collisins or the cable problem.
> > What's the solution. How to check for more collisions?
> >
> > Please somebody help.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Suda

d.rahdary d.rahdary is offline
Junior Member

Hi,

I am facin the same problem as yours,

it appeared that u didn't get your answer,

could you please help me with this?

my switch is cisco 2950 and the router is 2610

thanks in advance