Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Cross Platform C++ GUI API

Cross Platform C++ GUI API

darkhack@gmail.com

Hello. I am looking for a GUI API that is cross platform and works
with Windows, Mac, and Linux. I was hoping for something free and open
source. You see, I have yet to find anything that fits this criteria.

GTK+ is good, but it doesn't work on the Mac. Qt claims to work on all
Operating Systems, but it requires a recompile on that platform and
I've yet to figure out how to accomplish that without buying the
commerical version. So if anyone can recommend an alternative, please
do.

Anyways, if there isnt anything out there that would suit my needs, I
am thinking about writing my own maybe? If you can provide any
information on how I would do this, such as how I would draw GUI
widgets and things of that sort so I can go about programming my own,
that would be great.

Thanks

Phlip

darkhack wrote:

> Hello. I am looking for a GUI API that is cross platform and works
> with Windows, Mac, and Linux. I was hoping for something free and open
> source. You see, I have yet to find anything that fits this criteria.

Why C++? All the top OSs support Ruby and Tk.

C++ is for hard system code. A GUI is light event-driven command and control
code.

--
Phlip

Mike Wahler

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello. I am looking for a GUI API that is cross platform and works
> with Windows, Mac, and Linux. I was hoping for something free and open
> source. You see, I have yet to find anything that fits this criteria.
>
> GTK+ is good, but it doesn't work on the Mac. Qt claims to work on all
> Operating Systems, but it requires a recompile on that platform

Virtually any such package (except perhaps those which run on interpreters
or 'engines' implemented on all desired platforms) would require a recompile
for different platforms -- they'll have different OS calls and/or processor
instruction sets.

>and
> I've yet to figure out how to accomplish that without buying the
> commerical version.

In your stated case, a 'commercial' version would not obviate the
need for separate compilation for each platform. It would probably
just add more 'advanced' features and perhaps less restrictive
licensing.

>So if anyone can recommend an alternative, please
> do.

Face reality.

> Anyways, if there isnt anything out there that would suit my needs, I
> am thinking about writing my own maybe?

Good luck with that.

> If you can provide any
> information on how I would do this, such as how I would draw GUI
> widgets and things of that sort so I can go about programming my own,
> that would be great.

This necessarily depends upon the target platform, so you'd need
separate code for each platform, compiled for each platform, ideally
residing in the same code base, with conditional compilation directives.
Which brings us back to ....

-Mike

darkhack@gmail.com

Mike... you obviously havn't worked with the Qt library before. Yes, I
realize that a recompile is required no matter what.

If you read my post rather than trying to start in by flaming it, you
would realize that I wasn't asking for an api that didnt require a
recompile (because non such exist) but rather one that can easily be
recompiled. Qt CAN be recompiled on windows but not without a lot of
trouble, and I havn't found any documentation on recompiling Qt
programs for the Mac.

Mike Wahler

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Mike... you obviously havn't worked with the Qt library before.

No I have not.

> Yes, I
> realize that a recompile is required no matter what.

Perhaps I misunderstood your query.

> If you read my post rather than trying to start in by flaming it,

If you feel my reply was a 'flame', so be it. But it seems
you have a very 'thin skin'. My reply was a genuine attempt
to help, not meant in any way to be a 'flame.' Sometimes
(via misunderstanding or other reason(s)), my advice is not
helpful. That's just the way it is with any person trying to help
another.

> you
> would realize that I wasn't asking for an api that didnt require a
> recompile (because non such exist) but rather one that can easily be
> recompiled.

'Ease of compilation' is a tool issue, not a language issue.
This *is* a language group. Perhaps newsgroups or mailing
lists which adress the tools of interest would be better places
to ask.

>Qt CAN be recompiled on windows but not without a lot of
> trouble, and I havn't found any documentation on recompiling Qt
> programs for the Mac.

Sorry to hear that, but this is not the place to find or ask
about such documentation. Perhaps write to the authors of
the tools you're interested in?

You might also benefit from checking the "List of Available C++
Libraries" at www.trumphurst.com

-Mike

Serge Skorokhodov (216716244)

Hi,

I would suggest giving a try to wxWidgets (former wxWindow) library.

> Hello. I am looking for a GUI API that is cross platform and works
> with Windows, Mac, and Linux. I was hoping for something free and open
> source. You see, I have yet to find anything that fits this criteria.
>
> GTK+ is good, but it doesn't work on the Mac. Qt claims to work on all
> Operating Systems, but it requires a recompile on that platform and
> I've yet to figure out how to accomplish that without buying the
> commerical version. So if anyone can recommend an alternative, please
> do.
>
> Anyways, if there isnt anything out there that would suit my needs, I
> am thinking about writing my own maybe? If you can provide any
> information on how I would do this, such as how I would draw GUI
> widgets and things of that sort so I can go about programming my own,
> that would be great.
>
> Thanks

Ivan Vecerina

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello. I am looking for a GUI API that is cross platform and works
> with Windows, Mac, and Linux. I was hoping for something free and open
> source. You see, I have yet to find anything that fits this criteria.
>
> GTK+ is good, but it doesn't work on the Mac. Qt claims to work on all
> Operating Systems, but it requires a recompile on that platform and
> I've yet to figure out how to accomplish that without buying the
> commerical version. So if anyone can recommend an alternative, please
> do.

wxWidgets is a totally free (and popular) library:
http://www.wxwidgets.org/
It does not have as much support and documentation, and the better
graphical GUI editors for it are not free, but it is a mature and
usable solution. It offers a native look on the platforms it supports
(Windows, GTK, MaxOSX, ...).
Design-wise, I would have preferred something less monolithic and
more in line with modern C++ style (and using the std lib), but well...

Another popular, more lightweight solution, is FLTK:
http://www.fltk.org/
(uses custom widgets...)

There are more...

> Anyways, if there isnt anything out there that would suit my needs, I
> am thinking about writing my own maybe? If you can provide any
> information on how I would do this, such as how I would draw GUI
> widgets and things of that sort so I can go about programming my own,
> that would be great.

This is not such an easy job...

I hope this helps,
Ivan

Uzytkownik

> Hello. I am looking for a GUI API that is cross platform and works
> with Windows, Mac, and Linux. I was hoping for something free and open
> source. You see, I have yet to find anything that fits this criteria.
>
> GTK+ is good, but it doesn't work on the Mac. Qt claims to work on all
> Operating Systems, but it requires a recompile on that platform and
> I've yet to figure out how to accomplish that without buying the
> commerical version. So if anyone can recommend an alternative, please
> do.
>
> Anyways, if there isnt anything out there that would suit my needs, I
> am thinking about writing my own maybe? If you can provide any
> information on how I would do this, such as how I would draw GUI
> widgets and things of that sort so I can go about programming my own,
> that would be great.
>
> Thanks

1. wxWidgets.
I don't like it (it's more similar to winapi then gtk/gtkmm/qt), but it
have bad documentation (I don't understand it ).
2. Gcc cross-compilation and qt

Regards.
--
Linux user: #376500 (see http://counter.li.org/)

darkhack@gmail.com

Ok, thanks mike. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

I'll take a look at wxwidgets and see what I think.

Conrad Weyns

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello. I am looking for a GUI API that is cross platform and works
> with Windows, Mac, and Linux. I was hoping for something free and open
> source. You see, I have yet to find anything that fits this criteria.
>
> GTK+ is good, but it doesn't work on the Mac. Qt claims to work on all
> Operating Systems, but it requires a recompile on that platform and
> I've yet to figure out how to accomplish that without buying the
> commerical version. So if anyone can recommend an alternative, please
> do.

Zoolib:
http://zoolib.sourceforge.net/