Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Lexicographic ordering of punctuation marks

Lexicographic ordering of punctuation marks

masood.iqbal@lycos.com

What is the standard C/C++ lexicograhic ordering of punctuation
characters with respect to each other and the alphanumeric characters?

--Masood

Keith Thompson

> What is the standard C/C++ lexicograhic ordering of punctuation
> characters with respect to each other and the alphanumeric characters?

There is none. C requires the digits '0' through '9' to be
consecutive; everything else is implementation-specific.

Peter Koch Larsen

<(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> What is the standard C/C++ lexicograhic ordering of punctuation
> characters with respect to each other and the alphanumeric characters?
>
> --Masood

There is none. Ordering depends on the locale used and will vary from
country to country. For the standard C-locale, my guess is that the ordering
depends on the underlying character set. For ASCII and related codepages, it
will most likely be numerical order.

/Peter