Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > how can i do simple web server load balancing on a cisco 3660?

how can i do simple web server load balancing on a cisco 3660?

Adam

I have been handed a single Cisco 3660 router with IOS 12.2(7a). What
I am trying to do with it is load balance two web servers (port 80).

I am a self-declared newbie, having no prior experience of working
with routers. I have managed to get into the command line interface,
plug in the router to the network and get a ping to work. Here is the
current target configuration of the network. I apologize if I mess up
the terminology.

A T1 drop comes in from our provider and it goes into a Cisco 2600
also by our provider. The 2600 splits the T1 into two local networks.
One of those networks is for our VOIP system, the other is for our
data. The data line is plugged into a SonicWall firewall, the
SonicWall is connected to an unmanaged switch which all our local
workstations are connected to. In addition, there is a cable from the
switch going to the Cisco 3660. There are no other routers involved
within the office network.

1. I have been able to configure the Cisco 3660 ethernet port with an
ip address (192.168.167.1) so that it responds to a ping.
2. For simplicity, I have a server farm setup to redirect traffic
from 192.168.167.2 to 192.168.166.87. This is the serverfarm
configuration...

ip slb serverfarm test
real 192.168.166.87
inservice
ip slb vserver test_http
serverfarm test
virtual 192.168.167.2 tcp www
inservice

After setting up the serverfarm i am successfully able to ping
192.168.167.2. Now I try going to my website
http://192.168.166.87/test.html but it does not get a response and it
hangs the browser. Whatever help you can provide would be
appreciated.

Adam