Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Memory Leak Detection

Memory Leak Detection

Winbatch

Is there a free or shareware tool to detect memory leaks in C++ programs?
I've done a variety of google searches but either came up with commercial
products or ones I could not get to detect blatantly leaking code.

rajkumar@hotmail.com

Depends on OS

for linux you can try

http://sourceforge.net/projects/valgrind/

rajkumar@hotmail.com

Depends on OS

for linux you can try

http://sourceforge.net/projects/valgrind/

Winbatch

For Sun Solaris.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Depends on OS
>
> for linux you can try
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/valgrind/

Markus Elfring

> Is there a free or shareware tool to detect memory leaks in C++ programs?

Is a software that fits to your needs listed in this article?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_debugger

Regards,
Markus

Winbatch

These appear to be either for C ( to detect malloc) or java , or bad
links...
"Markus Elfring" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is there a free or shareware tool to detect memory leaks in C++ programs?

> Is a software that fits to your needs listed in this article?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_debugger
>
> Regards,
> Markus

E. Mark Ping

In article <DZTSd.11318$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Winbatch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Is there a free or shareware tool to detect memory leaks in C++ programs?
>I've done a variety of google searches but either came up with commercial
>products or ones I could not get to detect blatantly leaking code.

The Boehm Collector is free, and can be used to detect leaks.
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/
--
Mark Ping

Winbatch

This also appears to be C (malloc/free) related based on this:

Using the Garbage Collector as Leak Detector
The garbage collector may be used as a leak detector. In this case, the
primary function of the collector is to report objects that were allocated
(typically with GC_MALLOC), not deallocated (normally with GC_FREE), but are
no longer accessible

"E. Mark Ping" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cvjasv$1ne3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <DZTSd.11318$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Winbatch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Is there a free or shareware tool to detect memory leaks in C++ programs?
>>I've done a variety of google searches but either came up with commercial
>>products or ones I could not get to detect blatantly leaking code.

> The Boehm Collector is free, and can be used to detect leaks.
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/
> --
> Mark Ping
> (E-Mail Removed)

E. Mark Ping

In article <EmaTd.11405$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Winbatch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>This also appears to be C (malloc/free) related based on this:
>
>Using the Garbage Collector as Leak Detector
>The garbage collector may be used as a leak detector. In this case, the
>primary function of the collector is to report objects that were allocated
>(typically with GC_MALLOC), not deallocated (normally with GC_FREE), but are
>no longer accessible

It's both C and C++ compatible. It's a widely known GC implementation
for C and C++. Use it or not, I really don't care.
--
Mark Ping
(E-Mail Removed)

Winbatch

All I was asking is if it would detect 'new' and 'delete' bugs and not just
malloc and free. ( I only use new and delete).
"E. Mark Ping" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cvjo93$1rcb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <EmaTd.11405$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Winbatch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>This also appears to be C (malloc/free) related based on this:
>>
>>Using the Garbage Collector as Leak Detector
>>The garbage collector may be used as a leak detector. In this case, the
>>primary function of the collector is to report objects that were allocated
>>(typically with GC_MALLOC), not deallocated (normally with GC_FREE), but
>>are
>>no longer accessible

> It's both C and C++ compatible. It's a widely known GC implementation
> for C and C++. Use it or not, I really don't care.
> --
> Mark Ping
> (E-Mail Removed)

c++ memory leak detection __jakal__ C++ 9 05-24-2012 08:39 PM
Memory Leak detection Archana C++ 1 02-04-2008 07:16 AM
Memory leak detection tools? kk_oop@yahoo.com C++ 8 11-03-2006 07:29 PM
About memory leak detection. mosaic C Programming 7 07-16-2004 01:42 PM
memory allocation logging for leak detection - problem with globals Spur C++ 1 05-09-2004 09:46 PM

Advertisments