Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > It is very surprising ....

It is very surprising ....

janek

So please, look into Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" (AT&T
1997), where in the Introduction a very similar code to mine is
placed.

Janek

Karl Heinz Buchegger

janek wrote:

> So please, look into Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" (AT&T
> 1997), where in the Introduction a very similar code to mine is
> placed.
>
> Janek

What are you talking about?

Please note: The regulars work though dozends of postings each day.
At least I don't know every post by heart that I see each day and by
whom it was posted. So a little bit of context of what you are talking
about is always a good idea.

--
Karl Heinz Buchegger

red floyd

Karl Heinz Buchegger wrote:
> janek wrote:
>
>>So please, look into Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" (AT&T
>>1997), where in the Introduction a very similar code to mine is
>>placed.
>>
>> Janek

> What are you talking about?
>
> Please note: The regulars work though dozends of postings each day.
> At least I don't know every post by heart that I see each day and by
> whom it was posted. So a little bit of context of what you are talking
> about is always a good idea.

Karl, I did a search for "janek" in my Google Groups. The only post
from 2005 would be the one about namespace vs. class.

To answer Janek's (presumed) question: 1997 is pre-Standard. That
particular edition of TCPPL didn't discuss namespaces properly.
Pre-Standard, the only way to create global data items in their own
namespace was to make them static members of a class.

Ioannis Vranos

red floyd wrote:

> Karl, I did a search for "janek" in my Google Groups. The only post
> from 2005 would be the one about namespace vs. class.
>
> To answer Janek's (presumed) question: 1997 is pre-Standard. That
> particular edition of TCPPL didn't discuss namespaces properly.
> Pre-Standard, the only way to create global data items in their own
> namespace was to make them static members of a class.

Actually it is TC++PL 3. Well FDIS was in November 14, 1997 (the
finished content) so we can say it is not pre-standard. Perhaps
Stroustrup himself may shed some light on this (if there were
"pre-standard/non-standard things in the first printing of the book),
however I do not think so.

The answer to OP is that a class is a type, while a namespace is a scope
for grouping related facilities, including classes themselves.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys