Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Re: OSI question : Why can't I ping a nokia synfonet node from a 2620???

Re: OSI question : Why can't I ping a nokia synfonet node from a 2620???

Kenneth Mikkelsen

"Will Plaice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IrQNa.36$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ... I didn't think that the Synfonet kit replied to pings...
> what type of node is it... and let me know if it dies respond... I'm
> currently trying to get CLNS accross an IP tunnel...(not easy)

Well it is a pdh node. If it is true that it won't respond to ICMP, then I
can always use the management platform(NMS/10). There must be alot of
companys out there with the same type of equipment. What is the normal
solution, one would think it involve getting rid of OSI and implementing
TCP/IP. I have looked around quite a bit and I found this link
http://www.commtel.com.au/managementp.htm#NMS/10 and by the looks of it, it
is possible. If so, I hope it also holds true for our Marconi SDH nodes.

--
Kenneth
To reply please place a dot between tek and op

Kenneth Mikkelsen

"Kenneth Mikkelsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eL5Oa.12838$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Will Plaice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:IrQNa.36$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ... I didn't think that the Synfonet kit replied to pings...
> > what type of node is it... and let me know if it dies respond... I'm
> > currently trying to get CLNS accross an IP tunnel...(not easy)
> >

> Well it is a pdh node. If it is true that it won't respond to ICMP, then

> can always use the management platform(NMS/10). There must be alot of
> companys out there with the same type of equipment. What is the normal
> solution, one would think it involve getting rid of OSI and implementing
> TCP/IP. I have looked around quite a bit and I found this link
> http://www.commtel.com.au/managementp.htm#NMS/10 and by the looks of it,

it
> is possible. If so, I hope it also holds true for our Marconi SDH nodes.

Well it was actually a SDH node made by Nokia as well. I looked some more
into it and by the looks of it, I am stuck with OSI.

--
Kenneth
(E-Mail Removed)