Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Designing a Matrix class

Designing a Matrix class

Charulatha Kalluri

Hi,

I'm implementing a Matrix class, as part of a project. This is the interface
I've designed:

class Matrix( )

{

private:

vector< vector<int> > m_Data;
pair<int, int> m_size;
public:

Matrix(unsigned int n);
Matrix(unsigned int m, unsigned int n);

~Matrix();

}

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a better way to model the data structure other than a vector of
vectors? I realize I can write up the Matrix class from scratch, but I want
to use STL containers.

2. If I use a vector of vectors, how would dynamic memory allocation work? I
don't fully understand how STL's vector handles memory. For example, to
resize a matrix, how would I "delete" the memory for the old matrix? Would
the 'resize' and 'clear' functions guarantee proper memory management,
without leaks?

Thanks in advance!!

-CK

[...]

Siemel Naran

"Charulatha Kalluri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:csfdc0

> class Matrix( )
> {
> private:
> vector< vector<int> > m_Data;
> pair<int, int> m_size;
> public:
> Matrix(unsigned int n);
> Matrix(unsigned int m, unsigned int n);
> ~Matrix();

There's no need to write a copy constructor, operator=, or destructor as the
compiler generated one will suffice.

But I'd opt for one private member variable std::vector<int> m_Data that
would store the data by rows or columns. I find that on my implementation
(Windows or Linux on PCs, g++ or Borland or other compilers) you get faster
performance because memory allocation is faster. Then you'd implement
operator() like this

int Matrix:perator()(int row, int col) const {
return m_Data[row*numcols+col];
}

You can also easily write row and column iterators that don't do the
arithmetic, so will be very fast.

matthias_k

Charulatha Kalluri wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm implementing a Matrix class, as part of a project. This is the interface
> I've designed:
>

> class Matrix( )
>
> {
>
> private:
>
> vector< vector<int> > m_Data;
> pair<int, int> m_size;
> public:
>
> Matrix(unsigned int n);
> Matrix(unsigned int m, unsigned int n);
>
> ~Matrix();
>
> }
>

> I have a couple of questions:
>

> 1. Is there a better way to model the data structure other than a vector of
> vectors? I realize I can write up the Matrix class from scratch, but I want
> to use STL containers.
>

> 2. If I use a vector of vectors, how would dynamic memory allocation work? I
> don't fully understand how STL's vector handles memory. For example, to
> resize a matrix, how would I "delete" the memory for the old matrix? Would
> the 'resize' and 'clear' functions guarantee proper memory management,
> without leaks?
>

> Thanks in advance!!
>

> -CK

First of all, you should make your Matrix class a template. Often
enough, you don't want matrices of integral values, but of double or
boolean.

Second, I can't see that part of the interface which gets you access to
the matrix data. You should implement operator[][] for example.

Third, I would consider not to hold a vector< vector<T> >, but separate
vectors, one for rows, one for columns (I think that was already said).
I can tell from my personal experience because I am currently
implementing a solver for linear optimization problems for a math
project at the university, and I found it most annoying to work with
vectors of vectors of T as matrix representations, because you can only
get the data in form of rows or values. However, by-column access is
needed quite often. I wish I would have known from the beginning.

As to the memory thing, I think std::vector<T> handles it as follows:
It will acquire space for several entries on construction (how much by
default is implementation defined I think, but you can explicitly pass
an initial size on construction). Now each time the vecor becomes too
small, it will -again- allocate as much space as it did on construction.
This makes sure the vector won't resize with each and every insertion.
In your case, size m for the row vector and size n for the column vector
seem to make sense (consider though, is it appropriate to resize a
matrix which was constructed as mxn? I don't think so. You would rather
discard it and create a new m'xn' matrix).

Just my 2 euro cents.

Dave Moore

"Charulatha Kalluri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:csfdc0$mti$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I'm implementing a Matrix class, as part of a project. This is the
> interface I've designed:
>
> class Matrix( )
> {
> private:
> vector< vector<int> > m_Data;
> pair<int, int> m_size;
> public:
> Matrix(unsigned int n);
> Matrix(unsigned int m, unsigned int n);
> ~Matrix();
> }
>
> I have a couple of questions:
> 1. Is there a better way to model the data structure other than a vector

of
> vectors? I realize I can write up the Matrix class from scratch, but I

want
> to use STL containers.

Yes, in fact a vector of vectors is a very bad way to implement a Matrix (at
least a mathematical one), because there is nothing that says the internal
vectors all have to be the same length.

The way to do it is to use a vector<T>, or perhaps a valarray<T> to provide
the internal representation of your data. You then have to build various
ways to view the data, keeping in mind the appropriate striding for the
matrix. There are tons of references about how to do this on the web .. try
a google search. A couple that I found useful in the past are:
Object oriented numerics: http://www.oonumerics.org/oon/
and the POOMA library: http://acts.nersc.gov/pooma/

Also, in chapter 22 of TC++PL 3rd ed., Stroustrup shows an example of how to
implement a Matrix using a std::valarray, along with some associated STL
helper classes for building different kinds of views. For me, the
non-aliasing restrictions placed on std::valarray were too strict, and I
ended up rolling my own using std::vector as an exercise, but the general
approach and examples he laid out were certainly useful.

HTH,

Dave Moore

E. Robert Tisdale

Charulatha Kalluri wrote:

> I'm implementing a Matrix class, as part of a project.
> This is the interface I've designed:
>
> class Matrix( )
>
> {
>
> private:
>
> vector< vector<int> > m_Data;
> pair<int, int> m_size;
> public:
>
> Matrix(unsigned int n);
> Matrix(unsigned int m, unsigned int n);
>
> ~Matrix();
>
> }

> g++ -Wall -ansi -pedantic -c Matrix.cc

Matrix.cc:1: error: expected unqualified-id before ')' token
Matrix.cc:3: error: expected `,' or `;' before '{' token

It doesn't even compile.

> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Is there a better way to model the data structure
> other than a vector of vectors?
> I realize I can write up the Matrix class from scratch
> but I want to use STL containers.

Have you considered valarray?
Bjarne Stroustrup, "The C++ Programming Language: Third Edition",
Chapter 22: Numerics, Section 4: Vector Arithmetic,
Subsection 6: Slice_array, page 672.

> 2. If I use a vector of vectors, how would dynamic memory allocation work?
> I don't fully understand how STL's vector handles memory.
> For example, to resize a matrix,
> how would I "delete" the memory for the old matrix?
> Would the 'resize' and 'clear' functions guarantee proper memory management,
> without leaks?

Take a look at
The C++ Scalar, Vector, Matrix and Tensor class Library

http://www.netwood.net/~edwin/svmtl/

then take a look at
The Object-Oriented Numerics Page

http://www.oonumerics.org/oon/

Charulatha Kalluri

This is great - thanks for the responses!!

I've decided to go with a vector<T>, rather than valarray. (I don't have the
Stroustroup book, and there are time constraints on the project)

Also, I'm deriving Symmetric, Diagonal matrices, etc. from the main Matrix
class and plan to have a 'minimize( )' function that uses up less memory.
But this would also involve overloading almost all operators (arithmetic and
otherwise). Does this approach seem "natural", or does the inheritance seem
"forced"?

Thanks in advance
--CK

news:csi8r6$6o3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Also, I'm deriving Symmetric, Diagonal matrices, etc. from the main Matrix
> class and plan to have a 'minimize( )' function that uses up less memory.
> But this would also involve overloading almost all operators (arithmetic

and
> otherwise). Does this approach seem "natural", or does the inheritance

seem
> "forced"?

It seems forced to me because if Symmetric matrix inherits from Matrix, it
inherits all the functionality of the base class, inculding its data
structure. Sure, you could modify the base class data structure in the
derived class, but there are easier ways if you are designing from scratch.

You can make class Matrix abstract. It will just define an interface of
pure virtual functions, including a virtual destructor. For example

template <class T>
class Matrix {
public:
virtual ~Matrix();
virtual const T& operator()(size_type row, size_type col) const = 0;
virtual T& operator()(size_type row, size_type col) = 0;
};

The derived classes will be RegularMatrix, SymmetricMatrix, etc.