Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Certification question - which one for me?

Reply
Thread Tools

Certification question - which one for me?

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TGlseWJpdHQx?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2005
After many years of not being sure what I wanted to do, I'm going back to
school to get more involved with computers. Ultimately, I'd like to be able
to work in IT for a smaller company with only a few people in the department.
Both MCSE and MCSA sound interesting, but not sure which, if any, would be
the better choice.

Any thoughts?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Leonid S. Knyshov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2005
"Lilybitt1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After many years of not being sure what I wanted to do, I'm going back to
> school to get more involved with computers. Ultimately, I'd like to be
> able
> to work in IT for a smaller company with only a few people in the
> department.
> Both MCSE and MCSA sound interesting, but not sure which, if any, would be
> the better choice.
>
> Any thoughts?


The MCSA can be considered a pre-requisite for MCSE. It's not necessarily
true, due to a smaller list of eligible electives, but the core exams are
the same, only there are 2 more at the MCSE level.

Please do us all of a favor and really study this stuff. You should be able
to answer most questions on XP without a reference by the time you achieve
your MCP in XP
--
Leonid S. Knyshov, CEO
Crashproof Solutions, LLC - http://www.crashproofsolutions.com
MCP Exchange 2003/Small Business Server 2003, CCNA, SCSA 8
Microsoft Small Business Specialist Partner


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TGlseWJpdHQx?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2005
One of the reasons that I'm asking about which one is right for me is that it
says about the MCSA that its for someone with 6-12 months experience and for
medium to large sized companies. I have no experience in actual IT, although
very knowledgable in a lot of software. And I have a personal preference for
working for smaller companies. I'm taking college classes in the spring on
Operating Systems and Hardware.

Also, one more question, the CompTIA A+ plus one other CompTIA are elective
exams, since I'll be taking those exams first as they are part of my class -
does this qualify you as an MCP?

Thanks very much.

"Leonid S. Knyshov" wrote:

> "Lilybitt1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > After many years of not being sure what I wanted to do, I'm going back to
> > school to get more involved with computers. Ultimately, I'd like to be
> > able
> > to work in IT for a smaller company with only a few people in the
> > department.
> > Both MCSE and MCSA sound interesting, but not sure which, if any, would be
> > the better choice.
> >
> > Any thoughts?

>
> The MCSA can be considered a pre-requisite for MCSE. It's not necessarily
> true, due to a smaller list of eligible electives, but the core exams are
> the same, only there are 2 more at the MCSE level.
>
> Please do us all of a favor and really study this stuff. You should be able
> to answer most questions on XP without a reference by the time you achieve
> your MCP in XP
> --
> Leonid S. Knyshov, CEO
> Crashproof Solutions, LLC - http://www.crashproofsolutions.com
> MCP Exchange 2003/Small Business Server 2003, CCNA, SCSA 8
> Microsoft Small Business Specialist Partner
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Leonid S. Knyshov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2005
"Lilybitt1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> One of the reasons that I'm asking about which one is right for me is that
> it
> says about the MCSA that its for someone with 6-12 months experience and
> for
> medium to large sized companies. I have no experience in actual IT,
> although
> very knowledgable in a lot of software. And I have a personal preference
> for
> working for smaller companies. I'm taking college classes in the spring
> on
> Operating Systems and Hardware.
>
> Also, one more question, the CompTIA A+ plus one other CompTIA are
> elective
> exams, since I'll be taking those exams first as they are part of my
> class -
> does this qualify you as an MCP?
>
> Thanks very much.
>

MCP materials will not train you on small business networks. If you
understand them well, you would be qualified to run a midsized company.
Small businesses can't afford you full time, only mid-size companies can.
That is why this is so biased towards the mid-size companies. Ignore the
6-12 months remark and you'll do fine as long as you practice and not just
read.

MCDST is a better elective than A+ is, in my opinion and there is free
elearning available on it. I consider Comptia certs a waste of time and
ignore them when I look at resumes, but that's just me. Comptia certs do not
qualify you as an MCP. MCDST grants you access to the MCP site, so I believe
it does make you an MCP.

Recommended experience level is just a recommendation. If you think you'll
be done in less than 6 months, I don't think so. Notice that I am just
an MCP in two areas at this point and I have been doing this for an awfully
long period of time. I wanted to get certified on specific technologies and
I was able to do that. They are quite marketable, in my experience as a
business owner. I don't have time to take the core tests because I am
swamped with Exchange and SBS work. Prior to my MCP certification, I had to
compete with other uncertified consultants, but now I just compete with the
certified few, which makes my life a lot easier (the SBS cert covers a lot
of core materials from the 70-290-294 series).

There are literally thousands of Webcasts available for you from Microsoft
for free at http://support.microsoft.com/webcasts

I recommend that you review several archived web casts at levels 100 and 200
and see if this is really what you want to get into.
--
Leonid S. Knyshov, CEO
Crashproof Solutions, LLC - http://www.crashproofsolutions.com
MCP Exchange 2003/Small Business Server 2003, CCNA, SCSA 8
Microsoft Small Business Specialist Partner
510-282-1008


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Zm1zbWNzZQ==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2005
I'd recommend you to get lots of experience first (reading, and hands on) and
then try the certs, but forget about br@1n dumps.
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?RWRkaWU=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2006

mcse is a higher salary but you could get your mcsa on your way to mcse.
brain dumps and sites like test king are only good for test prep. these sites
will not help you learn the info.
"fmsmcse" wrote:

> I'd recommend you to get lots of experience first (reading, and hands on) and
> then try the certs, but forget about br@1n dumps.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Cerebrus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2006

Eddie wrote:
> brain dumps and sites like test king are only good for test prep. these sites
> will not help you learn the info.


Br@indumps and sites like sh!tking are illegal, immoral and banned by
MS. Any one found to have used them is likely to have his certs
revoked. Beware !

----------
Cerebrus.
MCNGP #LIV (LIVelier than Windows Live !)

 
Reply With Quote
 
BD [MCNGP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2006
<< While I was at work, Eddie spurted out:
<<------------------------------------------>>
> mcse is a higher salary but you could get your mcsa on your way to
> mcse. brain dumps and sites like test king are only good for test
> prep. these sites will not help you learn the info.
> "fmsmcse" wrote:
>

What is this? fmsmcse??? When did he REstart posting under THAT name? Or is this
thread THAT old?

As Cerebrus pointed out, Br@indumps are illegal....they are not even good for
test preparation. Why even waste yout time with them? Just go the legal route
and you won't have to worry about losing your certs.


Your IP Address has been recorded.

--
BD
MCNGP #51
-- MCNGP.com - You know IT!?
-- www.swppm.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Zm1zbWNzZQ==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2006
"BD [MCNGP]" did pay attention to the conversation and wrote:

> What is this? fmsmcse??? When did he REstart posting under THAT name? Or is this
> thread THAT old?
>


fmsmcse said "...but forget about br@1n dumps."
leave me alone.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Cerebrus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2006

fmsmcse wrote:

> leave me alone.


Oh, don't worry... we've left you a lion. I mean a loin.... No, wait, I
mean a lone.

As the great Frisbee would say :

OK , THANKS, BYE !

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Pays More? MS Certification vs. Cisco Certification vs. IT/MIS emvd007@comcast.net Microsoft Certification 1 01-08-2009 03:37 PM
Which Pays More? MS Certification vs. Cisco Certification vs. IT/MIS emvd007@comcast.net Microsoft Certification 0 01-08-2009 01:02 AM
Microcontrollers: which one ? which language ? which compiler ? The Jesus of Suburbia NZ Computing 2 02-11-2006 06:53 PM
Mike Meyers' Certification Passport (2nd Ed.) vs. A+ All-In-One Certification (5th Ed.) Gondo A+ Certification 6 07-06-2005 08:54 PM



Advertisments