Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > What to charge

What to charge

lee.keneston@gmail.com

I was approached by a colleague of mine to work on a small part time
contract.
He needs the following for the contract.
MCSE, which I am, to do the following...
Build win2k3 server from scratch, create and configure an active
directory domain, DNS,
3 users, 1 site, DHCP, MS VPN, File and printer shares.
Without trying to take advantage, I would like to know what a fair
price is to charge him.
I am fully capable of performing these tasks and more, so it shouldn't
take long,
What do you think? TIA.
Lee

Bob Christian

Lee -
Do you have experience doing this, or is this your chance to learn?
Is this using Windows Small Business Server, or the full-blown Windows
server?
What area of the country?

Bob
--
Bob Christian II
MVP - LCS

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I was approached by a colleague of mine to work on a small part time
> contract.
> He needs the following for the contract.
> MCSE, which I am, to do the following...
> Build win2k3 server from scratch, create and configure an active
> directory domain, DNS,
> 3 users, 1 site, DHCP, MS VPN, File and printer shares.
> Without trying to take advantage, I would like to know what a fair
> price is to charge him.
> I am fully capable of performing these tasks and more, so it shouldn't
> take long,
> What do you think? TIA.
> Lee

=?Utf-8?B?TW9udHJlYWwgTUNTQQ==?=

Hi Lee,

What I charge in Montreal is completely different from what someone would
charge in New York. If you tell me where you are I will get you a more
accurate answer within a few hours, ok?

Let me know!

Mitch

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> I was approached by a colleague of mine to work on a small part time
> contract.
> He needs the following for the contract.
> MCSE, which I am, to do the following...
> Build win2k3 server from scratch, create and configure an active
> directory domain, DNS,
> 3 users, 1 site, DHCP, MS VPN, File and printer shares.
> Without trying to take advantage, I would like to know what a fair
> price is to charge him.
> I am fully capable of performing these tasks and more, so it shouldn't
> take long,
> What do you think? TIA.
> Lee

lee.keneston@gmail.com

upstate, ny

Montreal MCSA wrote:
> Hi Lee,
>
> What I charge in Montreal is completely different from what someone would
> charge in New York. If you tell me where you are I will get you a more
> accurate answer within a few hours, ok?
>
> Let me know!
>
> Mitch
>
> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>
> > I was approached by a colleague of mine to work on a small part time
> > contract.
> > He needs the following for the contract.
> > MCSE, which I am, to do the following...
> > Build win2k3 server from scratch, create and configure an active
> > directory domain, DNS,
> > 3 users, 1 site, DHCP, MS VPN, File and printer shares.
> > Without trying to take advantage, I would like to know what a fair
> > price is to charge him.
> > I am fully capable of performing these tasks and more, so it shouldn't
> > take long,
> > What do you think? TIA.
> > Lee

EggHead

Hi Lee,
if you are Sys Admin
how many hrs you are doing it * what are you making per hr now * 2 ~ 4
(depend on how close you two)
if you are not Sys admin
how many hrs you are doing it * 20 ~ 30 (depend on how close you two) * how
many yrs of win server admin exp you have (cap on 4)
cheers,
Egghead
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> upstate, ny
>

> Montreal MCSA wrote:
>> Hi Lee,
>>
>> What I charge in Montreal is completely different from what someone would
>> charge in New York. If you tell me where you are I will get you a more
>> accurate answer within a few hours, ok?
>>
>> Let me know!
>>
>> Mitch
>>
>> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>>
>> > I was approached by a colleague of mine to work on a small part time
>> > contract.
>> > He needs the following for the contract.
>> > MCSE, which I am, to do the following...
>> > Build win2k3 server from scratch, create and configure an active
>> > directory domain, DNS,
>> > 3 users, 1 site, DHCP, MS VPN, File and printer shares.
>> > Without trying to take advantage, I would like to know what a fair
>> > price is to charge him.
>> > I am fully capable of performing these tasks and more, so it shouldn't
>> > take long,
>> > What do you think? TIA.
>> > Lee

lee.keneston

Thanks all for the advice, as it was a friendly favor and an experience
builder I wasn't concerned but didn't want to get taken advantage of
either.

I have read a few posts that state that I should know since i have my
MCSE and all, however i studied my XXX off to get the mcse mostly to
have a different outlook and a higher level of expertise in my field,
Desktop support, yes maybe overkill, but i think it helps improve my
proccesses and troubleshooting before looking stupid in front of sys
admins. I don't know the ins and outs of consulting or billing only due
to lack of experience.

--
lee.keneston